a very nice afternoon....

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Dave, Aug 12, 2003.

  1. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Well, finally got No.2 son out for a cross country ride around Cannock Chase, very nice it was too!
    Took 4 hours to do 12 miles, but he said he enjoyed it...and to be honest, I did too! He's on an old
    Raleigh Max, steel, twice as heavy as my cheapo cromoly job. Neither of us had got suspension
    (haven't told him about my saddle springs ;-) and although there wasn't any heavy duty off-roading,
    he did get little tasters of downhill, singletrack and cross country. He loved it but was
    embarrassed at having to get off and push for several of the inclines (uphill, not down!). We've now
    agreed that we'll go on a daily 5 mile round trip on the bikes and I reckon by the end of the year
    he'll be able to do the route without having to stop for a rest or getting off to push. He's only 10
    but I think I've finally managed to get him out of the couch ;-) Dave - one happy bunny.....

    Tags:

  2. Nice place round there - Great Wyrley and that. Been nicked by the cops there yet with all them
    bleedin' speed cameras all over the place?

    Slim

    "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Well, finally got No.2 son out for a cross country ride around Cannock Chase, very nice it was
    > too! Took 4 hours to do 12 miles, but he said he enjoyed it...and to be honest,
    > did too! He's on an old Raleigh Max, steel, twice as heavy as my cheapo cromoly
    job.
    > Neither of us had got suspension (haven't told him about my saddle springs ;-) and although there
    > wasn't any heavy duty off-roading, he did get
    little
    > tasters of downhill, singletrack and cross country. He loved it but was embarrassed at having to
    > get off and push for several of the inclines (uphill, not down!). We've now agreed that we'll go
    > on a daily 5 mile
    round
    > trip on the bikes and I reckon by the end of the year he'll be able to do the route without having
    > to stop for a rest or getting off to push. He's only 10 but I think I've finally managed to get
    > him out of the couch ;-) Dave - one happy bunny.....

  3. Dave

    Dave Guest

    > "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Well, finally got No.2 son out for a cross country ride around Cannock Chase, very nice it was
    > > too! Took 4 hours to do 12 miles, but he said he enjoyed it...and to be
    honest,
    > > did too! He's on an old Raleigh Max, steel, twice as heavy as my cheapo cromoly
    > job.
    > > Neither of us had got suspension (haven't told him about my saddle
    springs
    > > ;-) and although there wasn't any heavy duty off-roading, he did get
    > little
    > > tasters of downhill, singletrack and cross country. He loved it but was embarrassed at having to
    > > get off and push for several of the inclines (uphill, not down!). We've now agreed that we'll go
    > > on a daily 5 mile
    > round
    > > trip on the bikes and I reckon by the end of the year he'll be able to
    do
    > > the route without having to stop for a rest or getting off to push. He's only 10 but I think
    > > I've finally managed to get him out of the
    couch
    > > ;-) Dave - one happy bunny.....
    > >

    > "The Real Slim Shady" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Nice place round there - Great Wyrley and that. Been nicked by the cops there yet with all them
    > bleedin' speed cameras all over the place?
    >
    > Slim

    Not at 3mph!!....but seriously.....no. I lost my licence several years ago, prior to the current
    flourishing of speed cameras. This helped me realise that the reason the speed limit reinforcement
    goes on is because someone has deemed that the speed limit is the maximum safe speed for that
    particular area. Having realised this I now always keep within the speed limit. I also realised it's
    a limit not a target....It also helped me get back into cycling, so can't complain ;-) Although
    Great Wyrley has some kind of a record for speed cameras, I believe the stretch of road from J10M6
    to Walsall probably has the record for traffic lights. This is also more effective at speed
    restriction. No-one can actually get to break the speed limit before having to pull up for the next
    set of lights ;-) Dave.