A nice afternoon

David Martin

Guest
Dundee City Centre was closed for lots of kids to pootle around the
city centre. Halfords were doing a good turn in checking 800odd bikes
for soundness, all kids registered got given a goody bag (fluo yellow
with reflectives) containing a helmet, reflective wrap, snacks etc. It
was a shame they didn't see fit to put in a copy of the childrens
highway code for cyclists (if such a thing exists).

Anyway it was a good chance to get loads of kids on bikes and having
fun. It might be interesting to see if they could run a criterium on
the closed course.. that would be entertaining.

...d

David Martin wrote:
> Dundee City Centre was closed for lots of kids to pootle around the
> city centre. Halfords were doing a good turn in checking 800odd bikes
> for soundness, all kids registered got given a goody bag (fluo yellow
> with reflectives) containing a helmet, reflective wrap, snacks etc. It
> was a shame they didn't see fit to put in a copy of the childrens
> highway code for cyclists (if such a thing exists).

It does. It's called Arrive Alive. Published by DfT.
Product code T/INF 353
Can be ordered (free) on 0870 1226 236.

Al C-F wrote:
> David Martin wrote:
> > Dundee City Centre was closed for lots of kids to pootle around the
> > city centre. Halfords were doing a good turn in checking 800odd bikes
> > for soundness, all kids registered got given a goody bag (fluo yellow
> > with reflectives) containing a helmet, reflective wrap, snacks etc. It
> > was a shame they didn't see fit to put in a copy of the childrens
> > highway code for cyclists (if such a thing exists).
> >

> It does. It's called Arrive Alive. Published by DfT.
> Product code T/INF 353
> Can be ordered (free) on 0870 1226 236.

Many thanks for that. It was clearly an 'oversight' (single issue
focussed anyone?) I have penned a letter to the local rag complimenting
them on the event, but being surprised that a 'cycle safety event'
didn't include a copy (which they could have got for the price of a
phone call), or even mention anything about avoiding accidents.

...d

David Martin wrote:
> Al C-F wrote:
>
>>David Martin wrote:
>>
>>>Dundee City Centre was closed for lots of kids to pootle around the
>>>city centre. Halfords were doing a good turn in checking 800odd bikes
>>>for soundness, all kids registered got given a goody bag (fluo yellow
>>>with reflectives) containing a helmet, reflective wrap, snacks etc. It
>>>was a shame they didn't see fit to put in a copy of the childrens
>>>highway code for cyclists (if such a thing exists).
>>>

>>It does. It's called Arrive Alive. Published by DfT.
>>Product code T/INF 353
>>Can be ordered (free) on 0870 1226 236.

> Many thanks for that. It was clearly an 'oversight' (single issue
> focussed anyone?) I have penned a letter to the local rag complimenting
> them on the event, but being surprised that a 'cycle safety event'
> didn't include a copy (which they could have got for the price of a
> phone call), or even mention anything about avoiding accidents.

My pleasure. Easy to find the info because I have a bundle of them from
Hants CC for my cycle training class.