9spd, 10spd, & triple - compatibility

noonievut

Jul 5, 2004
I know parts of this topic have been covered here, but I was hoping to have the answers all in one place.

Here are the parts of the drivetrain I currently own:
- Ultegra flighdeck 9spd shifters (2004/2005 era)
- Truvativ triple crank
- Ultegra rear derailleur
- 105 front derailleur
- Sram 9spd cassette (new)
- Shimano (Ultegra?) chain (new)

One of my new-bike options is to get a new frame/fork, add my existing parts (I have new, hand-built wheels), and swap out over time parts over time.

As I replace the drivetrain, I want to end up with mainly Ultegra (if I can find a deal on Dura-Ace, great), I want a compact crank, and I would like 10 speed (new stuff is 10spd anyway); though I'm not entirely sure about adding parts and having them be compatible with my existing, and then future set-ups (is this making sense?).

First thing I would like to change is my crank. Can I jump to a 10-speed Ultegra compact, or FSA compact, and keep the rest? What parts will be incompatible once I start changing.

Again, thanks very much!

noonievut said:
I know parts of this topic have been covered here, but I was hoping to have the answers all in one place.

- Truvativ triple crank
- 105 front derailleur

One of my new-bike options is to get a new frame/fork, add my existing parts (I have new, hand-built wheels), and swap out over time parts over time.

As I replace the drivetrain, I want to end up with mainly Ultegra (if I can find a deal on Dura-Ace, great), I want a compact crank, and I would like 10 speed (new stuff is 10spd anyway); though I'm not entirely sure about adding parts and having them be compatible with my existing, and then future set-ups (is this making sense?).

First thing I would like to change is my crank. Can I jump to a 10-speed Ultegra compact, or FSA compact, and keep the rest? What parts will be incompatible once I start changing.

Again, thanks very much!

Get the shimano compact. MUCH nicer in terms of BB and chainrings. All else you have mentioned is compatible. Put the STI levers on, chain, cogset, front der, adjust, go ride.

noonievut said:

- Truvativ triple crank
- 105 front derailleur

Again, thanks very much!

The only items that are NOT compatible, as you move to 10 speed, are:
shifters: you'll need 10 speed shifters; new 10 speed cassette (spacing is narrower on 10 speed); chain: you'll need a 10 speed chain when you make the move to new 10 speed shifters.
I suggest you stay with 9 speed as long as you can. There is a lot more gearing options (large cog cassettes up to 34 teeth) in 9 speed systems than 10 speed (only up to 28 teeth cogs)

rparedes said:
shifters: you'll need 10 speed shifters; new 10 speed cassette (spacing is narrower on 10 speed); chain: you'll need a 10 speed chain when you make the move to new 10 speed shifters.
I suggest you stay with 9 speed as long as you can. There is a lot more gearing options (large cog cassettes up to 34 teeth) in 9 speed systems than 10 speed (only up to 28 teeth cogs)

So if I upgrade the crank (Shimano-compact)when I get a frame/fork, the rear derailleur is fine (for some reason I thought a derailleur for a triple is different than a double)? If I could deal with only the crank for now that would be great. The cassette and chain are new, the shifters seem to be fine, and the derailleurs are also fine. Maybe I would save up and later replace the shifters, rear/front derailleur, cassette, chain and cables all at once (and the crank would be slightly older, but I think it would fit in with the newer stuff just fine). Cranks and shifters are the most expensive, so I would like to hunt for deals on these and get them over time.

thanks.

noonievut said:
So if I upgrade the crank (Shimano-compact)when I get a frame/fork, the rear derailleur is fine (for some reason I thought a derailleur for a triple is different than a double)? If I could deal with only the crank for now that would be great. The cassette and chain are new, the shifters seem to be fine, and the derailleurs are also fine. Maybe I would save up and later replace the shifters, rear/front derailleur, cassette, chain and cables all at once (and the crank would be slightly older, but I think it would fit in with the newer stuff just fine). Cranks and shifters are the most expensive, so I would like to hunt for deals on these and get them over time.

thanks.
The rear derailleur works with either 9 or 10 speed; what sets the the speed (cog spacing) is the shifter. The only difference is that you have a long cage RD vs a short cage. The long cage works just as well on 10 speed.
The front D: if you want to maintain a triple what you have is OK. If you want to turn into double; with the compact crank, then all you have to do is re-set the limit screws so that it only travels the distance needed for your new double chainring spacing. In effect, you'll be getting rid of the farthest limit (the one used to reach the big chainring on your triple). When there is no tension on the cable (or the cable is not fastened to the FD) the FD should be set to work with the compact small ring, the next click on the shifter should be set to move the FD cage up to the large compact chainring.

rparedes said:

IRD's 10 speed wide ratio cassettes work as well as the Shimano originals. I had a 11-32 set up with Dura Ace 7800 shifters, chain and a XTR rear mech. Worked like a champ. If 32 aint enough then they do a 34 too in 10 speed... If you're a weight weenie then this option aint for you as the cassettes are steel and weigh about just under 100grams more than a comparible XT wide ratio 9 speed.

swampy1970 said:
IRD's 10 speed wide ratio cassettes work as well as the Shimano originals. I had a 11-32 set up with Dura Ace 7800 shifters, chain and a XTR rear mech. Worked like a champ. If 32 aint enough then they do a 34 too in 10 speed... If you're a weight weenie then this option aint for you as the cassettes are steel and weigh about just under 100grams more than a comparible XT wide ratio 9 speed.

I don't have a personal experience with IRD but I can tell you when I considered IRD, I did a web search and the reviews were terrible; noisy, don't shift well, don't buy, could not get it "dialed in", etc. You are the first one I know of giving them a positive review... good to know at least somebody likes IRD cassettes ; )
Anyway, I was just suggesting to the OP that if gearing is a problem, the choices are more if you stay with 9 speed, at least for now.