A sign you would never see on the door of a Bike Shop

Adam Lea <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Ekul Namsob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:1ieqolu.xxgmw0jt8an9N%[email protected]...

> > I've never felt the need to drive my car into a car showroom and I don't
> > believe that any of my local bike shops would be appreciative if all
> > their customers parked their bikes inside the shop: most just don't have
> > the space.

> I have never felt the need to drive my car onto the local train service,
> this doesn't mean I think cycles should be banned from trains.
>
> Bicycles and cars are very different objects with very different properties.
> What is reasonable practice with one may not necessarily be reasonable with
> the other.

May I ask what is unreasonable about asking customers to lock up a bike
outside a bike shop?

Cheers,
Luke

exile in Lancashire <http://www.shrimper.org.uk>

Martin Dann <[email protected]> wrote:

> When you take your car or lorry to a petrol station, do you park it
> outside and carry the petrol from the pumps to the car/lorry in buckets? :)

I always park my car outside at the petrol station. I even find that
they provide handy pumps next to the car and lorry parking spaces.

On 2 Apr, 17:15, dgregory57 <dgregory57.379...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> dkahn400 Wrote:

> > Sigma Sport in Kingston has an area at the front of the shop reserved
> > for customers' bikes. A lot of their regular customers incorporate
> > their visit into a training ride and wouldn't want to be carrying a
> > heavy lock.

> I would think training would be the perfect reason to carry an extra few
> pounds, like a lock. :)

You and I know that's the correct way to train but the Sigma Sport
regulars seem not to be so enlightened.

--
Dave...

On Apr 2, 11:41 am, dkahn400 <[email protected]> wrote:

> Sigma Sport in Kingston has an area at the front of the shop reseved
> for customers' bikes. A lot of their regular customers incorporate
> their visit into a training ride and wouldn't want to be carrying a
> heavy lock.

Is that what it's for? I always wondered why they had the rubbish
stuff in the window and the decent bikes further back...

Dave

Ekul Namsob <[email protected]> wrote:

> Roger Merriman <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > this said, my local is fairly small and rather packed bike shop, i don't
> > wheel my bike in unless it's booked in etc. they have some stands
> > outside so i leave the bike there, but to be honest it's so local i tend
> > to walk over.

> Walk? Heck, God made feet so we could pedal with them.
>
> Luke

heh, talking which i got some clipless pedals the other day, not sure i
attually like them but we shall see.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

Martin Dann <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ekul Namsob wrote:
> > Martin Dann <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> When you take your car or lorry to a petrol station, do you park it
> >> outside and carry the petrol from the pumps to the car/lorry in
> >> buckets? :)

> > I always park my car outside at the petrol station. I even find that
> > they provide handy pumps next to the car and lorry parking spaces.

> Except they are not parking spaces, you are effectively stopping your
> car inside the shop to buy petrol.

No, I'm not. They have no problem, once I have obtained some fuel, with
me popping into the shop to buy bread, newspapers, pies or anything else
that they sell inside the shop.

>The people running the petrol station would be very annoyed if you
>stopped next to a pump, then nipped next door to buy some fish and
>chips.

Just as the people running most shops would be very annoyed if I parked
my car on their premises and then nipped next door to buy something.

Ekul Namsob wrote:

> Just as the people running most shops would be very annoyed if I parked
> my car on their premises and then nipped next door to buy something.
>
> Cheers,
> Luke

I frequently do that in Tescos car park in Cleckheaton. They don't seam
to mind.

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtjinkasDotfreeserve.co.uk

Andy Morris <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ekul Namsob wrote:
> >
> > Just as the people running most shops would be very annoyed if I parked
> > my car on their premises and then nipped next door to buy something.

> I frequently do that in Tescos car park in Cleckheaton. They don't seam
> to mind.

I suspect they have a larger than average free car park. Most
superstores do.

Cheers,
Luke

exile in Lancashire <http://www.shrimper.org.uk>

Some of you might recall me getting (allegedly) bashed by an "out of his
car" motorist - mid February.

He was then warned of the possibility of an "assault" charge then and bailed
to re-appear at Deewsbury Police Station toward end of March. During the
in between bit police told me they would conside GBH instead as my injuries
seemed to justify it.

Since then I've phoned twice to enquire actual charge and formally written
once, no reply to date, now I don't expect one. Though during one phone
call they cited "data protection" and "non availability of info on their
compiuter system" as why they could not tell me. Despite a letter from
West Yorkshire Police promising this exact info. early into this business.

I'm aware this is the station that is presently dealing with the Matthews/
Shameless family, they may well be too busy, but I naturally want to keep
them "on the job" and interested. But how can I do this?

Any ideas please, I'm considering roping Victim Support in, a solicitors
letter, our MP or in desperation the local press. I'd dearly love some
hints on how to progress this. Please?

John Clayton

"John Clayton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Any ideas please, I'm considering roping Victim Support in, a solicitors
> letter, our MP or in desperation the local press. I'd dearly love some
> hints on how to progress this. Please?

I used to do some work for victim support.

You are clearly traumatized and upset by this event.......phone victim
support, ask to be allocated a supporter (if this has not already been
done), explain to them and ask them to chase it for you. It's free and an
damn site quicker, cheaper & easier than the other routes.

pk

John Clayton wrote:

> Since then I've phoned twice to enquire actual charge and formally written
> once, no reply to date, now I don't expect one. Though during one phone
> call they cited "data protection" and "non availability of info on their
> compiuter system" as why they could not tell me.

I was under the impression that the police and PNC were immune from the
data protection act. (At least the 1984 version, I don't know about
later updates).

Martin.

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 20:25:30 +0100 someone who may be "PK"
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>I used to do some work for victim support.

A misnamed series of organisations.

They don't generally work with victims, they work with alleged
victims. They take no account of the fact that an alleged victim
could be nothing of the sort, presumably due to where they get their
funding from.

When they help victims of false accusations and malicious
prosecutions, together with those falsely convicted, they will
deserve the names they call themselves by.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

John Clayton <[email protected]> wrote:
>Any ideas please, I'm considering roping Victim Support in, a solicitors
>letter, our MP or in desperation the local press. I'd dearly love some
>hints on how to progress this. Please?

Your ability to get any useful legal redress if the police are no good
is very limited, because the body that oversees complaints against the
police is the IPCC, who are both biased and completely incompetent.

I'd not heard of the suggestion of Victim Support. It might be worth
giving them a go as they're part of the Establishment and might be
listened to. Likewise the suggestion to try your MP is probably
worthwhile if your MP is any good.

--
Ian Jackson personal email: <[email protected]>
These opinions are my own. http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~ijackson/

On 11 Apr 2008 10:24:54 +0100 (BST) someone who may be Ian Jackson
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>Your ability to get any useful legal redress if the police are no good
>is very limited, because the body that oversees complaints against the
>police is the IPCC, who are both biased and completely incompetent.

Agreed, which is why the lawyers withdrew from the charade recently
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2008/feb/25/police.law1>

The other article, leader and audio accompanying that article are
worth browsing too.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Roger Merriman wrote:
> Adam Lea <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> "Ekul Namsob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:1ieqolu.xxgmw0jt8an9N%[email protected]...

>>> I've never felt the need to drive my car into a car showroom and I don't
>>> believe that any of my local bike shops would be appreciative if all
>>> their customers parked their bikes inside the shop: most just don't have
>>> the space.
>>>

>> I have never felt the need to drive my car onto the local train service,
>> this doesn't mean I think cycles should be banned from trains.
>>
>> Bicycles and cars are very different objects with very different properties.
>> What is reasonable practice with one may not necessarily be reasonable with
>> the other.

> this said, my local is fairly small and rather packed bike shop, i don't
> wheel my bike in unless it's booked in etc. they have some stands
> outside so i leave the bike there, but to be honest it's so local i tend
> to walk over.
>
> roger

Yup
Been there.
Nice people

Hey Roger, when you are over here you need to do the bbc
http://www.bv.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3696&start=0 my local
training ride

percrime <[email protected]> wrote:

> Roger Merriman wrote:
> > Adam Lea <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> "Ekul Namsob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> news:1ieqolu.xxgmw0jt8an9N%[email protected]...

> >> I have never felt the need to drive my car onto the local train service,
> >> this doesn't mean I think cycles should be banned from trains.
> >>
> >> Bicycles and cars are very different objects with very different
> >> properties. What is reasonable practice with one may not necessarily be
> >> reasonable with the other.

> > this said, my local is fairly small and rather packed bike shop, i don't
> > wheel my bike in unless it's booked in etc. they have some stands
> > outside so i leave the bike there, but to be honest it's so local i tend
> > to walk over.
> >
> > roger

> Yup
> Been there.
> Nice people

yes they are rather.

> Hey Roger, when you are over here you need to do the bbc
> http://www.bv.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3696&start=0 my local
> training ride

and it has a boxhill, though no zig zag road, looks a good ride.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

Roger Merriman wrote:
> percrime <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Roger Merriman wrote:

>>> this said, my local is fairly small and rather packed bike shop, i don't
>>> wheel my bike in unless it's booked in etc. they have some stands
>>> outside so i leave the bike there, but to be honest it's so local i tend
>>> to walk over.
>>>
>>> roger

>> Yup
>> Been there.
>> Nice people
>>

> yes they are rather.
>
>> Hey Roger, when you are over here you need to do the bbc
>> http://www.bv.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3696&start=0 my local
>> training ride

> and it has a boxhill, though no zig zag road, looks a good ride.
>
> roger

Check ur email :)

Bit more news - but not much is that I understand the Police have now bailed
my assialnt until early June.
Wait and see I suppose.
John