A Trolls Repent

DZ <[email protected]> wrote:
>JMW <[email protected]> wrote:
>> DZ wrote:
>>>My newsreader, slrn, which I recommend to both trolls and their
>>>detractors, employs a very nice idea of scorefile. I give
>>>integer-valued positive or negative scores based on any of the headers
>>>(in addition, headers could be parsed through regular expressions).
>>>
>>>A negative score of, say, -10 would mark matching articles with a
>>>certain color and put a "read" mark in front. You can still open the
>>>post. A score of -9999 would not show the matching articles at all
>>>(that's like the dreaded, alleged bozo bin). A score of 10 would put a
>>>high attention mark in front, and you can jump to the next high score
>>>article with a keystroke.

>> Is it safe to assume that all the scoring is done post-download?

>Scoring is done during fetching of the headers (whole articles don't
>need to be downloaded at this point). There isn't a considerable
>slowdown due to filtering.
>
>I haven't tried slrn under Windows but there is such thing too -
>http://thingy.apana.org.au/~fun/slrn/
>
>An easy way to understand slrn's simple scorefile syntax is to score a
>couple of articles in the newsreader and then examine the resulting
>scorefile in a text editor.

OK. Let me explain the problem. NewsProxy/Nfilter will score, and
you can use Regular Expressions, too. You can do some pretty clever
stuff within the program, and it simply acts a proxy between Forté
Agent or MS Outlook Express. It will drop (kill) or score on any
header it receives. Therein lies the problem. What headers does it
receive?

When your newsreader (or proxy) sends an XHDR command to the news
server, it may send all available headers for each post. Or not. It
may just send the overview headers which are shown here:

http://www.rustyiron.net/cprompt5.jpg

If your news server is like the latter, which many, if not most, are,
including mine, that's all you have to work with. And with constantly
changing subject headers, user IDs, and fake email addresses being
used by persistent trolls, you really can't create a very good scoring
system with just those headers.

Simply put, the largest problem is not with the client software; it's
with the news server.

"JMW" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> DZ <[email protected]> wrote:
>>JMW <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> Is it safe to assume that all the scoring is done post-download?

>>Scoring is done during fetching of the headers (whole articles don't
>>need to be downloaded at this point). There isn't a considerable
>>slowdown due to filtering.
>>
>>I haven't tried slrn under Windows but there is such thing too -
>>http://thingy.apana.org.au/~fun/slrn/
>>
>>An easy way to understand slrn's simple scorefile syntax is to score a
>>couple of articles in the newsreader and then examine the resulting
>>scorefile in a text editor.

> OK. Let me explain the problem. NewsProxy/Nfilter will score, and
> you can use Regular Expressions, too. You can do some pretty clever
> stuff within the program, and it simply acts a proxy between Forté
> Agent or MS Outlook Express. It will drop (kill) or score on any
> header it receives. Therein lies the problem. What headers does it
> receive?
>
> When your newsreader (or proxy) sends an XHDR command to the news
> server, it may send all available headers for each post. Or not. It
> may just send the overview headers which are shown here:
>
> http://www.rustyiron.net/cprompt5.jpg
>
> If your news server is like the latter, which many, if not most, are,
> including mine, that's all you have to work with. And with constantly
> changing subject headers, user IDs, and fake email addresses being
> used by persistent trolls, you really can't create a very good scoring
> system with just those headers.
>
> Simply put, the largest problem is not with the client software; it's
> with the news server.

No, I'm afraid that's not the largest problem. The largest problem is the
intelligence level of the imbeciles trying to use implement this garbage.
That's the largest problem among many other large problems.

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 11:04:17 -0500, Dally <[email protected]> wrote:

>Jack wrote:
>
>> Someone's trolling...

>And someone's feeding the trolls...

And someone's feeding the trolls who are feeding the trolls.

Eh?

Who gave me this bucket of chum? Do trolls like chum? Hmm.

--

On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 02:37:40 +1000, "David" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Condition 1 - 'thoroughly soak infected area for 30 minutes with a solution
>of ajax

Lysol

>Condition 2 - the practitioner would need have consumed a full bottle of
>Jack Daniels straight

Several bottles.

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 16:52:08 +0000, JRH <[email protected]> wrote:

>What happened to the new "troll" filters Dolly? Small wonder John
>Williams is vexed with you.

I think I'll perform a new trick for you, and I'll change IP address.

"Jack" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 02:37:40 +1000, "David" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>>Condition 1 - 'thoroughly soak infected area for 30 minutes with a
>>solution
>>of ajax

> Lysol
>
>>Condition 2 - the practitioner would need have consumed a full bottle of
>>Jack Daniels straight

> Several bottles.

I forgot the nose plug (condition 3)

David wrote:
> No, I'm afraid that's not the largest problem. The largest problem is the
> size of my penis. It's not large. In fact, it's quite tiny.

I still love you David.

JMW <[email protected]> wrote:
> DZ wrote:
>>JMW <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> Is it safe to assume that all the scoring is done post-download?

>>Scoring is done during fetching of the headers (whole articles don't
>>need to be downloaded at this point). There isn't a considerable
>>slowdown due to filtering.
>>
>>I haven't tried slrn under Windows but there is such thing too -
>>http://thingy.apana.org.au/~fun/slrn/
>>
>>An easy way to understand slrn's simple scorefile syntax is to score a
>>couple of articles in the newsreader and then examine the resulting
>>scorefile in a text editor.

> OK. Let me explain the problem. NewsProxy/Nfilter will score, and
> you can use Regular Expressions, too. You can do some pretty clever
> stuff within the program, and it simply acts a proxy between Forté
> Agent or MS Outlook Express. It will drop (kill) or score on any
> header it receives. Therein lies the problem. What headers does it
> receive?
>
> When your newsreader (or proxy) sends an XHDR command to the news
> server, it may send all available headers for each post. Or not. It
> may just send the overview headers which are shown here:
>
> http://www.rustyiron.net/cprompt5.jpg
>
> If your news server is like the latter, which many, if not most, are,
> including mine, that's all you have to work with. And with constantly
> changing subject headers, user IDs, and fake email addresses being
> used by persistent trolls, you really can't create a very good scoring
> system with just those headers.
>
> Simply put, the largest problem is not with the client software; it's
> with the news server.

There are mechanisms for fetching additional headers on demand -
that's what I understand slrn does. I think it is done with XOVER
rather than XHDR request, although I don't know enough about header
fetching.

I'm certain about two things:

1) slrn filters worked with every server I ever tried (many).
2) While doing the filtering, slrn doesn't download entire articles.

So, I think that with more sophisticated requests headers can still be
filtered with most if not all of the servers, and the problem is with
the way nfilter requests the headers from the server.

"dufus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> David wrote:
>> No, I'm afraid that's not the largest problem. The largest problem is the
>> size of my penis. It's not large. In fact, it's quite tiny.

> I still love you David.

This is not a threat but the last person who made reference to the size of
my peepee is now pushing up daisies.