A prediction.

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Carla A-G, May 7, 2003.

  1. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    Rear derailleurs will be a thing of the past. Once internally geared hubs are improved and lightened
    in weight, they will be available on all geared bikes.

    - CA-G shooting herself in the foot...

    Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

    Tags:

  2. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    > Rear derailleurs will be a thing of the past. Once internally geared hubs are improved and
    > lightened in weight, they will be available on all geared bikes.

    Internal hubs have some benefits, to be sure; but they're not for me, thanks.

    I recently bought a bike (Van Dessel Super Fly) with the Shimano Nexus Inter-7 internally-geared
    hub. I'm selling the bike, mainly because of the noticeable friction in the rear hub. It's like I'm
    always pedalling up hill. The bike is pretty sweet otherwise; but that hub is terrible. I realize
    that I crave efficient, light bikes, and that all-weather reliability of the geartrain isn't that
    important (though derailleurs seem to do very well on that score).

    I've heard the same thing about the Rohloff hub (though I haven't tried one). Beautiful engineering;
    but noticeable friction from the enormous number of gears spinning around inside. I've heard that
    the SRAM/Sachs Spectro 7 is better; but I'm not eager to try it after trying the Shimano 7-speed
    internal hub.

    Methinks I'll stick to the ultra-light weight and 95+% efficiency of chain-driven derailleur-based
    multi-gear systems. When internal hubs reach 95% efficiency, then we can talk.

    Sorry to rain on your parade, Carla.

    -Barry

  3. Andy Chequer

    Andy Chequer Guest

    Methinks I'll stick to the ultra-light weight and 95+% efficiency of
    > chain-driven derailleur-based multi-gear systems. When internal hubs
    reach
    > 95% efficiency, then we can talk.
    >
    > Sorry to rain on your parade, Carla.
    >
    > -Barry

    Exactly what I thought of the Nexus powered bike I tried last week. I got off a few times to check
    the brakes weren't binding. I felt bummed because I want(ed) one for a commuter hack.

    Andy Chequer

  4. Dick

    Dick Guest

    Carla A-G wrote:

    > Rear derailleurs will be a thing of the past. Once internally geared hubs are improved and
    > lightened in weight, they will be available on all geared bikes.
    >
    > - CA-G shooting herself in the foot...
    >
    > Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

    I wish it would get here sooner. I would install a Rohloff tomorrow except for two things:

    1. Too much weight on the rear wheel. I would gladly carry around the extra weight but having it all
    on the rear wheel reall throws the front/rear balance off.

    2. Gripshift sucks

    Oh, and I'd have to cut off an arm with my pocket knife to pay for it.

  5. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

    Someone will perfect the invention one of these days, eliminating your particular concern.

    --
    - Zilla (Remove XSPAM)

    "Andy Chequer" <[email protected](youdontwantthisbitinit)thisisasparagus.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Methinks I'll stick to the ultra-light weight and 95+% efficiency of
    > > chain-driven derailleur-based multi-gear systems. When internal hubs
    > reach
    > > 95% efficiency, then we can talk.
    > >
    > > Sorry to rain on your parade, Carla.
    > >
    > > -Barry
    >
    > Exactly what I thought of the Nexus powered bike I tried last week. I got off a few times to check
    > the brakes weren't binding. I felt bummed because
    > want(ed) one for a commuter hack.
    >
    > Andy Chequer

  6. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    "Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Someone will perfect the invention one of these days, eliminating your particular concern.

    I think so too and I think that's what Carla is saying too. Seems likely to me too.

    Matt

  7. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

  8. "Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote

    > Rear derailleurs will be a thing of the past.

    Whats?

    CC

  9. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    "Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Someone will perfect the invention one of these days, eliminating your particular concern.

    Oh? And what type of internal geartrain would they invent that is 95% efficient? The problem with
    internal hubs is that they use planetary geartrains, which have quite a bit of friction. That can't
    be engineered out, unless they find a way to abandon the use of planetary gears altogether.

    Basically, there's a reason why good ol' greasy, exposed-to-the-elements chains-n-cogs drivetrains
    utterly dominate the cycling world: They're some of the most perfect machines ever designed.

    -Barry

    > > Methinks I'll stick to the ultra-light weight and 95+% efficiency of
    > > > chain-driven derailleur-based multi-gear systems. When internal hubs
    > > reach
    > > > 95% efficiency, then we can talk.
    > > >
    > > > Sorry to rain on your parade, Carla.
    > > >
    > > > -Barry
    > >
    > > Exactly what I thought of the Nexus powered bike I tried last week. I
    got
    > > off a few times to check the brakes weren't binding. I felt bummed
    because
    > > want(ed) one for a commuter hack.
    > >
    > > Andy Chequer

  10. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > Rear derailleurs will be a thing of the past. Once internally geared hubs are improved and
    > lightened in weight, they will be available on all geared bikes.
    >
    > - CA-G shooting herself in the foot...
    >
    > Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

    And next thing you know, shift levers will change from just numbers, to D, OD, 3, 2, and 1. ;-)
    --
    ~Travis

    travis57 at megalink dot net

  11. Carla A-G wrote:
    > Rear derailleurs will be a thing of the past.

    sounds good to me!

    > Once internally geared hubs are improved and lightened in weight,

    And the price is comparable "Wireless" shifting would be way cool too!

  12. ClydesdaleMTB says:

    >"Wireless" shifting would be way cool too!

    "Brain to legs - we're going uphill in a minute. Get some mo on and start pumping!"

    Sounds like wireless shifting to me...

    ;-)

    Steve

  13. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    > ClydesdaleMTB says:
    >
    > >"Wireless" shifting would be way cool too!
    >
    > "Brain to legs - we're going uphill in a minute. Get some mo on and start pumping!"
    >
    > Sounds like wireless shifting to me...

    Wheeler? That you?!?

    Bill "you know he'll be along eventually" S.

  14. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Wed, 7 May 2003 14:03:42 -0400, "Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Rear derailleurs will be a thing of the past.

    uh, will be?

    >- CA-G shooting herself in the foot...
    >
    >Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

    Hope that foot heals, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector,
    that is, the mind should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
    :-]

  15. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    > > ClydesdaleMTB says:
    > >
    > > >"Wireless" shifting would be way cool too!
    > >
    > > "Brain to legs - we're going uphill in a minute. Get some mo on and start pumping!"
    > >
    > > Sounds like wireless shifting to me...
    >
    > Wheeler? That you?!?
    >
    > Bill "you know he'll be along eventually" S.

    Bring him on.....I got animated gifs this time!
    --
    Slacker

  16. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> Someone will perfect the invention one of these days, eliminating your particular concern.
    >
    >I think so too and I think that's what Carla is saying too. Seems likely to me too.

    It'll probably take a suspension of the laws of physics though... sorry. Don't think it's very
    likely, though I don't see any reason internally geared hubs couldn't get better than they are.

  17. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

  18. John Morgan

    John Morgan Guest

    > Rear derailleurs will be a thing of the past. Once internally geared hubs are improved and
    > lightened in weight, they will be available on all geared bikes.

    I long for the day this becomes reality. Let the naysayers deny the possibilities all they want. I
    trust that technology will surprise us yet again, and we will have some sort of gear hub to replace
    derailers. Question is when, and how much? My only worry is that nobody out there really seems
    motivated to invent a better gear hub...

    -John Morgan

  19. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

  20. Carla A-G wrote:
    > Rear derailleurs will be a thing of the past. Once internally geared hubs are improved and
    > lightened in weight, they will be available on all geared bikes.
    >
    > - CA-G shooting herself in the foot...
    >
    > Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

    I like the easy confidence with which people cast off this notion.

    The problem with paradigm shifts is that you never can see them coming.

    A (Iused to wear a pardigm shift around the house until I got a MuuMuu)

    --
    My hands are full of thorns but I can't quit groping for the rose.