A couple of training questions

Yippee38

Sep 6, 2005
I've been doing Spinervals on my trainer this winter and I've noticed a couple of things that I have questions about.

When doing very high cadence with low resistance, I bounce all over the place. How do I learn to be smooth when going so fast?

During the sets where you are to stand and pedal, I can do that for about 15 seconds before I'm completely winded, my legs are screaming, and my heartrate goes through the roof. Do I need to work on leg strength, or endurance?

I'm using a Kurt Kinetic trainer with a road bike. The instructions say to turn the knob that pushes the trainer against the tire about two full turns. It also says that I only want it tight enough that it doesn't slip. I've been tightening it three to four turns (four today) and it still slips quite a bit. Well, I can't watch it, but I hear it squealing quite a bit. Could this be a tire pressure issue (using 120lbs), should I leave it as is, tighten it more, or only tighten it two turns and let it slip a bit?

Yippee38 said:
When doing very high cadence with low resistance, I bounce all over the place. How do I learn to be smooth when going so fast?
Relax your upper body and concentrate on kicking over the top and pulling back at the bottom of the stroke. It'll almost feel like pedalling forward/backward rather than up/down.

Yippee38 said:
During the sets where you are to stand and pedal, I can do that for about 15 seconds before I'm completely winded, my legs are screaming, and my heartrate goes through the roof. Do I need to work on leg strength, or endurance?
Endurance. Maybe try a bigger gear and slowing down your cadence as well.

Yippee38 said:
I'm using a Kurt Kinetic trainer with a road bike. The instructions say to turn the knob that pushes the trainer against the tire about two full turns. It also says that I only want it tight enough that it doesn't slip. I've been tightening it three to four turns (four today) and it still slips quite a bit. Well, I can't watch it, but I hear it squealing quite a bit. Could this be a tire pressure issue (using 120lbs), should I leave it as is, tighten it more, or only tighten it two turns and let it slip a bit?
I have to tighten mine well beyond 2 turns to prevent excessive slipping. You don't want it to slip much, if any at all. Mine still squeaks for an instant on each hard downstroke, or when I get out of the saddle.