A Rans Screemer tandem owners Question?

bruce

Guest
I'm now on my 4th chain guide. Seems like after shifting out of the granny
and up a gear or two I break off the white plastic chain guide that's above
the skate wheel under the stoker seat. I figure this must be a common
problem on this bike and I hope some one can help figure out a solution! The
tandems only got 500 miles or should I say I only have 500 miles This could
be operator error but it not clear exactly what I am doing to cause this.
You input on this will be appreciated..

Can you do without it? I know on our tandem, not a Screamer, I removed some
of the troublesome guides and have had no problems.(over 4 thousand miles)
Same for my single recumbents. My latest single bike had a maze of chain
idlers, etc. I kept the simplest set-up possible and threw away most of it.
Works fine.
Perry
"bruce" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm now on my 4th chain guide. Seems like after shifting out of the granny
> and up a gear or two I break off the white plastic chain guide that's

above
> the skate wheel under the stoker seat. I figure this must be a common
> problem on this bike and I hope some one can help figure out a solution!

The
> tandems only got 500 miles or should I say I only have 500 miles This

could
> be operator error but it not clear exactly what I am doing to cause this.
> You input on this will be appreciated..

Make a new one from flat aluminum stock, about 3/4" x 1/8" thick. Buy it at
local HW store ,comes in different lengths. Cut off a short piece ,bend 90
degree angle,drill hole ,for mounting behind idler or idler mounting
bracket.
Make sure it is positioned close enough to idler so chain can't slip out.
I make them all the time ,they never bend.
Ben fox

"bruce" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm now on my 4th chain guide. Seems like after shifting out of the granny
> and up a gear or two I break off the white plastic chain guide that's

above
> the skate wheel under the stoker seat. I figure this must be a common
> problem on this bike and I hope some one can help figure out a solution!

The
> tandems only got 500 miles or should I say I only have 500 miles This

could
> be operator error but it not clear exactly what I am doing to cause this.
> You input on this will be appreciated..

I expect that I will make some kind of beefed up guide to keep the chain in
place. The Aluminum would be the lightest. One thought was to put the
plastic guide in with a spring mounting so they just move instead of
breaking. Thanks for the suggestions.

"Ben Fox" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Make a new one from flat aluminum stock, about 3/4" x 1/8" thick. Buy it

at
> local HW store ,comes in different lengths. Cut off a short piece ,bend 90
> degree angle,drill hole ,for mounting behind idler or idler mounting
> bracket.
> Make sure it is positioned close enough to idler so chain can't slip out.
> I make them all the time ,they never bend.
> Ben fox
>
> "bruce" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I'm now on my 4th chain guide. Seems like after shifting out of the

granny
> > and up a gear or two I break off the white plastic chain guide that's

> above
> > the skate wheel under the stoker seat. I figure this must be a common
> > problem on this bike and I hope some one can help figure out a solution!

> The
> > tandems only got 500 miles or should I say I only have 500 miles This

> could
> > be operator error but it not clear exactly what I am doing to cause

this.
> > You input on this will be appreciated..

You could also replace it with a bolt covered with plastic tubing,that's
what i did on one of my Rans bikes.
Ben
"bruce" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I expect that I will make some kind of beefed up guide to keep the chain

in
> place. The Aluminum would be the lightest. One thought was to put the
> plastic guide in with a spring mounting so they just move instead of
> breaking. Thanks for the suggestions.
>

> "Ben Fox" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Make a new one from flat aluminum stock, about 3/4" x 1/8" thick. Buy it

> at
> > local HW store ,comes in different lengths. Cut off a short piece ,bend

90
> > degree angle,drill hole ,for mounting behind idler or idler mounting
> > bracket.
> > Make sure it is positioned close enough to idler so chain can't slip

out.
> > I make them all the time ,they never bend.
> > Ben fox
> >
> > "bruce" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > I'm now on my 4th chain guide. Seems like after shifting out of the

> granny
> > > and up a gear or two I break off the white plastic chain guide that's

> > above
> > > the skate wheel under the stoker seat. I figure this must be a common
> > > problem on this bike and I hope some one can help figure out a

solution!
> > The
> > > tandems only got 500 miles or should I say I only have 500 miles This

> > could
> > > be operator error but it not clear exactly what I am doing to cause

> this.
> > > You input on this will be appreciated..

That's the easiest fix, and cheap. It is a common problem on the Screamers,
per several owners I have talked to. It has also happened to mine, and my
Bike Mechanic said to fix it in this way also.

Jim Vincent
RANS Screamer - Vision R50

Thanks I like this idea!
Bruce