Advice for Riding in the Rain

robertjuric

Nov 25, 2012
It's been raining here for almost a week solid now and looking at another wet weather week. I'm going stir crazy on the trainer. How many of you ride in the rain? Any recommendations for a jacket or other gear that would help?

Consider a GORE-TEX-or-equivalent (I.e., "breathable") jacket and/or pants ...

Robust "touring" tires will lessen the likelihood of flats.

FENDERS will be your friend!!

transparent PVC plastic with velcro cycling rain jackets for example, they cost 20 usd., you can fold it and carry in your jersey's back pocket when the rain stops, if it is too cold then you also need winter apparel of course together with the rain jacket and winter gloves, etc

Yea I've quickly realized my "water resistant" jacket isn't going to cut it. I was looking at this for a temporary fender: http://ass-savers.com/

SKS has got fenders for road bikes, easily installed and uninstalled, i have a pair on my touring-commuter bike,

+1 on the SKS fender, I use the raceblade 28c. I just use the rear, pops on and off in about 2 mins. No better or worse than the backscratcher types, I just like the look better. I also drop tire pressure 5-10psi for better traction. The race rain jackets are super cheap but don't breath that well. I'd go for Gortex something. I tried the very expensive Assos ClimaJet some time back, didn't breath one bit. Was just as wet under the jacket aftter the ride as if I'd worn nothing at all. If you got a cutaway saddle and no fender, a piece of duck tape helps alleviate the constant bidet spray on the tuccus.

SKS-Raceblade-Silver.jpg

Originally Posted by robertjuric .

It's been raining here for almost a week solid now and looking at another wet weather week. I'm going stir crazy on the trainer. How many of you ride in the rain? Any recommendations for a jacket or other gear that would help?
I ride in the rain a lot since I moved to Seattle. The key thing is to keep warm, dry is nice but realistically you'll tend to get wet either from water or sweat if you ride hard so the important thing is keeping warm. The clear inexpensive rain capes that vspa recommended are good in a pinch but if it rains a lot and you know you'll be out in the rain then there are better options. I really like the Shower's Pass jackets and use one for commuting or when leaving the house into a downpour. If it's just threatening rain then I go with a Pactimo rain cape which breathes a bit and is much nicer than the plastic versions.

The SKS raceblade fenders are good and can be fitted to most road bikes easily enough. Also be sure to carry a good repair kit with extra tubes and extra CO2 cartridges as flats are pretty common on wet roads where debris tends to stick to tires and increases the chances of a puncture. If you'll ride a lot in the rain then get heavier tires like Continental 4 Seasons for a bit of extra insurance.

Other tricks include wearing a brimmed cycling cap under your helmet to keep water from dripping onto your eyewear or into your eyes and if it's raining hard and cold then glasses become fogged and water spotted and it's often best to just skip the eyewear. A treatment of RainX can help reduce eyewear issues in the rain but fogging is still common, especially when you stop for traffic lights and such.

Good gloves are a must in cold rain and if it's real cold try wearing latex or nitrile surgical gloves under your normal gloves. You'll still get plenty wet from your sweat but it will be warm and wet which beats icy cold and wet. Booties are also a very good idea in the rain both for warmth and to keep your shoes a bit drier and much cleaner.

It's been sunny cold and very frosty and icy here lately and after slipping out several times on black ice during morning commutes I almost miss the rainy days, sure sign I've been in this town too long...

-Dave

FYI if you don't have a lot of clearance around the fork or in the rear triangle, you may need to use a tire that's a size or so narrower than you normally use. Notice the "may".

Slow down a bit, let a few PSI out of your tires for traction, and be doubly aware of the traffic around you, because the drivers will be even less aware of you.

And wool jerseys, socks, and tights do a better job than synthetics of keeping you warm when wet.

Be careful also, crossing painted lines on the road like crosswalks, solid yellow lines etc. They can get very slippery and your traction will disappear.

Originally Posted by robertjuric .

I am too old to want to ride in the rain.

When I was younger, I found out that a Goretex rain jacket with hood and matching pants kept the rain out. Long sleeves and pants - usually just light weight long underwear, kept the cold jacket and pants off my arms and legs.

Never adjusted my tire pressure, but I am lax about checking the pressure. Never worried about traffic, but I doubt that watching the traffic behind me would affect the outcome.

---

Lost my rain pants one day. The rain had stopped and I had put them in my jersey pocket. Next thing I knew a passing motorist was offering to handed them to me.

If you ride bike paths beware of wooden bridges, slick as ice when wet. I cover my bike computer with a sandwich bag and rubberband. the padding in bike shorts can become quite soggy, wear rain gear. avoid cushy cloth saddles...takes days to dry out...just a few things to consider

I purchased and posted on my blog regarding the Showers Pass Double Century jacket and of course they make a variety of jackets from race level to commuting. I am adding a link to give you an idea of how this particular jacket packs down to store in a jersey pocket. I wrote this back in 2011 and have still not worn this jacket while cycling in the rain because I typically prefer not to wear an outer shell during training to keep from overheating. I don't mind riding wet. I will wear an ultra light shell (packs down to the size of a baseball) if the rain drops are stinging my skin from velocity and force. I really like Showers Pass because it is one of the few that have taped seams and I use it as a general rain jacket. A true rain jacket with taped seams is not going to pack down small if that is a concern, but it is nice in time to have a variety of outer shells from lightweight to true rain shells.

http://thecyclingaddiction.blogspot.com/2011/04/showers-pass-double-century-review.html

A lot of good advice above and I just want to add is being seen by drivers in certain rain events. A couple weeks ago in a group of 20 cyclist heading out in a light rain and slightly foggy condition I got to see a variety of tail lights being used. In the paceline rotation I was behind a friend that was using a Cygolite Hotshot http://cygolite.com/products/hotshot2W2.html and asked him to turn it off because it literally impacted my vision it was so bright (just kidding with him so he left it on). However, when the group started splitting apart and my friend was in that front group his tail light was the only one that remained visible as the other tail lights were starting to fade in the rain and fog. That being the case I purchased one last week since I do a lot of my training solo and want to stay visible in those conditions that drivers are struggling to see to stay in the lane, much less, avoid a cyclist they cannot see very well. This is not an endorsement of that particular light, but more of a point to be sure you remain visible in bad conditions. However, I am impressed as to how bright it is compared the typical cheap tail light.

Cleaning the bike is another important task. As Dave mentioned about flats that riding in the wet the bike collects a lot of fine particle grime that will act as sand paper to the drive train, cable housings, other components and even collect in the rims in certain cases. A few years ago we did 3 State 3 Mountain century and when I removed the tires after the event I believe there was a 1/4 cup of water in the tires. My last ride in the rain took well over an hour to clean the bike.