advice or at least opinion Please

wjs1954

Mar 23, 2014
New here really do not know much about bikes...i have had just a few over the last 44 years. thats how long ago it was when i purchased my first 10sp. And yes i still have no idea what the heck i am doing...

anyway looking buy a bike within the next couple of weeks.

all three are new at different shop in my area

2011 Trek Madone 3.1 1550.00
2013 specialized roubaix Elite comp 1999.00
2013 lappierre xelius 2,599

probably would not go for 2600, unless i sold my other bike....

These are all nifty bikes. Ask the dealer to test ride them, at least the Madone and the Roubaix. If you're looking at the Roubaix, you should also take a look at Trek's Domane.

LaPierre makes wonderful bikes but at this stage the Xelius might be overextending your budget. Don't worry about it.

You'll probably get a few questions thrown back at you. Don't worry. It's just the dealer trying to figure out what is going to make you the happiest.

You do need to ride them that's for sure.

But supposedly the overwhelming reviews for comfort went towards the Specialized because of the Zertz inserts they use in the rear stays and forks, but those inserts also supposedly made the bike a bit less lively feeling but overall it was the most stable; those Zertz inserts dampen vibration and takes the sting out of sharp bumps. The review I read reviewed a whole bunch of bikes but the Lappierre wasn't one of them so who knows how that one would have compared to the Specialized. The Lappierre from what I've read is a true racing bike and if that is the case then the ride will probably be the least comfortable of the group you listed, along with quick handling that a lot people don't realize how much they can get into trouble due to their inability to be able to control such handling abilities.

My opinion is based on being an old man who has had back surgery, thus I would select the Specialized. But you need to ride them and if possible don't just ride it in a parking lot, take it out onto the street and ride those bikes for about 15 min each over the same area and see which one you like. It depends on what you want, a full blooded race bike, or a comfort bike...I didn't bother mentioning the Trek because it's just middle of the road bike that doesn't do the comfort thing like the Specialized and it doesn't do the race thing like the Lappierre, so I wouldn't even bother with the Trek; but again that's just my opinion.