A Cyclist's Complaint?!

There is wide spread ignorance of the traffic laws pertaining cyclists. People freak if I use a left turn lane at a traffic light. I think like a motorist when I ride so that I can anticipate what a driver is likely to do. I stop for signs and use hand signals including a wave around to indicate it's safe to pass. No hand held devices or dual ear buds are legal here in NYS. Light colored pants and seat stays show up well at night. I plan to use a head and tail light 24/7 along with a fairing.

Never wave traffic to pass around you. They're responsible for determining whether it's clear to pass you or not. Otherwise, if there's an accident, you're going to be blamed.

jpr95 said:
Never wave traffic to pass around you.  They're responsible for determining whether it's clear to pass you or not.  Otherwise, if there's an accident, you're going to be blamed.
Blame. I don't think that will happen given their responsibility for passing safely. There are the odd occasions when I'll wave a car around. They can choose whether or not to act on the wave.

Originally Posted by Grant-53 .

There is wide spread ignorance of the traffic laws pertaining cyclists...
Definitely.

I find myself having to explain many of the laws to my co workers, who like to complain about the local bikers here in downtown DC. I even offered them a copy of the cylcing laws for MD, DC and VA and they just buffed at me. They constantly complain about how bikers don't stop completely at stop signs etc. and I agree with them because I see it, too. However, when I ask them how often do they drive the exact speed limit, or have they ever not completely stopped at stop signs when there are no other cars around or parked illegally, they then stop and think about it and want to skip the subject. I remind them that they break the laws in their vehicles, too. Funny, it shuts them up though. As a matter of fact, I have not heard any complaints since.

This topic made me contact my insurance company to see if any of my policies covers (extends) to me if I were to cause damage to property or person. I have an $1 million personal umbrella policy (PLUP) and ironically, it list a few recreational vehicles, except a bike, such as ATV, go-cart, dune buggy, minibike. They are checking on this for me. I told them I need to know this sooner rather than later. Also, if I recall correctly, unissured motorist insurance is mandatory in MD. I could be wrong, but either way, I have it on all our vehicles.

Al

Auto liability coverage (to cover another person's injuries who you hurt while operating a vehicle) does NOT usually cover you on a bike if you negligently hurt someone's person or property. Maybe homeowner's insurance might cover this - that is what you should check.

Chris Burns, Attorney for Cyclists
email: [email protected]

Most all of the US use comparitives fault when determining liability in a given incident. I think blame falls into the strict laibility category which does not apply under normal circumstances. Black and White does not generally apply either , there are always gray areas , otherwise litigators would be out of business.

Here in Elmira, NY the local drivers often wave to each other at stop signs. I find it helpful to signal my intentions when passing parked cars on narrow side streets. Anything to promote cordial communication between motorists and cyclists is worth consideration. Reading the state statutes and your insurance policies may be boring but profitable. Never assume it can't happen to you.