Advice help requested what do I need for under clothes

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by [email protected], Dec 12, 2005.

  1. Hey I am doing a sponsored ride in Feb in Lincolnshire. I Need to know
    should I get some waterproof trousers or will be winter aultra tights
    be ok? Also one more important thing, what do most cyclists where under
    lyrcr shorts, I mean seriosuly, I presently wear lycra shorts with one
    of those pads inside then tights on top.

    Tags:

  2. POHB

    POHB Guest

    Hey I heard you the first time! ;-)

    How long is the ride? Much longer than you're used to? Are you going to be
    hanging around at the start and end?
    Anyway, waterproof trousers are horrible and should only be worn if it is
    chucking it down and/or you're on a short ride, otherwise you get just as
    wet from the inside out. Personally I wear shorts unless the temperature is
    down to around freezing.
    If you wear padded shorts with tights on top and you are comfy then go with
    that, I think it is "normal" not to wear anything under the padded stuff.
    If not comfy then try something different.

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hey I am doing a sponsored ride in Feb in Lincolnshire. I Need to know
    > should I get some waterproof trousers or will be winter aultra tights
    > be ok? Also one more important thing, what do most cyclists where under
    > lyrcr shorts, I mean seriosuly, I presently wear lycra shorts with one
    > of those pads inside then tights on top.

  3. Waterproof trousers are horrible but they can be a boon in reducing
    wind chill especially if you are exhausted, slow or just hanging
    about, when exposed to bad weather. Hat and gloves could be handy -
    they make a huge difference when you start to feel a bit chilly.
    Generally cold weather is never as bad as you expect - after 5 minutes
    pedalling you generate your own cosy micro-climate.

  4. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > Hey I am doing a sponsored ride in Feb in Lincolnshire. I Need to know
    > should I get some waterproof trousers or will be winter aultra tights
    > be ok? Also one more important thing, what do most cyclists where under
    > lyrcr shorts, I mean seriosuly, I presently wear lycra shorts with one
    > of those pads inside then tights on top.

    Nothing under the shorts, seriously. It you're cycling a long way then
    some nappy cream smeared into the pad is said to be good, but I've never
    done this. /Anything/ you wear under the shorts will make you
    uncomfortable.

    Don't wear waterproof trousers ('boil in the bags') unless it's really
    pissing down. You'll get damper from sweat than you will from rain. You
    can get bibtights with waterproof fronts and breathable backs which are
    said to be good but I've never tried them.

    Das Internet is nicht fuer gefingerclicken und giffengrabben... Ist
    nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das mausklicken sichtseeren
    keepen das bandwit-spewin hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und
    watchen das cursorblinken. -- quoted from the jargon file

  5. Can't resist a quick "Cut & Paste" from the original question to this
    answer......

    [email protected] wrote:
    >just hanging
    > about, exposed

    And to mis-quote a Scotsman, "Nothing is worn under the shorts, it's all in
    perfect working order".
    (Except I use boxers, but you're not supposed to.)

    --

    Martin Bulmer