Advice on Locking Bikes to Hitch Rack

kc

Guest
I have a Softride Access Pull Pin Rack. It's a trailer hitch rack that
holds 4 bicycles (see it at http://www.softride.com). What is the best
way to lock bicycles to this type of rack? It comes with a built in
cable, but it looks as though it could be easily cut.

I know there is no such thing as a totally secure system, but would
like to give myself the best odds possible. Until now, I've only used
the rack to transport the bikes for day trips, so they were never out
of my sight. Now I'm thinking of taking them on some longer trips,
where they will be parked in a motel parking lot overnight or at a
rest stop/restaurant for an hour or so.

Whatever advice/experience you've got to share would be appreciated.

On May 12, 8:47 am, kc <[email protected]> wrote:
> I have a Softride Access Pull Pin Rack. It's a trailer hitch rack that
> holds 4 bicycles (see it athttp://www.softride.com). What is the best
> way to lock bicycles to this type of rack? It comes with a built in
> cable, but it looks as though it could be easily cut.
>
> I know there is no such thing as a totally secure system, but would
> like to give myself the best odds possible. Until now, I've only used
> the rack to transport the bikes for day trips, so they were never out
> of my sight. Now I'm thinking of taking them on some longer trips,
> where they will be parked in a motel parking lot overnight or at a
> rest stop/restaurant for an hour or so.
>
> Whatever advice/experience you've got to share would be appreciated.

I'd have to look at your rack, but here's some ideas. My family and
traveled for several months with bikes on an exterior rack. We used
U-locks (or pick your favorite secure lock) to lock the bike frames
together by pairs, "daisy chain" style (A is locked to B, B is locked
C, C is locked to D, et cetera), then the last one is locked to the
frame. Then we just had cables to run through all the front wheels
and rear wheels (we had the bikes on the carrier alternating front/
back). The cable wasn't as secure, but these were relatively cheap
bikes and we weren't worried about the wheels too much. You might be
able to think of a way to lock frames and wheels together A-B, B-C,
etc.

Anyway, look at your set up and think "daisy chain". Yes, it might
take a few locks but you probably would have one per bike anyway, and
the alterntive is to carry them inside at night.

On May 12, 9:47 am, kc <[email protected]> wrote:
> I have a Softride Access Pull Pin Rack. It's a trailer hitch rack that
> holds 4 bicycles (see it athttp://www.softride.com). What is the best
> way to lock bicycles to this type of rack? It comes with a built in
> cable, but it looks as though it could be easily cut.
>
> I know there is no such thing as a totally secure system, but would
> like to give myself the best odds possible. Until now, I've only used
> the rack to transport the bikes for day trips, so they were never out
> of my sight. Now I'm thinking of taking them on some longer trips,
> where they will be parked in a motel parking lot overnight or at a
> rest stop/restaurant for an hour or so.
>
> Whatever advice/experience you've got to share would be appreciated.

My own view is that I would never think of leaving my bike locked to a
car rack out of sight for a significant period of time and certainly
not overnight. When travleing I bring the bikes into the motel at
night. Bike locks pretty much are designed to slow thieves down and
not prevent them. So, if you are thinking of giving them several hours
to figure out how to defeat your lock I think it's a bid decision.