a new convert to the Dark Side?

In message <[email protected]>, Myra VanInwegen
<[email protected]> writes
>It seems that being pregnant is bad for your circulation.

It's bad for many things. My wifes hip never recovered properly (she was virtually unable to walk in
the last month of the pregnancy - and spent the last weeks a work hobbling around with a stick. :-(

>I worry that I may be doing real damage to my left hand. There are two obvious solutions:
>(1) drive to work
>(2) buy a recumbent

>So I think (2) is a better option.

I could do with an excuse like that.......

--
Chris French, Leeds

When you look at how the body is supported with these bizzare machines, they probably can't
be beaten. I'd very much like one myself, but I'd be so damn nervous about taking it on the
road I think.

Get the mid-wife on board too and you're almost ready to give birth there and then!

bob

>It seems that being pregnant is bad for your circulation. A couple times I've woken up in the
>middle of the night with my left hand tingling madly. (I've had problems with poor circulation in
>my left hand for years, since a serious bout with RSI in '96, but it's gotten markedly worse in the
>past month). Last night I had the indignity of a cramp in my left calf to add to it (it's amazing
>how breathtakingly painful a cramp is!)
>
>As I ride to work (trip of 3.5 miles) my left hand gets tingly fairly quickly and soon I can barely
>feel it. I shake it around, which helps relieve it a bit, but I worry that I've got less control
>over the bike when I do this. After I get to work it comes back to life quite quickly, but feels
>funny for quite some time. My right hand gets a tiny bit tingly, but nothing to worry about.
>
>I worry that I may be doing real damage to my left hand. There are two obvious solutions:
>(1) drive to work
>(2) buy a recumbent I could do (1), but that would really restrict my mobility. I can drive between
> work and home without too much hassle, but any trip into town would become vastly more
> complicated as I couldn't use the many cycle routes and I'd have to worry about parking. So I
> think (2) is a better option. Especially as I've been wanting a Trice for quite some time. So
> I've phoned up Kevin at D.Tek (recumbent and other weird bikes shop in Little Thetford about 10
> miles north of Cambridge) and had a discussion about recumbent trikes. He's got quite a few in
> stock. So in a couple weeks time I may be commuting to work on three wheels!
>
>-Myra

I think there would be a lot of converts to the Dark Side (myself included) if we could afford one.

I reckon I /may/ be able to afford one in a year or so (I dream of an SMGT), provided I don't do
anything silly like moving house.

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 18:38:09 +0000, Bob Flemming <[email protected]> wrote:

>When you look at how the body is supported with these bizzare machines, they probably can't
>be beaten. I'd very much like one myself, but I'd be so damn nervous about taking it on the
>road I think.

I rode one to work today through the snow and ice - a two-wheeler at that.

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

In article <[email protected]>, one of infinite monkeys at the
keyboard of [email protected] (Myra VanInwegen) wrote:

> As I ride to work (trip of 3.5 miles) my left hand gets tingly fairly quickly and soon I can
> barely feel it. I shake it around, which helps relieve it a bit, but I worry that I've got less
> control over the bike when I do this.

I have that problem (in both hands) on straight bars. Drops are the solution.

--
Wear your paunch with pride!

Myra, .........................just do it! Have you seen the Pixie from Trice? For what it's worth
try and go and see them at Trice, I have a s/h Classic and on my visit to them they made me
extremely welcome. I don't know much about the windcheeta but I don't think I have ever seen a
better made product anywhere than the Trices that ICE make. I don't think you will ever regret it,
the only reservation I would have is if you have to ride in very dense traffic cos. it's a bit
low, so because of this I don't ride mine in central London but it's use in the suburbs is fine. I
just love it!!

news:[email protected]...

Bob Flemming wrote:

>When you look at how the body is supported with these bizzare machines, they probably can't
>be beaten. I'd very much like one myself, but I'd be so damn nervous about taking it on the
>road I think.

Nothing much to be nervous about, really.

Difficult to ride? I got bad hand/eye co-ordination and impaired fine motor control (took me years
to learn to tie my shoe-laces) yet I ride a lowracer everywhere (including indoors).

Dangerous? Visibility is better on a recumbent (but use a mirror!), braking is safer, and taking a
fall far less serious than on an DF bike

Expensive? Well yes. Worth every penny though.

Mark van Gorkom.

On 30 Jan 2003 06:12:41 -0800, Myra VanInwegen <[email protected]> wrote:

> As I ride to work (trip of 3.5 miles) my left hand gets tingly fairly quickly and soon I can
> barely feel it.
>
> I worry that I may be doing real damage to my left hand. There are two obvious solutions:
> (1) drive to work
> (2) buy a recumbent

> time. So I've phoned up Kevin at D.Tek (recumbent and other weird bikes shop in Little Thetford
> about 10 miles north of Cambridge) and had a discussion about recumbent trikes. He's got quite a
> few in stock. So in a couple weeks time I may be commuting to work on three wheels!

Hmm, since it's fir medical purposes, could you get it on prescription? And being pregnant, you
wouldn't even need to pay the prescription charge!

Great fun coming home tonight with the back sliding around on the snow. Only problem was I couldn't
get much speed up due to wheelspinning when I accelerated.

Less fun when the imbecile pillock moron in the lexus overtook in such a way as to dump the heap of
slush down the middle of the road in my face (mouthful of salty gritty muck) and down my neck.
What's more he crept past at such a little above my speed that I was being showered in teh stuff for
several long, long seconds.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 19:09:08 +0000, [email protected] (Nick Kew) wrote:

>> As I ride to work (trip of 3.5 miles) my left hand gets tingly fairly quickly and soon I can
>> barely feel it. I shake it around, which helps relieve it a bit, but I worry that I've got less
>> control over the bike when I do this.

>I have that problem (in both hands) on straight bars. Drops are the solution.

Nah - drops reduce the problem, the Dark Side *eliminates* it :)

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 20:18:51 +0000 (UTC), Ian Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

>Less fun when the imbecile pillock moron in the lexus overtook in such a way as to dump the heap of
>slush down the middle of the road in my face

How dare you complain? He's got a Lexus - that means he's a Road Owner!

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 21:37:07 -0000, "Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I've only just noticed that, as far as I can tell with the h*lm*et in the way, the dead mouse is
>the only hair on Guy's head that isn't grey - maybe that's why he keeps it there ;-)

It's not a mouse, it's a caterpillar, and its name is Arthur.

It is there for an excellent reason which I forgot nearly twenty years ago. Between us my Dad & I
have a full set of whiskers - he has the beard but no tache. His students used to call him Uncle
Abraham, he being of above average height. But never to his face, he being of above average width
(and not fat, either). I am over an inch shorter than he was in his prime, and 4" less in the chest.
And considerably less loud, as any of his former students will readily testify :)

>Strange, I thought facial hair usually went silver first.

My hair started going grey when I was 18. Could be worse - my mate Mike was bald by the age of 20.

>My Dad shaved his 'tache off about a year ago, after it went silver, but his hair's still mostly
>brown. And my FIL has a white beard with black hair.

My Dad had a beard which went ginger as his hair went grey (in his
30s), so he sensibly shaved the beard off until it grew a proper white colour. He was in his late
40s by that time, I think.

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

Guy wrote:
> My hair started going grey when I was 18. Could be worse - my mate Mike was bald by the age of 20.

Hmm. I'm now resigned to the fact that I will have no hair on the top of my head by the time I'm 40.
This despite the fact that my Dad still has a full head of hair at 50, and neither of my
grandfathers showed any signs of thinning before they reached their 70s. I'm thinking of giving up
mirrors, because I can't get used to seeing scalp and there seems to be more every time I look. And,
for marital reasons, I'm not allowed to grow a beard to make up for it :-(

I like meeting up with old friends from university just because some of them have much less hair
than I do :)

The only benefit I've found is that for the last couple of years I've been able to wear a h*lm*t
without having to worry about h*lm*t hair.

Thomas Paine

In message <[email protected]>, Myra VanInwegen
<[email protected]> writes
> So in a couple weeks time I may be commuting to work on three wheels!
>
>-Myra

There's a bit of ancient folk wisdom on that. A fish needs a car like a man needs a woman needs a
bike. No, hang on a bit. I've nearly got it. It's on the tip of my wossname, thingy, you know. Um. A
man needs a h*lm*t like a fish needs a woman? Naah, too obvious. A woman needs a baby like a man
needs a fish. Yeah... err, no

'snot it.

d*mn

A man needs a fish like a woman needs a, wossname, thingy, wedgie, y'know... getting there...

The North Sea needs a cod like a paunch needs an intestine....

no, no, get a grip Keatinge, you're wandering...

A woman needs a bike like a bike needs a flasher.... yecch

A man needs a woman like Myra needs a trike! Yeah! That's it! I've got it! Ancient folk wisdom wins
again. Myra, welcome to the Dark Side. You have nothing to lose but your self-respect, your dignity,
and the entire contents of your wallet. Now you will feel true, uncontaminated, soul-filling lust!
You will quench your revolting desires in moving rubber! You will finally be in tune with the
majority of the (sub)human race.

Anyway, trikes are fun. So are w*m*n... but then, I don't even really love my Moulton. I just say
that to get it into bed.

--
Richard Keatinge

http://www.keatinge.demon.co.uk/pedal.htm

Danny Colyer wrote:

> Hmm. I'm now resigned to the fact that I will have no hair on the top of my head by the
> time I'm 40.

I'm 36, and have had nothing on top for a wee while now. For the last year I've gone from giving the
pitiful remainder a Number 0 once a month to just shaving the whole lot regularly with the rest of
my face, and no regrets.

It's a lot less effort (no fiddly bits to trim carefully, and no shampoo required), since I needed a
hat anyway I'm no worse off than I was before, most people (in fact I think everyone except my mum)
think it looks better.

Thought experiment for you: think captains of the starship Enterprise in the "Generations" film.
Which one has the best hair? Case closed, I think... $;-/ (;-)

Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Eddie Dubourg wrote:
> I think there would be a lot of converts to the Dark Side (myself included) if we could
> afford one.
>
> I reckon I /may/ be able to afford one in a year or so (I dream of an SMGT), provided I don't do
> anything silly like moving house.

It's a very real concern, and I doubt I'd have one if I hadn't got my first at a bargain price
second hand. On the upside, something like a SMGT doesn't cost you much (if any) more than a similar
standard (componentry and build, not comfort where it's way ahead) of diamond frame tourer. Not that
that makes it any cheaper, mind... :-(

Bob Flemming wrote:
> When you look at how the body is supported with these bizzare machines, they probably can't
> be beaten.

That's why some of us ride them, but they're only "bizarre" through being relatively unusual. The
first ones appeared in the 19th Century, and one early model was called the "Normal", because it had
the rider sitting normally instead of perched high up like the Ordinary of the day... Why didn't
they catch on? The UCI banning them from cycle sport as not being bikes didn't help, after the hour
record was taken on one back in 1932. Once you've been riding around in a comfy chair for a while it
seems rather bizarre to want to ride on anything else where comfort is the main priority, and the
strange attempts of racers to get round aerodynamic device bans (handlebars that reduce control and
restrict forward vision, teardrop helmets that are more dangerous in some respects than a cycling
cap, for example) look *very* silly compared to just getting in an aerodynamic prone position and
popping a fairing on!

> I'd very much like one myself, but I'd be so damn nervous about taking it on the road I think.

Start off on a quiet back road with no traffic, just the same as learning to ride any other sort
of bike, of course. And once you have confidence in your mastery of the machine, out into the
Real World.

Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

> It's a very real concern, and I doubt I'd have one if I hadn't got my first at a bargain price
> second hand. On the upside, something like a SMGT doesn't cost you much (if any) more than a
> similar standard (componentry and build, not comfort where it's way ahead) of diamond frame
> tourer. Not that that makes it any cheaper, mind... :-(

Alas no :-(

As you say though, you can get one for about 1500 notes, which isn't exhorbitant, given it's quality
(add Rohloffs and SONs and watch the price soar) but it's 1450 notes more than I have at the moment.
But, I've paid off my MDG, and I'm saving, so watch this space......

I'll keep an eye out for second-hand units.

Until then, I'll just have to keep going back to Kinetics to drool.

Eddie Dubourg wrote:

> I'll keep an eye out for second-hand units.
>=20
> Until then, I'll just have to keep going back to Kinetics to drool.

Keep an eye on Ben's bulletin board: there was a s/h one in Edinburgh=20 advertised there recently
for =A3950. *Still* not cheap, but cheap*er*, =

at least. Very pleased I got the SON lighting on mine, couldn't afford=20 the Rohloff :-( (but I'll
probably get one when I've worn out the first =

back block (but a way to go there yet!)).

One thing about the bike and typical Edinburgh conditions: if you stay=20 in a tenement anywhere
other than the ground floor and don't have=20 alternative accommodation for one, you're frankly
probably better=20 looking elsewhere. It's a pig to lug up stairs, especially around tight =

corners.

Pete. --=20 Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics,
Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email protected]
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/