General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Active 10 GPS

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 182 posts · 4,196 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
25 October 2007
Last activity
22 November 2007
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
182
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
4,196
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 101–120 of 182
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Bernard Hill said:
    Quoted message said:

    Most hill walking is done in good visibility

    !!!

    I wish it were so.

    Having travelled tens or hundreds of miles to a walking area you have
    to be really lucky to stay out of the clouds.

    But then you're obviously pretty serious about doing the walk you have
    planned. I was thinking more of casual walkers. The hills are covered with
    them on sunny days, but you usually see only serious walkers when the
    weather is bad.

    Paul
    --
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk/
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk/weblog/

  2. Paul Saunders said:
    Bernard Hill said:
    Quoted message said:

    Most hill walking is done in good visibility

    !!!

    I wish it were so.

    Having travelled tens or hundreds of miles to a walking area you have
    to be really lucky to stay out of the clouds.

    But then you're obviously pretty serious about doing the walk you have
    planned. I was thinking more of casual walkers. The hills are covered with
    them on sunny days, but you usually see only serious walkers when the
    weather is bad.

    Paul

    Maybe I missed a subsequent post in which you mentioned what flight
    sim software you are talking about here? Around 28/10 I recall your
    saying something like 'Use your 3D features ...jump in your virtual
    plane...". Did you mean a dedicated flight sim app or perhaps Google
    Earth's new 'flying' facility?

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

  3. Paul Saunders said:
    Bernard Hill said:
    Quoted message said:

    Most hill walking is done in good visibility

    !!!

    I wish it were so.

    Having travelled tens or hundreds of miles to a walking area you have
    to be really lucky to stay out of the clouds.

    But then you're obviously pretty serious about doing the walk you have
    planned. I was thinking more of casual walkers. The hills are covered with
    them on sunny days, but you usually see only serious walkers when the
    weather is bad.

    Paul

    Maybe I missed a subsequent post in which you mentioned what flight
    sim software you are talking about here? Around 28/10 I recall your
    saying something like 'Use your 3D features ...jump in your virtual
    plane...". Did you mean a dedicated flight sim app or perhaps Google
    Earth's new 'flying' facility?

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

  4. Paul Saunders said:
    Bernard Hill said:
    Quoted message said:

    Most hill walking is done in good visibility

    !!!

    I wish it were so.

    Having travelled tens or hundreds of miles to a walking area you have
    to be really lucky to stay out of the clouds.

    But then you're obviously pretty serious about doing the walk you have
    planned. I was thinking more of casual walkers. The hills are covered with
    them on sunny days, but you usually see only serious walkers when the
    weather is bad.

    Paul

    Maybe I missed a subsequent post in which you mentioned what flight
    sim software you are talking about here? Around 28/10 I recall your
    saying something like 'Use your 3D features ...jump in your virtual
    plane...". Did you mean a dedicated flight sim app or perhaps Google
    Earth's new 'flying' facility?

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

  5. Paul Saunders said:
    Bernard Hill said:
    Quoted message said:

    Most hill walking is done in good visibility

    !!!

    I wish it were so.

    Having travelled tens or hundreds of miles to a walking area you have
    to be really lucky to stay out of the clouds.

    But then you're obviously pretty serious about doing the walk you have
    planned. I was thinking more of casual walkers. The hills are covered with
    them on sunny days, but you usually see only serious walkers when the
    weather is bad.

    Paul

    Maybe I missed a subsequent post in which you mentioned what flight
    sim software you are talking about here? Around 28/10 I recall your
    saying something like 'Use your 3D features ...jump in your virtual
    plane...". Did you mean a dedicated flight sim app or perhaps Google
    Earth's new 'flying' facility?

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

  6. Terry Pinnell said:

    Maybe I missed a subsequent post in which you mentioned what flight
    sim software you are talking about here? Around 28/10 I recall your
    saying something like 'Use your 3D features ...jump in your virtual
    plane...". Did you mean a dedicated flight sim app or perhaps Google
    Earth's new 'flying' facility?

    Primarily the flight sim. I wrote another post specifically about that in
    this thread earlier today (at 6:17).

    Anquet and Memory Map both have 3D viewing facilities, but the resolution of
    the aerial photos isn't as good as the flight sim. Also the viewing options
    are somewhat limited and fiddly. To make matters worse the lighting effects
    aren't very good. For example you can't position the sun precisely, and it
    doesn't look at all realistic like the flight sim does.

    With the flight sim on the other hand, you can choose the exact time and
    date and get the correct shadow effects for that time, which is great for
    planning photos (if you want to use it for that). You don't even have to
    fly, you can simply "slew" around the landscape and position yourself at any
    viewpoint you want, so you can "park" the plane on a summit to see the view
    from there (a helicopter is better for this obviously). You even get the
    correct phases of the moon and the stars in the right positions.

    As for Google Earth, I haven't heard about this new flying facility, but
    unless they've improved the terrain mesh I wouldn't bother. The best bits of
    Google Earth have an excellent photo resolution, but the worst bits are
    terrible (i.e. most of Wales), but even where the photo res is good, the
    terrain mesh is far too simple and inaccurate so you don't get the correct
    shape on the land, which makes it a complete waste of time for the purpose
    of familiarising yourself with the topography.

    Anyway, if you're interested, you'll need to buy the latest version of
    Microsoft Flight Sim, called FSX. There's a standard and deluxe version, I'd
    recommend the latter, you get more planes. Don't be put off by the price,
    it's much cheaper if you shop around, you can get it quite cheap on Amazon.

    Then there's the photo scenery. Only England and Wales are covered
    unfortunately, not Scotland.

    There are two products available, Just Flight's VFR Real Scenery (in 4
    areas);
    http://www.justflight.com/vfr-info.asp

    And Horizon's VFR Generation X (in 3 areas);
    http://www.horizonsimulation.com/shopeu/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=74

    I've made detailed comparisons between the two and I'm in no doubt that the
    Horizon product is better. Both have 1m per pixel photo resolution, but
    Horizon has a 5m terrain mesh compared to Just Flight's 10m mesh. Also
    Horizon are creating lots of extras for their scenery, most of which are
    free downloads.

    Both offer demos so you can try them out first, although you'll need a full
    version of FSX to install them, they won't install into the FSX demo. Again
    you can pick these up much cheaper than RRP from Amazon.

    I got FSX Deluxe for about £27, and all three Horizon scenery packages for
    about £67, all inc p&p. So that's £94 for the best 3D photo scenery of
    England and Wales currently available.

    If you want more, I'd recommend FSDiscover! which adds 36 million geographic
    names from all over the world, which is great for getting to know your way
    around. As I mentioned, UK summit name coverage is not great, but you can
    create your own files to fix that. I'm currently compiling some summit lists
    for use with it.
    http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=fsdisc

    And for real immersion, get a copy of Active Sky X, which provides amazingly
    realistic weather effects and downloads real time weather conditions from
    the internet as you fly.
    http://www.hifisim.com/products.html

    Oh, one more thing, you need quite a powerful computer to run it.

    Paul
    --
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk/
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk/weblog/

  7. Terry Pinnell said:

    Maybe I missed a subsequent post in which you mentioned what flight
    sim software you are talking about here? Around 28/10 I recall your
    saying something like 'Use your 3D features ...jump in your virtual
    plane...". Did you mean a dedicated flight sim app or perhaps Google
    Earth's new 'flying' facility?

    Primarily the flight sim. I wrote another post specifically about that in
    this thread earlier today (at 6:17).

    Anquet and Memory Map both have 3D viewing facilities, but the resolution of
    the aerial photos isn't as good as the flight sim. Also the viewing options
    are somewhat limited and fiddly. To make matters worse the lighting effects
    aren't very good. For example you can't position the sun precisely, and it
    doesn't look at all realistic like the flight sim does.

    With the flight sim on the other hand, you can choose the exact time and
    date and get the correct shadow effects for that time, which is great for
    planning photos (if you want to use it for that). You don't even have to
    fly, you can simply "slew" around the landscape and position yourself at any
    viewpoint you want, so you can "park" the plane on a summit to see the view
    from there (a helicopter is better for this obviously). You even get the
    correct phases of the moon and the stars in the right positions.

    As for Google Earth, I haven't heard about this new flying facility, but
    unless they've improved the terrain mesh I wouldn't bother. The best bits of
    Google Earth have an excellent photo resolution, but the worst bits are
    terrible (i.e. most of Wales), but even where the photo res is good, the
    terrain mesh is far too simple and inaccurate so you don't get the correct
    shape on the land, which makes it a complete waste of time for the purpose
    of familiarising yourself with the topography.

    Anyway, if you're interested, you'll need to buy the latest version of
    Microsoft Flight Sim, called FSX. There's a standard and deluxe version, I'd
    recommend the latter, you get more planes. Don't be put off by the price,
    it's much cheaper if you shop around, you can get it quite cheap on Amazon.

    Then there's the photo scenery. Only England and Wales are covered
    unfortunately, not Scotland.

    There are two products available, Just Flight's VFR Real Scenery (in 4
    areas);
    http://www.justflight.com/vfr-info.asp

    And Horizon's VFR Generation X (in 3 areas);
    http://www.horizonsimulation.com/shopeu/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=74

    I've made detailed comparisons between the two and I'm in no doubt that the
    Horizon product is better. Both have 1m per pixel photo resolution, but
    Horizon has a 5m terrain mesh compared to Just Flight's 10m mesh. Also
    Horizon are creating lots of extras for their scenery, most of which are
    free downloads.

    Both offer demos so you can try them out first, although you'll need a full
    version of FSX to install them, they won't install into the FSX demo. Again
    you can pick these up much cheaper than RRP from Amazon.

    I got FSX Deluxe for about £27, and all three Horizon scenery packages for
    about £67, all inc p&p. So that's £94 for the best 3D photo scenery of
    England and Wales currently available.

    If you want more, I'd recommend FSDiscover! which adds 36 million geographic
    names from all over the world, which is great for getting to know your way
    around. As I mentioned, UK summit name coverage is not great, but you can
    create your own files to fix that. I'm currently compiling some summit lists
    for use with it.
    http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=fsdisc

    And for real immersion, get a copy of Active Sky X, which provides amazingly
    realistic weather effects and downloads real time weather conditions from
    the internet as you fly.
    http://www.hifisim.com/products.html

    Oh, one more thing, you need quite a powerful computer to run it.

    Paul
    --
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk/
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk/weblog/

  8. Terry Pinnell said:

    Maybe I missed a subsequent post in which you mentioned what flight
    sim software you are talking about here? Around 28/10 I recall your
    saying something like 'Use your 3D features ...jump in your virtual
    plane...". Did you mean a dedicated flight sim app or perhaps Google
    Earth's new 'flying' facility?

    Primarily the flight sim. I wrote another post specifically about that in
    this thread earlier today (at 6:17).

    Anquet and Memory Map both have 3D viewing facilities, but the resolution of
    the aerial photos isn't as good as the flight sim. Also the viewing options
    are somewhat limited and fiddly. To make matters worse the lighting effects
    aren't very good. For example you can't position the sun precisely, and it
    doesn't look at all realistic like the flight sim does.

    With the flight sim on the other hand, you can choose the exact time and
    date and get the correct shadow effects for that time, which is great for
    planning photos (if you want to use it for that). You don't even have to
    fly, you can simply "slew" around the landscape and position yourself at any
    viewpoint you want, so you can "park" the plane on a summit to see the view
    from there (a helicopter is better for this obviously). You even get the
    correct phases of the moon and the stars in the right positions.

    As for Google Earth, I haven't heard about this new flying facility, but
    unless they've improved the terrain mesh I wouldn't bother. The best bits of
    Google Earth have an excellent photo resolution, but the worst bits are
    terrible (i.e. most of Wales), but even where the photo res is good, the
    terrain mesh is far too simple and inaccurate so you don't get the correct
    shape on the land, which makes it a complete waste of time for the purpose
    of familiarising yourself with the topography.

    Anyway, if you're interested, you'll need to buy the latest version of
    Microsoft Flight Sim, called FSX. There's a standard and deluxe version, I'd
    recommend the latter, you get more planes. Don't be put off by the price,
    it's much cheaper if you shop around, you can get it quite cheap on Amazon.

    Then there's the photo scenery. Only England and Wales are covered
    unfortunately, not Scotland.

    There are two products available, Just Flight's VFR Real Scenery (in 4
    areas);
    http://www.justflight.com/vfr-info.asp

    And Horizon's VFR Generation X (in 3 areas);
    http://www.horizonsimulation.com/shopeu/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=74

    I've made detailed comparisons between the two and I'm in no doubt that the
    Horizon product is better. Both have 1m per pixel photo resolution, but
    Horizon has a 5m terrain mesh compared to Just Flight's 10m mesh. Also
    Horizon are creating lots of extras for their scenery, most of which are
    free downloads.

    Both offer demos so you can try them out first, although you'll need a full
    version of FSX to install them, they won't install into the FSX demo. Again
    you can pick these up much cheaper than RRP from Amazon.

    I got FSX Deluxe for about £27, and all three Horizon scenery packages for
    about £67, all inc p&p. So that's £94 for the best 3D photo scenery of
    England and Wales currently available.

    If you want more, I'd recommend FSDiscover! which adds 36 million geographic
    names from all over the world, which is great for getting to know your way
    around. As I mentioned, UK summit name coverage is not great, but you can
    create your own files to fix that. I'm currently compiling some summit lists
    for use with it.
    http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=fsdisc

    And for real immersion, get a copy of Active Sky X, which provides amazingly
    realistic weather effects and downloads real time weather conditions from
    the internet as you fly.
    http://www.hifisim.com/products.html

    Oh, one more thing, you need quite a powerful computer to run it.

    Paul
    --
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk/
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk/weblog/

  9. Terry Pinnell said:

    Maybe I missed a subsequent post in which you mentioned what flight
    sim software you are talking about here? Around 28/10 I recall your
    saying something like 'Use your 3D features ...jump in your virtual
    plane...". Did you mean a dedicated flight sim app or perhaps Google
    Earth's new 'flying' facility?

    Primarily the flight sim. I wrote another post specifically about that in
    this thread earlier today (at 6:17).

    Anquet and Memory Map both have 3D viewing facilities, but the resolution of
    the aerial photos isn't as good as the flight sim. Also the viewing options
    are somewhat limited and fiddly. To make matters worse the lighting effects
    aren't very good. For example you can't position the sun precisely, and it
    doesn't look at all realistic like the flight sim does.

    With the flight sim on the other hand, you can choose the exact time and
    date and get the correct shadow effects for that time, which is great for
    planning photos (if you want to use it for that). You don't even have to
    fly, you can simply "slew" around the landscape and position yourself at any
    viewpoint you want, so you can "park" the plane on a summit to see the view
    from there (a helicopter is better for this obviously). You even get the
    correct phases of the moon and the stars in the right positions.

    As for Google Earth, I haven't heard about this new flying facility, but
    unless they've improved the terrain mesh I wouldn't bother. The best bits of
    Google Earth have an excellent photo resolution, but the worst bits are
    terrible (i.e. most of Wales), but even where the photo res is good, the
    terrain mesh is far too simple and inaccurate so you don't get the correct
    shape on the land, which makes it a complete waste of time for the purpose
    of familiarising yourself with the topography.

    Anyway, if you're interested, you'll need to buy the latest version of
    Microsoft Flight Sim, called FSX. There's a standard and deluxe version, I'd
    recommend the latter, you get more planes. Don't be put off by the price,
    it's much cheaper if you shop around, you can get it quite cheap on Amazon.

    Then there's the photo scenery. Only England and Wales are covered
    unfortunately, not Scotland.

    There are two products available, Just Flight's VFR Real Scenery (in 4
    areas);
    http://www.justflight.com/vfr-info.asp

    And Horizon's VFR Generation X (in 3 areas);
    http://www.horizonsimulation.com/shopeu/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=74

    I've made detailed comparisons between the two and I'm in no doubt that the
    Horizon product is better. Both have 1m per pixel photo resolution, but
    Horizon has a 5m terrain mesh compared to Just Flight's 10m mesh. Also
    Horizon are creating lots of extras for their scenery, most of which are
    free downloads.

    Both offer demos so you can try them out first, although you'll need a full
    version of FSX to install them, they won't install into the FSX demo. Again
    you can pick these up much cheaper than RRP from Amazon.

    I got FSX Deluxe for about £27, and all three Horizon scenery packages for
    about £67, all inc p&p. So that's £94 for the best 3D photo scenery of
    England and Wales currently available.

    If you want more, I'd recommend FSDiscover! which adds 36 million geographic
    names from all over the world, which is great for getting to know your way
    around. As I mentioned, UK summit name coverage is not great, but you can
    create your own files to fix that. I'm currently compiling some summit lists
    for use with it.
    http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=fsdisc

    And for real immersion, get a copy of Active Sky X, which provides amazingly
    realistic weather effects and downloads real time weather conditions from
    the internet as you fly.
    http://www.hifisim.com/products.html

    Oh, one more thing, you need quite a powerful computer to run it.

    Paul
    --
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk/
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk/weblog/

  10. Terry Pinnell said:

    Maybe I missed a subsequent post in which you mentioned what flight
    sim software you are talking about here? Around 28/10 I recall your
    saying something like 'Use your 3D features ...jump in your virtual
    plane...". Did you mean a dedicated flight sim app or perhaps Google
    Earth's new 'flying' facility?

    Primarily the flight sim. I wrote another post specifically about that in
    this thread earlier today (at 6:17).

    Anquet and Memory Map both have 3D viewing facilities, but the resolution of
    the aerial photos isn't as good as the flight sim. Also the viewing options
    are somewhat limited and fiddly. To make matters worse the lighting effects
    aren't very good. For example you can't position the sun precisely, and it
    doesn't look at all realistic like the flight sim does.

    With the flight sim on the other hand, you can choose the exact time and
    date and get the correct shadow effects for that time, which is great for
    planning photos (if you want to use it for that). You don't even have to
    fly, you can simply "slew" around the landscape and position yourself at any
    viewpoint you want, so you can "park" the plane on a summit to see the view
    from there (a helicopter is better for this obviously). You even get the
    correct phases of the moon and the stars in the right positions.

    As for Google Earth, I haven't heard about this new flying facility, but
    unless they've improved the terrain mesh I wouldn't bother. The best bits of
    Google Earth have an excellent photo resolution, but the worst bits are
    terrible (i.e. most of Wales), but even where the photo res is good, the
    terrain mesh is far too simple and inaccurate so you don't get the correct
    shape on the land, which makes it a complete waste of time for the purpose
    of familiarising yourself with the topography.

    Anyway, if you're interested, you'll need to buy the latest version of
    Microsoft Flight Sim, called FSX. There's a standard and deluxe version, I'd
    recommend the latter, you get more planes. Don't be put off by the price,
    it's much cheaper if you shop around, you can get it quite cheap on Amazon.

    Then there's the photo scenery. Only England and Wales are covered
    unfortunately, not Scotland.

    There are two products available, Just Flight's VFR Real Scenery (in 4
    areas);
    http://www.justflight.com/vfr-info.asp

    And Horizon's VFR Generation X (in 3 areas);
    http://www.horizonsimulation.com/shopeu/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=74

    I've made detailed comparisons between the two and I'm in no doubt that the
    Horizon product is better. Both have 1m per pixel photo resolution, but
    Horizon has a 5m terrain mesh compared to Just Flight's 10m mesh. Also
    Horizon are creating lots of extras for their scenery, most of which are
    free downloads.

    Both offer demos so you can try them out first, although you'll need a full
    version of FSX to install them, they won't install into the FSX demo. Again
    you can pick these up much cheaper than RRP from Amazon.

    I got FSX Deluxe for about £27, and all three Horizon scenery packages for
    about £67, all inc p&p. So that's £94 for the best 3D photo scenery of
    England and Wales currently available.

    If you want more, I'd recommend FSDiscover! which adds 36 million geographic
    names from all over the world, which is great for getting to know your way
    around. As I mentioned, UK summit name coverage is not great, but you can
    create your own files to fix that. I'm currently compiling some summit lists
    for use with it.
    http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=fsdisc

    And for real immersion, get a copy of Active Sky X, which provides amazingly
    realistic weather effects and downloads real time weather conditions from
    the internet as you fly.
    http://www.hifisim.com/products.html

    Oh, one more thing, you need quite a powerful computer to run it.

    Paul
    --
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk/
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk/weblog/

  11. In message <[email hidden]>

    Paul Saunders said:
    Bernard Hill said:
    Quoted message said:

    Most hill walking is done in good visibility

    !!!

    I wish it were so.

    Having travelled tens or hundreds of miles to a walking area you have
    to be really lucky to stay out of the clouds.

    Quoted message said:

    But then you're obviously pretty serious about doing the walk you have
    planned. I was thinking more of casual walkers. The hills are covered with
    them on sunny days, but you usually see only serious walkers when the
    weather is bad.

    That's a tad harsh. Just because you don't like trudging around in
    zero visibility (so you may as well be anywhere), getting poured on
    and blown around, doesn't make you a casual walker. All I find those
    sort of conditions do is make you really enjoy the shower and pint
    afterwards.

    --
    Simon Challands

  12. Simon Challands said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > Most hill walking is done in good visibility

    !!!

    I wish it were so.

    Having travelled tens or hundreds of miles to a walking area you
    have to be really lucky to stay out of the clouds.

    Quoted message said:

    But then you're obviously pretty serious about doing the walk you
    have planned. I was thinking more of casual walkers. The hills are
    covered with them on sunny days, but you usually see only serious
    walkers when the weather is bad.

    That's a tad harsh. Just because you don't like trudging around in
    zero visibility (so you may as well be anywhere), getting poured on
    and blown around, doesn't make you a casual walker.

    Just because casual walkers tend to be put off by rain doesn't automatically
    mean that anyone put off by rain is therefore a casual walker, I didn't mean
    to imply that.

    But my point still stands, that most hill walking is done in good
    visibility. You don't get crowds of people climbing hills on rainy days like
    you do on sunny days. Most people prefer to wait for fine weather.

    However, if as Bernard said, you've travelled a long way with a view to
    doing a specific walk, many serious walkers will tend to do it anyway, no
    matter what the weather. And of course, most serious walkers will be
    equipped for bad weather, whereas casual walkers usually won't.

    Quoted message said:

    All I find those
    sort of conditions do is make you really enjoy the shower and pint
    afterwards.

    I've had some very enjoyable walks in the rain, it adds a lot of atmosphere
    in the right environment. However, it can be a drag if you get soaked
    through. I'd say that my ability to enjoy a rain walk depends largely on the
    capacity of my equipment to keep me reasonably dry.

    Paul
    --
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk/
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk/weblog/

  13. Simon Challands said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > Most hill walking is done in good visibility

    !!!

    I wish it were so.

    Having travelled tens or hundreds of miles to a walking area you
    have to be really lucky to stay out of the clouds.

    Quoted message said:

    But then you're obviously pretty serious about doing the walk you
    have planned. I was thinking more of casual walkers. The hills are
    covered with them on sunny days, but you usually see only serious
    walkers when the weather is bad.

    That's a tad harsh. Just because you don't like trudging around in
    zero visibility (so you may as well be anywhere), getting poured on
    and blown around, doesn't make you a casual walker.

    Just because casual walkers tend to be put off by rain doesn't automatically
    mean that anyone put off by rain is therefore a casual walker, I didn't mean
    to imply that.

    But my point still stands, that most hill walking is done in good
    visibility. You don't get crowds of people climbing hills on rainy days like
    you do on sunny days. Most people prefer to wait for fine weather.

    However, if as Bernard said, you've travelled a long way with a view to
    doing a specific walk, many serious walkers will tend to do it anyway, no
    matter what the weather. And of course, most serious walkers will be
    equipped for bad weather, whereas casual walkers usually won't.

    Quoted message said:

    All I find those
    sort of conditions do is make you really enjoy the shower and pint
    afterwards.

    I've had some very enjoyable walks in the rain, it adds a lot of atmosphere
    in the right environment. However, it can be a drag if you get soaked
    through. I'd say that my ability to enjoy a rain walk depends largely on the
    capacity of my equipment to keep me reasonably dry.

    Paul
    --
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk/
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk/weblog/

  14. Simon Challands said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > Most hill walking is done in good visibility

    !!!

    I wish it were so.

    Having travelled tens or hundreds of miles to a walking area you
    have to be really lucky to stay out of the clouds.

    Quoted message said:

    But then you're obviously pretty serious about doing the walk you
    have planned. I was thinking more of casual walkers. The hills are
    covered with them on sunny days, but you usually see only serious
    walkers when the weather is bad.

    That's a tad harsh. Just because you don't like trudging around in
    zero visibility (so you may as well be anywhere), getting poured on
    and blown around, doesn't make you a casual walker.

    Just because casual walkers tend to be put off by rain doesn't automatically
    mean that anyone put off by rain is therefore a casual walker, I didn't mean
    to imply that.

    But my point still stands, that most hill walking is done in good
    visibility. You don't get crowds of people climbing hills on rainy days like
    you do on sunny days. Most people prefer to wait for fine weather.

    However, if as Bernard said, you've travelled a long way with a view to
    doing a specific walk, many serious walkers will tend to do it anyway, no
    matter what the weather. And of course, most serious walkers will be
    equipped for bad weather, whereas casual walkers usually won't.

    Quoted message said:

    All I find those
    sort of conditions do is make you really enjoy the shower and pint
    afterwards.

    I've had some very enjoyable walks in the rain, it adds a lot of atmosphere
    in the right environment. However, it can be a drag if you get soaked
    through. I'd say that my ability to enjoy a rain walk depends largely on the
    capacity of my equipment to keep me reasonably dry.

    Paul
    --
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk/
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk/weblog/

  15. Simon Challands said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > Most hill walking is done in good visibility

    !!!

    I wish it were so.

    Having travelled tens or hundreds of miles to a walking area you
    have to be really lucky to stay out of the clouds.

    Quoted message said:

    But then you're obviously pretty serious about doing the walk you
    have planned. I was thinking more of casual walkers. The hills are
    covered with them on sunny days, but you usually see only serious
    walkers when the weather is bad.

    That's a tad harsh. Just because you don't like trudging around in
    zero visibility (so you may as well be anywhere), getting poured on
    and blown around, doesn't make you a casual walker.

    Just because casual walkers tend to be put off by rain doesn't automatically
    mean that anyone put off by rain is therefore a casual walker, I didn't mean
    to imply that.

    But my point still stands, that most hill walking is done in good
    visibility. You don't get crowds of people climbing hills on rainy days like
    you do on sunny days. Most people prefer to wait for fine weather.

    However, if as Bernard said, you've travelled a long way with a view to
    doing a specific walk, many serious walkers will tend to do it anyway, no
    matter what the weather. And of course, most serious walkers will be
    equipped for bad weather, whereas casual walkers usually won't.

    Quoted message said:

    All I find those
    sort of conditions do is make you really enjoy the shower and pint
    afterwards.

    I've had some very enjoyable walks in the rain, it adds a lot of atmosphere
    in the right environment. However, it can be a drag if you get soaked
    through. I'd say that my ability to enjoy a rain walk depends largely on the
    capacity of my equipment to keep me reasonably dry.

    Paul
    --
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk/
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk/weblog/

  16. Paul Saunders said:
    Terry Pinnell said:

    Maybe I missed a subsequent post in which you mentioned what flight
    sim software you are talking about here? Around 28/10 I recall your
    saying something like 'Use your 3D features ...jump in your virtual
    plane...". Did you mean a dedicated flight sim app or perhaps Google
    Earth's new 'flying' facility?

    Primarily the flight sim. I wrote another post specifically about that in
    this thread earlier today (at 6:17).

    Anquet and Memory Map both have 3D viewing facilities, but the resolution of
    the aerial photos isn't as good as the flight sim. Also the viewing options
    are somewhat limited and fiddly. To make matters worse the lighting effects
    aren't very good. For example you can't position the sun precisely, and it
    doesn't look at all realistic like the flight sim does.

    With the flight sim on the other hand, you can choose the exact time and
    date and get the correct shadow effects for that time, which is great for
    planning photos (if you want to use it for that). You don't even have to
    fly, you can simply "slew" around the landscape and position yourself at any
    viewpoint you want, so you can "park" the plane on a summit to see the view
    from there (a helicopter is better for this obviously). You even get the
    correct phases of the moon and the stars in the right positions.

    As for Google Earth, I haven't heard about this new flying facility, but
    unless they've improved the terrain mesh I wouldn't bother. The best bits of
    Google Earth have an excellent photo resolution, but the worst bits are
    terrible (i.e. most of Wales), but even where the photo res is good, the
    terrain mesh is far too simple and inaccurate so you don't get the correct
    shape on the land, which makes it a complete waste of time for the purpose
    of familiarising yourself with the topography.

    Anyway, if you're interested, you'll need to buy the latest version of
    Microsoft Flight Sim, called FSX. There's a standard and deluxe version, I'd
    recommend the latter, you get more planes. Don't be put off by the price,
    it's much cheaper if you shop around, you can get it quite cheap on Amazon.

    Then there's the photo scenery. Only England and Wales are covered
    unfortunately, not Scotland.

    There are two products available, Just Flight's VFR Real Scenery (in 4
    areas);
    http://www.justflight.com/vfr-info.asp

    And Horizon's VFR Generation X (in 3 areas);
    http://www.horizonsimulation.com/shopeu/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=74

    I've made detailed comparisons between the two and I'm in no doubt that the
    Horizon product is better. Both have 1m per pixel photo resolution, but
    Horizon has a 5m terrain mesh compared to Just Flight's 10m mesh. Also
    Horizon are creating lots of extras for their scenery, most of which are
    free downloads.

    Both offer demos so you can try them out first, although you'll need a full
    version of FSX to install them, they won't install into the FSX demo. Again
    you can pick these up much cheaper than RRP from Amazon.

    I got FSX Deluxe for about £27, and all three Horizon scenery packages for
    about £67, all inc p&p. So that's £94 for the best 3D photo scenery of
    England and Wales currently available.

    If you want more, I'd recommend FSDiscover! which adds 36 million geographic
    names from all over the world, which is great for getting to know your way
    around. As I mentioned, UK summit name coverage is not great, but you can
    create your own files to fix that. I'm currently compiling some summit lists
    for use with it.
    http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=fsdisc

    And for real immersion, get a copy of Active Sky X, which provides amazingly
    realistic weather effects and downloads real time weather conditions from
    the internet as you fly.
    http://www.hifisim.com/products.html

    Oh, one more thing, you need quite a powerful computer to run it.

    Paul

    Thanks, sounds great. I haven't yet got around to upgrading my 5 year
    old MESH Athlon 1800 1GB, so in view of your concluding comment I
    wonder if I would need to do so before I could satisfactorily use FSX?
    Your observation seems reinforced at this page
    http://flyawaysimulation.com/postt24372.html where I read:
    "However, there is one FUNDAMENTAL problem: how come no-one can run
    FSX properly? By that, I mean without compromise in graphic visuals,
    whilst retaining playable framerates. To give you an idea, even the
    high-end computers at the Microsoft E3 show were struggling to show
    off FSX in all its beauty."

    And also

    "FSX is very much graphics resourceful (i.e. the importance of having
    a powerful graphics card surpasses that of having a fast CPU)."

    My graphics is a modest 64MB NVidia Geforce2 MX/MX 400, although it
    does give me pretty good touring (and tour capture for video clips) in
    Google Earth.

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

  17. Paul Saunders said:
    Terry Pinnell said:

    Maybe I missed a subsequent post in which you mentioned what flight
    sim software you are talking about here? Around 28/10 I recall your
    saying something like 'Use your 3D features ...jump in your virtual
    plane...". Did you mean a dedicated flight sim app or perhaps Google
    Earth's new 'flying' facility?

    Primarily the flight sim. I wrote another post specifically about that in
    this thread earlier today (at 6:17).

    Anquet and Memory Map both have 3D viewing facilities, but the resolution of
    the aerial photos isn't as good as the flight sim. Also the viewing options
    are somewhat limited and fiddly. To make matters worse the lighting effects
    aren't very good. For example you can't position the sun precisely, and it
    doesn't look at all realistic like the flight sim does.

    With the flight sim on the other hand, you can choose the exact time and
    date and get the correct shadow effects for that time, which is great for
    planning photos (if you want to use it for that). You don't even have to
    fly, you can simply "slew" around the landscape and position yourself at any
    viewpoint you want, so you can "park" the plane on a summit to see the view
    from there (a helicopter is better for this obviously). You even get the
    correct phases of the moon and the stars in the right positions.

    As for Google Earth, I haven't heard about this new flying facility, but
    unless they've improved the terrain mesh I wouldn't bother. The best bits of
    Google Earth have an excellent photo resolution, but the worst bits are
    terrible (i.e. most of Wales), but even where the photo res is good, the
    terrain mesh is far too simple and inaccurate so you don't get the correct
    shape on the land, which makes it a complete waste of time for the purpose
    of familiarising yourself with the topography.

    Anyway, if you're interested, you'll need to buy the latest version of
    Microsoft Flight Sim, called FSX. There's a standard and deluxe version, I'd
    recommend the latter, you get more planes. Don't be put off by the price,
    it's much cheaper if you shop around, you can get it quite cheap on Amazon.

    Then there's the photo scenery. Only England and Wales are covered
    unfortunately, not Scotland.

    There are two products available, Just Flight's VFR Real Scenery (in 4
    areas);
    http://www.justflight.com/vfr-info.asp

    And Horizon's VFR Generation X (in 3 areas);
    http://www.horizonsimulation.com/shopeu/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=74

    I've made detailed comparisons between the two and I'm in no doubt that the
    Horizon product is better. Both have 1m per pixel photo resolution, but
    Horizon has a 5m terrain mesh compared to Just Flight's 10m mesh. Also
    Horizon are creating lots of extras for their scenery, most of which are
    free downloads.

    Both offer demos so you can try them out first, although you'll need a full
    version of FSX to install them, they won't install into the FSX demo. Again
    you can pick these up much cheaper than RRP from Amazon.

    I got FSX Deluxe for about £27, and all three Horizon scenery packages for
    about £67, all inc p&p. So that's £94 for the best 3D photo scenery of
    England and Wales currently available.

    If you want more, I'd recommend FSDiscover! which adds 36 million geographic
    names from all over the world, which is great for getting to know your way
    around. As I mentioned, UK summit name coverage is not great, but you can
    create your own files to fix that. I'm currently compiling some summit lists
    for use with it.
    http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=fsdisc

    And for real immersion, get a copy of Active Sky X, which provides amazingly
    realistic weather effects and downloads real time weather conditions from
    the internet as you fly.
    http://www.hifisim.com/products.html

    Oh, one more thing, you need quite a powerful computer to run it.

    Paul

    Thanks, sounds great. I haven't yet got around to upgrading my 5 year
    old MESH Athlon 1800 1GB, so in view of your concluding comment I
    wonder if I would need to do so before I could satisfactorily use FSX?
    Your observation seems reinforced at this page
    http://flyawaysimulation.com/postt24372.html where I read:
    "However, there is one FUNDAMENTAL problem: how come no-one can run
    FSX properly? By that, I mean without compromise in graphic visuals,
    whilst retaining playable framerates. To give you an idea, even the
    high-end computers at the Microsoft E3 show were struggling to show
    off FSX in all its beauty."

    And also

    "FSX is very much graphics resourceful (i.e. the importance of having
    a powerful graphics card surpasses that of having a fast CPU)."

    My graphics is a modest 64MB NVidia Geforce2 MX/MX 400, although it
    does give me pretty good touring (and tour capture for video clips) in
    Google Earth.

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

  18. Paul Saunders said:
    Terry Pinnell said:

    Maybe I missed a subsequent post in which you mentioned what flight
    sim software you are talking about here? Around 28/10 I recall your
    saying something like 'Use your 3D features ...jump in your virtual
    plane...". Did you mean a dedicated flight sim app or perhaps Google
    Earth's new 'flying' facility?

    Primarily the flight sim. I wrote another post specifically about that in
    this thread earlier today (at 6:17).

    Anquet and Memory Map both have 3D viewing facilities, but the resolution of
    the aerial photos isn't as good as the flight sim. Also the viewing options
    are somewhat limited and fiddly. To make matters worse the lighting effects
    aren't very good. For example you can't position the sun precisely, and it
    doesn't look at all realistic like the flight sim does.

    With the flight sim on the other hand, you can choose the exact time and
    date and get the correct shadow effects for that time, which is great for
    planning photos (if you want to use it for that). You don't even have to
    fly, you can simply "slew" around the landscape and position yourself at any
    viewpoint you want, so you can "park" the plane on a summit to see the view
    from there (a helicopter is better for this obviously). You even get the
    correct phases of the moon and the stars in the right positions.

    As for Google Earth, I haven't heard about this new flying facility, but
    unless they've improved the terrain mesh I wouldn't bother. The best bits of
    Google Earth have an excellent photo resolution, but the worst bits are
    terrible (i.e. most of Wales), but even where the photo res is good, the
    terrain mesh is far too simple and inaccurate so you don't get the correct
    shape on the land, which makes it a complete waste of time for the purpose
    of familiarising yourself with the topography.

    Anyway, if you're interested, you'll need to buy the latest version of
    Microsoft Flight Sim, called FSX. There's a standard and deluxe version, I'd
    recommend the latter, you get more planes. Don't be put off by the price,
    it's much cheaper if you shop around, you can get it quite cheap on Amazon.

    Then there's the photo scenery. Only England and Wales are covered
    unfortunately, not Scotland.

    There are two products available, Just Flight's VFR Real Scenery (in 4
    areas);
    http://www.justflight.com/vfr-info.asp

    And Horizon's VFR Generation X (in 3 areas);
    http://www.horizonsimulation.com/shopeu/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=74

    I've made detailed comparisons between the two and I'm in no doubt that the
    Horizon product is better. Both have 1m per pixel photo resolution, but
    Horizon has a 5m terrain mesh compared to Just Flight's 10m mesh. Also
    Horizon are creating lots of extras for their scenery, most of which are
    free downloads.

    Both offer demos so you can try them out first, although you'll need a full
    version of FSX to install them, they won't install into the FSX demo. Again
    you can pick these up much cheaper than RRP from Amazon.

    I got FSX Deluxe for about £27, and all three Horizon scenery packages for
    about £67, all inc p&p. So that's £94 for the best 3D photo scenery of
    England and Wales currently available.

    If you want more, I'd recommend FSDiscover! which adds 36 million geographic
    names from all over the world, which is great for getting to know your way
    around. As I mentioned, UK summit name coverage is not great, but you can
    create your own files to fix that. I'm currently compiling some summit lists
    for use with it.
    http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=fsdisc

    And for real immersion, get a copy of Active Sky X, which provides amazingly
    realistic weather effects and downloads real time weather conditions from
    the internet as you fly.
    http://www.hifisim.com/products.html

    Oh, one more thing, you need quite a powerful computer to run it.

    Paul

    Thanks, sounds great. I haven't yet got around to upgrading my 5 year
    old MESH Athlon 1800 1GB, so in view of your concluding comment I
    wonder if I would need to do so before I could satisfactorily use FSX?
    Your observation seems reinforced at this page
    http://flyawaysimulation.com/postt24372.html where I read:
    "However, there is one FUNDAMENTAL problem: how come no-one can run
    FSX properly? By that, I mean without compromise in graphic visuals,
    whilst retaining playable framerates. To give you an idea, even the
    high-end computers at the Microsoft E3 show were struggling to show
    off FSX in all its beauty."

    And also

    "FSX is very much graphics resourceful (i.e. the importance of having
    a powerful graphics card surpasses that of having a fast CPU)."

    My graphics is a modest 64MB NVidia Geforce2 MX/MX 400, although it
    does give me pretty good touring (and tour capture for video clips) in
    Google Earth.

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

  19. Paul Saunders said:
    Terry Pinnell said:

    Maybe I missed a subsequent post in which you mentioned what flight
    sim software you are talking about here? Around 28/10 I recall your
    saying something like 'Use your 3D features ...jump in your virtual
    plane...". Did you mean a dedicated flight sim app or perhaps Google
    Earth's new 'flying' facility?

    Primarily the flight sim. I wrote another post specifically about that in
    this thread earlier today (at 6:17).

    Anquet and Memory Map both have 3D viewing facilities, but the resolution of
    the aerial photos isn't as good as the flight sim. Also the viewing options
    are somewhat limited and fiddly. To make matters worse the lighting effects
    aren't very good. For example you can't position the sun precisely, and it
    doesn't look at all realistic like the flight sim does.

    With the flight sim on the other hand, you can choose the exact time and
    date and get the correct shadow effects for that time, which is great for
    planning photos (if you want to use it for that). You don't even have to
    fly, you can simply "slew" around the landscape and position yourself at any
    viewpoint you want, so you can "park" the plane on a summit to see the view
    from there (a helicopter is better for this obviously). You even get the
    correct phases of the moon and the stars in the right positions.

    As for Google Earth, I haven't heard about this new flying facility, but
    unless they've improved the terrain mesh I wouldn't bother. The best bits of
    Google Earth have an excellent photo resolution, but the worst bits are
    terrible (i.e. most of Wales), but even where the photo res is good, the
    terrain mesh is far too simple and inaccurate so you don't get the correct
    shape on the land, which makes it a complete waste of time for the purpose
    of familiarising yourself with the topography.

    Anyway, if you're interested, you'll need to buy the latest version of
    Microsoft Flight Sim, called FSX. There's a standard and deluxe version, I'd
    recommend the latter, you get more planes. Don't be put off by the price,
    it's much cheaper if you shop around, you can get it quite cheap on Amazon.

    Then there's the photo scenery. Only England and Wales are covered
    unfortunately, not Scotland.

    There are two products available, Just Flight's VFR Real Scenery (in 4
    areas);
    http://www.justflight.com/vfr-info.asp

    And Horizon's VFR Generation X (in 3 areas);
    http://www.horizonsimulation.com/shopeu/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=74

    I've made detailed comparisons between the two and I'm in no doubt that the
    Horizon product is better. Both have 1m per pixel photo resolution, but
    Horizon has a 5m terrain mesh compared to Just Flight's 10m mesh. Also
    Horizon are creating lots of extras for their scenery, most of which are
    free downloads.

    Both offer demos so you can try them out first, although you'll need a full
    version of FSX to install them, they won't install into the FSX demo. Again
    you can pick these up much cheaper than RRP from Amazon.

    I got FSX Deluxe for about £27, and all three Horizon scenery packages for
    about £67, all inc p&p. So that's £94 for the best 3D photo scenery of
    England and Wales currently available.

    If you want more, I'd recommend FSDiscover! which adds 36 million geographic
    names from all over the world, which is great for getting to know your way
    around. As I mentioned, UK summit name coverage is not great, but you can
    create your own files to fix that. I'm currently compiling some summit lists
    for use with it.
    http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=fsdisc

    And for real immersion, get a copy of Active Sky X, which provides amazingly
    realistic weather effects and downloads real time weather conditions from
    the internet as you fly.
    http://www.hifisim.com/products.html

    Oh, one more thing, you need quite a powerful computer to run it.

    Paul

    Thanks, sounds great. I haven't yet got around to upgrading my 5 year
    old MESH Athlon 1800 1GB, so in view of your concluding comment I
    wonder if I would need to do so before I could satisfactorily use FSX?
    Your observation seems reinforced at this page
    http://flyawaysimulation.com/postt24372.html where I read:
    "However, there is one FUNDAMENTAL problem: how come no-one can run
    FSX properly? By that, I mean without compromise in graphic visuals,
    whilst retaining playable framerates. To give you an idea, even the
    high-end computers at the Microsoft E3 show were struggling to show
    off FSX in all its beauty."

    And also

    "FSX is very much graphics resourceful (i.e. the importance of having
    a powerful graphics card surpasses that of having a fast CPU)."

    My graphics is a modest 64MB NVidia Geforce2 MX/MX 400, although it
    does give me pretty good touring (and tour capture for video clips) in
    Google Earth.

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

  20. "Paul Saunders" <[email hidden]> wrote:

    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    Both offer demos so you can try them out first, although you'll need a full
    version of FSX to install them, they won't install into the FSX demo. Again
    you can pick these up much cheaper than RRP from Amazon.

    Alternatively there are demo videos. I just played a couple from VFR
    which impressed me. Looking at the Horizon site right now but so far
    not found any.

    BTW, I'm interested in viewing, not aircraft flying. Presumably you
    can switch off all evidence of the cockpit etc?

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.