A Recommendation: Bikesmith Design 155mm Cranks

Tony

Guest
I've recently read discussions of the merits of shorter cranks for recumbent riders. After trying a
155mm Dotek BMX crank on an older Wizwheelz Terratrike, I've become a convert. The only problem with
switching to short BMX cranks is that most are set up for one or two chainrings with no granny, a
real problem for recumbent riders in hilly areas.

Mark Stonich to the rescue! Mark is now offering a custom 155mm triple crank through his Bikesmith
Design company (www.bikesmithdesign.com).

I just received my Bikesmith 155mm crank. I ordered mine with 54/44/32 Sugino chainrings for use on
my soon-to-arrive Teesdale trike. The quality of the machining is impressive, and the crank met my
requirements exactly. Like Mark says, "Unfortunately, the economics of assembling a crankset from
individual parts means you end up paying Ultegra prices." However, I think they were well worth the
$145 (shipped) purchase price.

If you're considering "going shorter", give the Bikesmith Design crank a look.

Regards,

Tony

(no, Mark didn't pay me to say nice things about his work - I'm just a happy customer)

Tony wrote:
> ... If you're considering "going shorter", give the Bikesmith Design crank a look.

Tony,

You should have put one of those cranks on the Dragonflyer before you sold it to me! ;)

Tom Sherman - Planet Earth

> Mark Stonich to the rescue! Mark is now offering a custom 155mm triple crank through his Bikesmith
> Design company (www.bikesmithdesign.com).

I have had good experiences in my two purchases from Mark. He has been very helpful and informative.
His workmanship is first-rate. He is exceedingly prompt. And I believe some of the prices he charged
me were less than retail by a substantial margin, even though the total package was ~$135. But I
think that if he was charging by the hour he'd go on welfare.

> (no, Mark didn't pay me to say nice things about his work - I'm just a happy customer)

Ditto.

(Mark, use the same Paypal account for this next check :)

GeoB

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 17:46:55 -0600, Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:

>> If you're considering "going shorter", give the Bikesmith Design crank a look.
>
>Tony,
>
>You should have put one of those cranks on the Dragonflyer before you sold it to me! ;)

Ah, but then it would have lost that certain "factory" cachet. :)

I recently discovered the photos I took of the Dragonflyer; a few wistful moments later, I realized
it was in good hands. It sure was a fun machine, though.

I meant to ask you sometime - have you ever seen the Earthcycles SWB? The bike was pictured in an
Earthcycles ad in RCN. My guess is that the Earth will continue to wobble on its axis until you
complete the trifecta.

Best,

Tony

Tony wrote:
> ... I meant to ask you sometime - have you ever seen the Earthcycles SWB? The bike was pictured in
> an Earthcycles ad in RCN. My guess is that the Earth will continue to wobble on its axis until you
> complete the trifecta.

Tony,

I was aware that such a bike existed but have never seen one in person.

I was not actually looking to purchase a Sunset or a Dragonflyer, but they ended up coming my way.
So who knows, an Earth Cycles SWB may well show up at some point.

Tom Sherman - Planet Earth Red Sunset and Blue Dragonflyer :)

Tom and Tony, that's a new one on me, have a picture of the Earth cycles swb?

[email protected] (GeoB) wrote in message
> I have had good experiences in my two purchases from Mark. He has been very helpful and
> informative. His workmanship is first-rate. He is exceedingly prompt. And I believe some of the
> prices he charged me were less than retail by a substantial margin, even though the total package
> was ~$135.

I want to make it clear that the only production bike parts I sell are the chainrings, bolts and
spacers needed to assemble complete 155mm cranksets. Even on these, I don't like the idea of
undercutting retail pricing. I believe it's important to support local bike shops. Bike shops are
where a lot of my friends earn their grocery money.

However, given the huge difference in price between buying a factory assembled crankset and buying
the parts separately, it's necessary to offer some price reduction. It's bad enough I have to ask
Ultegra prices for something based on $30 crank arms.

> But I think that if he was charging by the hour he'd go on welfare.

I only do a few hours of "for profit" bike work a week. Just enough to make my bike addiction
self-supporting. My hourly earnings aren't half bad. I only provide the types of services (design,
prototyping, light manufacturing) that bike shop can't offer. In fact almost all of my work is
either for bike shops or due to referrals from shops.