9th Blow-Out, Back to Dahon!

"Tony Raven" <[email protected]> a écrit:

> I can't help but think you are missing something although what
> that something is I can't help with. It's just not credible that the
> spoke and nipple ends are puncturing an inner tube through two
> layers of rim tape and two layers of inner tube unless there is
> something very obvious like a spoke end sticking out.

I don't think that the spoke or nipple ends are puncturing the tube.

As I've said before, the punctures don't correspond to any obvious feature
of the rim or tyre. The tubes are rupturing, I think, primarily because
they're overstressed through having to fill the void in the deep single-wall
rim. The use of packing material in the rim well is primarily an attempt to
reduce the volume of that void.

http://groups.google.fr/group/uk.rec.cycling/browse_frm/thread/9cabc3bc76aec71e/

http://groups.google.fr/group/uk.rec.cycling/browse_frm/thread/83dc3d9b55e3df83/

http://groups.google.fr/group/uk.rec.cycling/browse_frm/thread/b2d41b1ddcfddff2/

James Thomson

In article <[email protected]>
James Thomson <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Rob Morley" <[email protected]> a écrit:
>
> > It needn't be hard to reverse - if you coat the inside of the rim
> > with vaseline it should stop the silicone from sticking, so it will
> > simply peel off. As for messy, that will depend on the viscosity
> > of the silicone - you will probably need to build it up in thin layers
> > to stop it sagging.

> Applying a viscous liquid to a greased, circular object. I haven't written
> the idea off, but I think you can see why I'd rather try to get away with
> just using fatter inner tubes if possible. Still, if you'd like to research
> materials and methods just in case, your practical contribution would be
> highly appreciated.

I'd love to, but my research would be trying it and I don't have a
suitable rim ...

"Rob Morley" <[email protected]> a écrit:

> I'd love to, but my research would be trying it and I don't
> have a suitable rim ...

Neither do I.

If I'm going to attempt this on Elisa's bike, I need to be confident of
getting it right first time, and lacking experience of this kind of work,
I'm not. That means practising, perhaps with different materials. I have old
rims enough (though none of this style), but I lack time. If you'd actually
done what you're recommending and could suggest specific techniques and
products, that would be very helpful.

James Thomson

Tony Raven wrote:

> Again, haven't read all the thread but have you tried the inner tube
> inside and inner tube trick? Would use up all those scrap inner tubes
> in the process too. Just slit a defunct inner tube along the line
> opposite the spokes, remove valve, insert new inner tube into old, valve
> through hole left by valve, and install.

Hi All,

Back from my Loire Valley holiday about which more in a later thread.
Miraculously, Fly did not blow a tube all week. Just before departing, I
changed the _tyre_, re-added the layer of rim protection cut from one of
the defunct tubes, and changed the tube again. The tube I removed had
not yet failed, but it already had the characteristic dimples around the
valve and a little farther along the rim side.

Your suggestion sounds like a more comprehensive version of the same. I
will try it at the next blow-out. So far, we have had better success
with thick and compact rim liner (blue plastic rim tape or strip cut
from another tube) than with the foam liner.

Perhaps that is the critical factor, or perhaps there really is some
magical relationship to the tyre, despite none of the blow outs being on
the tyre side. The old tyre was getting more and more warped and ever
harder to seat correctly with each new change of tube.

EFR
Ile de France

Elisa Francesca Roselli wrote:

> Your suggestion sounds like a more comprehensive version of the same. I
> will try it at the next blow-out. So far, we have had better success
> with thick and compact rim liner (blue plastic rim tape or strip cut
> from another tube) than with the foam liner.

I have not followed this saga in detail, but why are you not looking to
find a totally different wheel?

catzz66 wrote:

>Elisa Francesca Roselli wrote:
>>

>> Your suggestion sounds like a more comprehensive version of the same. I
>> will try it at the next blow-out. So far, we have had better success
>> with thick and compact rim liner (blue plastic rim tape or strip cut
>> from another tube) than with the foam liner.
>>

>I have not followed this saga in detail, but why are you not looking to
>find a totally different wheel?

It's on a Dahon folder and not a common size in France.

Something that has just occured to me is to try lubricating the tube,
rim and inside of the tyre with talc. This may allow the tube to slide
into position in the rim well without distorting.

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 13:09:10 +0100, Phil Cook
<[email protected]> wrote:

>catzz66 wrote:
>
>>Elisa Francesca Roselli wrote:
>>>

>>> Your suggestion sounds like a more comprehensive version of the same. I
>>> will try it at the next blow-out. So far, we have had better success
>>> with thick and compact rim liner (blue plastic rim tape or strip cut
>>> from another tube) than with the foam liner.
>>>

>>I have not followed this saga in detail, but why are you not looking to
>>find a totally different wheel?

>It's on a Dahon folder and not a common size in France.
>
>Something that has just occured to me is to try lubricating the tube,
>rim and inside of the tyre with talc. This may allow the tube to slide
>into position in the rim well without distorting.

With the cheap international rates, I wonder if something of this
magnitude would warrant a call to Dahon's Customer Service. Hell, they
just might have shipped you one. Nine blow outs? I wouldn't take no
for answer.

Phil Cook wrote:

>>I have not followed this saga in detail, but why are you not looking to
>>find a totally different wheel?

> It's on a Dahon folder and not a common size in France.

Thanks. Even if it I would have lost money, by now I probably would
have bailed on Dahon and put some better wheels on it if I were going to
keep the bike at all. There's someting to be said for having a garden
variety bike where at least some parts are interchangeable/easily
obtainable. I just do not have that much patience.