Advice on chip in carbon frame???

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Bizindy, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Bizindy

Bizindy New Member

Thought I would appeal to the boards wisdom on this...

Can anyone advise how to go about touching up the paint on this practically brand new carbon frame Trek I just got?? IMG_20190917_223347-04.jpeg

The damage is on the chainstay.
    Does it need to be inspected for carbon damage?

I can not hear any differences in sound when the area is tapped with a coin.
    Nor does my finger nail snag on anything in the damaged area?

ANY help would be appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Attached Files:

Tags:

2. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

Clean off the paint scuff mark with car wax or a light rubbing compound. I've touched up carbon frames with either matching spray paint (after masking the area being painted) and with nail polish. Matte clear or matte black in your case, maybe. A drop of white into some black will tint to gray'ish if needed. If paining, really light applications look best. Spray from a distance or use an airbrush if you have access to one.

Keep an eye on the area for a few rides to see if a crack propagates, but it doesn't look too bad in your pic.

3. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if I would risk riding the bike without a professional opinion, because you could make it worse and thus make it more expensive to fix then it would cost now to have it fixed, or worst yet it breaks completely and you fall down go boom.