Advice on Bike Purchase: Racing, Distance, Rec.

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Sykospark, Mar 12, 2003.

  1. Sykospark

    Sykospark Guest

    Hi all! After extensively going through this ng and rec.bicycles.racing, I have decided to post my
    inquiry to this ng.

    I am looking to purchase a new bike. I have a low level Trek 400 series for trail biking, but it is
    street biking that has my heart.

    My street bike is a 12 year old Schwinn. I love her, but time to retire her due to my new needs.

    I am looking to get into bike racing, and also do a lot of long distance biking. I am very lucky to
    be near some amazing cycle stores in Massachusetts (North of Boston), but don't want to saunter into
    any of them without any prior knowledge of what to look for.

    I am willing to purchase a durable bike for long distance and Intro to Racing needs, and if I get
    very serious about the racing, then purchase a seperate bike for that.

    So what do you all recommend?

    Thank you very much!!! sykospark

    Tags:

  2. ??

    ?? Guest

    hi "sykospark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all! After extensively going through this ng and rec.bicycles.racing, I have decided to post my
    > inquiry to this ng.
    >
    > I am looking to purchase a new bike. I have a low level Trek 400 series for trail biking, but it
    > is street biking that has my heart.
    >
    > My street bike is a 12 year old Schwinn. I love her, but time to retire her due to my new needs.
    >
    > I am looking to get into bike racing, and also do a lot of long distance biking. I am very lucky
    > to be near some amazing cycle stores in Massachusetts (North of Boston), but don't want to saunter
    > into any of them without any prior knowledge of what to look for.
    >
    > I am willing to purchase a durable bike for long distance and Intro to Racing needs, and if I get
    > very serious about the racing, then purchase a seperate bike for that.
    >
    > So what do you all recommend?
    >
    > Thank you very much!!! sykospark

  3. Archer

    Archer Guest

    You might look into Specialized's Sequoiah series. The Expert and Elite (the top two models) both
    have STI groups (105 on the Expert, and I'm not sure of the model on the Elite). They are marketed
    as comfortable performance bikes, about $1100 for the Expert and $1500 (IIRC) for the Elite.

    > Hi all! After extensively going through this ng and rec.bicycles.racing, I have decided to post my
    > inquiry to this ng.
    >
    > I am looking to purchase a new bike. I have a low level Trek 400 series for trail biking, but it
    > is street biking that has my heart.
    >
    > My street bike is a 12 year old Schwinn. I love her, but time to retire her due to my new needs.
    >
    > I am looking to get into bike racing, and also do a lot of long distance biking. I am very lucky
    > to be near some amazing cycle stores in Massachusetts (North of Boston), but don't want to saunter
    > into any of them without any prior knowledge of what to look for.
    >
    > I am willing to purchase a durable bike for long distance and Intro to Racing needs, and if I get
    > very serious about the racing, then purchase a seperate bike for that.
    >
    > So what do you all recommend?
    >
    > Thank you very much!!! sykospark

    it's morning".

  4. Jon Isaacs

    Jon Isaacs Guest

    >I am looking to get into bike racing, and also do a lot of long distance biking. I am very lucky to
    >be near some amazing cycle stores in Massachusetts (North of Boston), but don't want to saunter
    >into any of them without any prior knowledge of what to look for.

    A good shop should be able to provide you with far more information that I could. Most important
    thing is finding that shop.

    Two steps:

    1. Check out www.sheldonbrown.com Just about anything you might want to know about bicycles is
    posted there.

    2. Head for Harris Cyclery, Home of Sheldon Brown

    Thats what i would do.

    Jon Isaacs

  5. Pbwalther

    Pbwalther Guest

    Bikes are different from cars. You buy a Honda, it has a honda engine, a honda body, a honda well
    you get the idea.

    With bikes, the manufacturer generally only makes the frame. They buy the components from component
    manufactures like Campy and Shimano. So you can often find say a Bianchi, Trek, and Cannondale with
    extremely similar components. They differ pretty much only at the frame. The frame will probably
    affect the "feel" of the ride to a certain degree but really the 3 bikes will be for practical
    purposes be the same.

    What is more important is to get a bike that suits your riding purposes and riding style and that
    fits you properly. A good bike shop will see that that happens.

    I wouldn't even presume to suggest a given bike. Many companies make fine bikes and which one you
    chose is largely a matter of taste.

    A friend of mine emphasized this by saying "The single most important thing about a bike is
    its color".

    That being said, if you want a performance bike, Shimano 105 is the "sweet spot" of the components.
    You get nearly all of the performance without hitting nosebleed prices. However, a 105 equipped bike
    will set you back over $1000. The next notch down on components is still quite rideable and even the
    notch below that does pretty well.