Acquired a sixth bike - wife is not amused

[email protected] (dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> I *loathe* bibshorts, biblongs... they make any wearer
> look like a reject from a Mr. Muscle advert.

The typical bibshort wearer:
http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Field/7342/01a.jpg

My clubmate, Jason Harris, agrees with you. Whenever he
pulls his bibshorts on he goes through the ritual of
striking a muscle pose and announcing: "Captain Webb
prepares to swim the channel."

--
Dave...

Clive George wrote:
> "MSeries" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> berlin.de...
>
>>and I bet that she has spent more money on shoes, clothes,
>>make up etc than you have on bikes over the last 10 years.

> Heh - that'd be the wrong sort of wife then. I'm winning
> on bike spending by lots :) (I think I'm winning on bike
> spending for her by quite a lot too)

I haven't found any problem in suggesting Sensible Purchases
to Roos which she seems quite happy to take up. And that
includes clothes (stretch salopettes, down jacket) as well
as shoes (telemark boots and SPuD cycling shoes). Next on
the horizon is quite probably another bike, complete with
comfy chair and mucho cool bits, suggested entirely by
herself. Only downside is it'll probably be fancier and
costlier than any of mine!

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext.
33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382 640177

Peter Clinch <[email protected]> writes:

>I haven't found any problem in suggesting Sensible
>Purchases to Roos which she seems quite happy to take up.
>And that includes clothes (stretch salopettes, down jacket)
>as well as shoes (telemark boots and SPuD cycling shoes).

Ahem. I would probably have bought most of these without
prompting anyway, though you did shorten the 'what to
choose' process at times. I do have a track record of
spending a lot more on outdoor boots and 'dresses' than on
the indoor variety... (what's wrong with wearing the same
dress to the departmental christmas party three years in a
row anyway?)

> Next on the horizon is quite probably another bike,
> complete with comfy chair and mucho cool bits, suggested
> entirely by herself. Only downside is it'll probably be
> fancier and costlier than any of mine!

Just see it as the equivalent of Tom's divorce
settlement Lotus :)

If I do end up unemployed next year at least I will have a
lot of nice toys to fill the time with!

Roos

Chris Malcolm wrote:

> You folk with lots of bikes. Is it a problem deciding
> which bike to go out on? Does the colour matter?

Two of my three are yellow so colour is not really a
deciding factor. The tourer is used for touring and for
winter riding, it is the only one with mudguards. #1RI is
used for sunny days and not so hilly rides, #2RI is used for
iffy days and hilly rides as it has a triple chainset. #1RI
is getting a triple this year, funds permitting, but in
order to keep it in good nick I will still use #2RI.

> Yeah, right. Like he's going to tell her that...

I value my 'nads too much to raise the issue

"Chris Malcolm" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> You folk with lots of bikes. Is it a problem deciding
> which bike to go out on? Does the colour matter?

Well, I only have two (road and MTB) and that is
_definitely_ not enough. I at least need a folder and a
tourer. I also absolutely need a trailer. A recumbent would
be nice just to play around on although I'm not sure I'd do
anything serious with it ;) It would be cool to say I could
ride a unicycle although I doubt I'd do it very often.. Of
course, a hack bike for parking in dodgy places would come
in useful too. A tandem must not be forgotten - one day I
_will_ get my wife to come out with me. Oh, and a fixed is
fairly essential too. It seems you can't say you're a 'real'
cyclist unless you've got one, so one of those too. Maybe I
could combine that with the hack bike?

No, there is no doubt about it whatsoever. One or two bikes
is certainly not enough ;)

Rich

in message <[email protected]>, Chris Malcolm
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Simon Brooke <[email protected]> writes:
>
>>in message <[email protected]>,
>>MSeries ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
>>> and I bet that she has spent more money on shoes,
>>> clothes, make up etc than you have on bikes over the
>>> last 10 years.
>
>>But that's not the point. You can't ride six bikes
>>at once, whereas she, errm, can't wear thirty
>>dresses at once.
>
> You folk with lots of bikes. Is it a problem deciding
> which bike to go out on? Does the colour matter?

Three of my four are black, which is the proper colour for a
gentleman's bicycle. The fourth is Swamp Monster Vomit
Green, but seeing it's about to donate its wheels to the
Mantra it doesn't really count.

--
[email protected] (Simon Brooke)
http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

[ This mind intentionally left blank ]

Simon Brooke wrote:

> in message <[email protected]>, Chris Malcolm
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>

>>Simon Brooke <[email protected]> writes:
>>

>>>in message <[email protected]

>>>But that's not the point. You can't ride six bikes
>>>at once, whereas she, errm, can't wear thirty
>>>dresses at once.
>>
>>You folk with lots of bikes. Is it a problem deciding
>>which bike to go out on? Does the colour matter?
>

> Three of my four are black, which is the proper colour for
> a gentleman's bicycle. The fourth is Swamp Monster Vomit
> Green, but seeing it's about to donate its wheels to the
> Mantra it doesn't really count.

mm, that reminds me, while in future cycles at the weekend
dribbling over a windcheetah that was in for a service, I
saw some bikes in there (forget which make, wasn't dawes,
specialized maybe? dunno) that weren't just black, they were
*matt* black... talk about going the whole hog with the
stealth cyclist thing!!

Velvet

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> Only downside is it'll probably be fancier and costlier
> than any of mine!

That'll be a grasshopper then :) Mind you, the GH is
the same price as the SMGT, so unless she goes for a
rohlof or something as an extra, it will only look
better than yours ;o)
--
.paul

if at first you don't succeed... skydiving is probably not
the sport for you

In article <1r1tj1-
[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> OK, do tell. I can't work out an expansion of PSF which
> *would* be

> to Helen's legendary crumple zones, but I can't work out
> the rest.

I've since thought about it a bit more, and the sixist one
needs an M, and a 'merican turn of phrase

HtH
--
.paul

if at first you don't succeed... skydiving is probably not
the sport for you

> Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. One can never have too many
> bikes. Thus spake
the
> PSF ;-)

my sentiments exactly but sadly not shared by she who ought
to be obeyed.

Been too busy to get out on the new acquisition but have
scrutinised it very closely. It's an almost mint Raleigh
R100 with little evidence of it ever being ridden for more
than a few miles. The mould flash lines on the tyres are
still present and their's little or no transfer of lubricant
from the chain to the sprockets. The triple chain ring was
the major attraction for me and in response to the folk who
wonder how multiple bike ownrship can be justified:

Bike 1 - Carrera mountain bike. Bought new from Halfords. 27
Speed disk braked, front suspension mountain bike. Used for
off road rides and mixed terrain rides.

Bike 2 - Ridgeback Adventure hybrid. 21 Speed rigid hybrid
bike. Used for city loops and canal tow path rides. Bought
in mint unuesed condition for £80 quid from a small ad on
the Internet. Has also been used to cycle 60+ mile rides and
proved to be as fast as:...

Bike 3 - Raleigh Equippe - 12 speed racing bike. Now used
exclusively on the road but has been used for a C2C traverse
kitted out with rear rack, panniers and camping gear.
Obtained free from small ad spotted on the Internet.

Bike 4 - Unknown Raleigh model 12 speed 23" framed bike.
Obtained for £25 quid from small ads on the Internet because
the chap offering the free bike (Bike 3) failed to return my
phone calls until 30 minutes after i returned home after
purchasing this bike. I still went and collected bike three.
Bike four is the least ridden bike.

Bike 5 - Dawes Galaxy - 21 speeds. Acquired for £200 from
small adds on the Internet. Has proved to be a comfortable
bike and have done 300 miles or so on it since acquiring it
just before the New Year. Intend to ride it from Lands End
to John O Groats.

Bike 6 - Raleigh R100 - bought to enjoy higher speeds on the
roads and easier climbs up the hills.

Bikes three and four are about to be disposed of to a
friend.

Paul wrote:

> That'll be a grasshopper then :) Mind you, the GH is the
> same price as the SMGT, so unless she goes for a rohlof
> or something as an extra, it will only look better than
> yours ;o)

The Grasshopper is up for an extensive test run tomorrow,
while I try and Keep Up With The Eismas by having HS-33s
fitted to the Street'. Then off to the NL next weekend where
a Nazca Fiero and a couple of others will have their
particulars assessed. The Nazca's cheaper than the HPVel,
but Rohloffs, hydraulic discs etc. are indeed potentially
part of the deal so lots of potential to spend more!

But since HPVel aren't content to leave things alone a
Streetmachine bought today is better than mine: The Meks
fork that's now standard has been reviewed at
comprehensively superior to the old Ballistic and the rear
suspension has been improved too. The headset is now an
Aheadset (so the ability to move the bars up and down a
couple of cm is possibly lost, but on that bike it isn't
really a loss). Though I'd disagree about the GH looking
better, to be honest. The wee back wheel leaves a bit much
empty space for it to be really a thing of beauty to me (but
I consider the aesthetics of the SMGT a happy coincidence,
rather than a reason to get one).

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext.
33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382 640177
Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email protected]
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

"Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <1r1tj1-
> [email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
> > OK, do tell. I can't work out an expansion of PSF which
> > *would* be

> > to Helen's legendary crumple zones, but I can't work out
> > the rest.
> >

> I've since thought about it a bit more, and the sixist one
> needs an M, and a 'merican turn of phrase
>
> HtH
> --

Still can't imagine what it might be....????

Rich

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 13:25:13 GMT someone who may be davek
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>I assumed it depended on what shirt and shorts you were
>wearing - like choosing the right handbag to go with the
>right dress.
>
>I avoid this problem by having only one bike and no
>dresses.

Which of your handbags goes with it?

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh | PGP email preferred-key number
F566DA0E I will always explain revoked keys, unless the UK

"MSeries" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Chris Malcolm wrote:
>
> > You folk with lots of bikes. Is it a problem deciding
> > which bike to go out on? Does the colour matter?
>
> Two of my three are yellow

Why only two? one can never have too many _yellow_ bikes ;-)

MartinM wrote:
> "MSeries" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]
> berlin.de>...
>> Chris Malcolm wrote:
>>
>>> You folk with lots of bikes. Is it a problem deciding
>>> which bike to go out on? Does the colour matter?
>>
>> Two of my three are yellow
>
> Why only two? one can never have too many _yellow_
> bikes ;-)

Mmm. good question. The blue one is in need of a refinish
but it has hand painted lining and lettering, half
chromed fork blades. Getting these reproduced will make
the cost of the refinish just too much ATM. I am
thinking about getting it done in Raleigh Banana
colours since it is a Raleigh so it will be mostly
yellow. I fear that the silver grey plastic mudguards
will look terrible with a light coloured frame though.

The yellow thing started whenI got #2RI (which was then my
only road iron) refinished and yellow was the coolest colour
for bikes that year. Bob Jacksons did a super job and got
some great black Peugeot decals. That bike now has a black
chainset, though I am in search of a cheap black 39 ring.

In article
<[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> "Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In article <1r1tj1-
> > [email protected]>,
> > [email protected] says...
> > > OK, do tell. I can't work out an expansion of PSF
> > > which *would* be

> > > to Helen's legendary crumple zones, but I can't work
> > > out the rest.
> > >

> > I've since thought about it a bit more, and the sixist
> > one needs an M, and a 'merican turn of phrase
> >
> > HtH
> > --
>
> Still can't imagine what it might be....????
>
> Rich

PM'S/T'Female where S = stress (mercian) and T = Tension
(more ukish)
--
.paul

if at first you don't succeed... skydiving is probably not
the sport for you

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> Though I'd disagree about the GH looking better, to be
> honest. The wee back wheel leaves a bit much empty space
> for it to be really a thing of beauty to me (but I
> consider the aesthetics of the SMGT a happy coincidence,
> rather than a reason to get one).

Achually, I don't disagree with you there, and when I was
initialy looking, the 2-20s looked wrong somehow, as you say
the gap at the back is just a little vacant. But as I've
come closer to the purchase, and have ridden the GH, the
bigger back wheel now looks *to* big. Of course, as you say,
esthetics are secondary to function though. the last problem
I am fighting with is resisting a rohloff, I really want
one, but I'm really having difficult justifying it to
myself. I just know, though thatif a don't get it to start
with, I'll be waiting for the time when I can upgrade.
hrumph. I've been busy all week trying to arrange a meeting
in london next week, so I can pop along to Bikefix, but it's
looking like I'm not going to have the time :(