A Question of Recovery

BikeT

May 8, 2007
Looking for some advice on recovery. 40 year old Cat 4 racers focusing on TT this year with other things. Targeting breaking 58 in a 40k.

Here is the issue. Each year I start with a well planned training season for the spring / summer and since I travel, that plan gets trashed. I follow a three week block, one week recovery style plan and basically follow the “power training” systems ( I tend to do a hard Tues / Thursday and endurance Wed, recovery on Friday and weekend blend a local race and/or long rides with some race pace stuff…Monday off) and average around 12 - 14 hours a week in training. Then April / May comes and I end up traveling and here comes the confusion. What happens is I end with one good week of training, then miss two days the next week, then one the week after that. I don’t try to “make up” workouts but what I do is not take the recovery week. I still am getting in good intensity rides as I miss days and will average 8 – 10 hours in a travel week. My power / racing is plateu and I am confused is it losing fitness or not takeing the recovery.

The question, with the reduced hours should I build in a recovery week or is the low time on the bike (with some higher intensities) recovery enough?