9 of 10 on 7spd shimano hub?

kgruscho

Nov 13, 2003
I have a bike that I really like, with nice wheels I just built up for it.

It has one flaw, 126mm spacing and a 7spd hub. I know I could respace it, I did that to my other frame, I just don't actually want to.

so I've heard rumors, but is it possible to put 9 of 10 (like the more common 8 of 9 trick) on a 7spd hub?

problem is that the body is too short for a 8/9/10speed cassette; so therefor it's necessary to replace it

(9) 10-speed cogs and spacers "measures" 33.2mm. A 7-speed cassette "measures" 31.85mm. The difference is 1.35mm. Seems like enough threads on the lockring should catch to secure the cassette. You may need to put on a 1 or 2mm axle spacer to give frame clearance.

That is kind of what I figured... anybody tried it out?

To clarify, I know that the body is shorter. But as Sheldon Brown's site indicates, you can still fit 8 cogs of a 9-speed cassette on the body, and it seems like 9 of 10 might work too.

Raises a related question why nobody makes a "time trial" hub and body that only takes 5-7 cogs. With a disc rear wheel, dish is not much of an issue. on a flat time trial riders don't use all of the cogs in back, so using less cogs and less of a body and a thinner axle might be able to make the rear of the bike lighter and more aero. (by small amounts, but hey time trials are all about small amounts)

Gonzo Bob said:
(9) 10-speed cogs and spacers "measures" 33.2mm. A 7-speed cassette "measures" 31.85mm. The difference is 1.35mm. Seems like enough threads on the lockring should catch to secure the cassette. You may need to put on a 1 or 2mm axle spacer to give frame clearance.