Aero Bar Choices & Opinions?

Aztec

Jul 8, 2003
I'm ready to get some aero bars for a Cervelo Soloist.

Looks like there are a lot of them out there. I'm curious to hear opinions from those who have them. Some have pads that flip up (seems like a good idea), many have handles that do NOT adjust lengthwise (sounds like a bad idea). Hmmm.

Opinions?

TIA.

Originally posted by Aztec
I'm ready to get some aero bars for a Cervelo Soloist.

Looks like there are a lot of them out there. I'm curious to hear opinions from those who have them. Some have pads that flip up (seems like a good idea), many have handles that do NOT adjust lengthwise (sounds like a bad idea). Hmmm.

Opinions?

TIA.

The ones that have adjustable length or flip up are heavier. Plus, the fip up ones, can rattle over rough surface if you're not using it, creating noise that I don't care for. Think about it, the flip up ones and the adjustable length need to have extra materials thus more heavier.

I would recommend the Syntace C2. It's light and comfy. Make a fist and measure from your elbow to the end of your fist to determine your size....ummm I forgot the exact measurement for each. If you're using an oversize handlebar, you may have to purchase extra parts to accomodate it, so check into the weights of all parts.

But don't you end up having to really fiddle with the stem length if the arms aren't adjustable? I worry about that.

syntace. bolt them on and forget about'em.

profile has a gazillion nuts, bolts, pieces and parts...things to come loose and lose. its a trade-off. fixed length/less parts/less weight vs. adjustable length/gazillion parts/more weight.

ITM f1

or

Cinelli Angel.

Complete integrated time trial aero bars are much better. They are $250.

If you want to spent more; HED aero bar. $700 or something

But don't you end up having to really fiddle with the stem length if the arms aren't adjustable? I worry about that.

Actually if you're on a correctly fit bike for TT then you wouldn't really need to mess with the stem length.

Changing the stem length tells me that you're currently too stretched on the bike thus thinking that getting an adjustable bar will move you closer to the handlebar for a more comfortable position.

Actually the profile adjustable like the Airstrykes only adjust the length of the bar NOT the location of the elbow pads. The length is adjustable to make it fit your arm length. The location of the pads on the model such as the Airstrykes will always stay the same, a little bit behind the handlebar. If the bar is too long for you, you'll find that handling of the bike in an aero position a little bit wobbly.

People who are trying to convert their long top tube road bike into a TT bike usually opt for these models only to find out that the top tube is still too long and that they had to move the saddle in closer and also getting a shorter top tube.

I'm not aware of any other models that would move you closer or further away from the handlebar so that you won't have to mess with the stem length. Right now the only way for you to change the effective length from the saddle to the handle bar is moving the saddle in closer or get a shorter stem. Maybe they'll make one that move the pads a little closer.

Originally posted by Rudy
Actually if you're on a correctly fit bike for TT then you wouldn't really need to mess with the stem length.

Changing the stem length tells me that you're currently too stretched on the bike thus thinking that getting an adjustable bar will move you closer to the handlebar for a more comfortable position.

Actually the profile adjustable like the Airstrykes only adjust the length of the bar NOT the location of the elbow pads. The length is adjustable to make it fit your arm length. The location of the pads on the model such as the Airstrykes will always stay the same, a little bit behind the handlebar. If the bar is too long for you, you'll find that handling of the bike in an aero position a little bit wobbly.

People who are trying to convert their long top tube road bike into a TT bike usually opt for these models only to find out that the top tube is still too long and that they had to move the saddle in closer and also getting a shorter top tube.

I'm not aware of any other models that would move you closer or further away from the handlebar so that you won't have to mess with the stem length. Right now the only way for you to change the effective length from the saddle to the handle bar is moving the saddle in closer or get a shorter stem. Maybe they'll make one that move the pads a little closer.

I was thinking mostly in terms of adjusting the aggressiveness of the position. For example, a short TT might allow a farther forward & lower position, which means those bars might now be too short. For a longer TT, or tri, or simply long road ride, a less aggressive position would be a must -- thus saddle back a bit, bars less extended.

But then again, now that I think of it, maybe just raising the bars via shims is enough?

What makes the Airstrykes nice is the flip-up feature allows you to place your hands comfortably on the top of the bar. I haven't found it noisy or aggravating in the least, but that's just my $.02.

Originally posted by Ted B
What makes the Airstrykes nice is the flip-up feature allows you to place your hands comfortably on the top of the bar. I haven't found it noisy or aggravating in the least, but that's just my $.02.

Yes the flip up feature does allow you to have more hand positions. I also own a set of Airstrykes before settling down on a pair of Syntace C2.

The Airstrykes would make noise if you go over uneven surface and your arms are not on the pads. And yes, different level of noise is subjective to individuals.

Originally posted by Rudy
Yes the flip up feature does allow you to have more hand positions. I also own a set of Airstrykes before settling down on a pair of Syntace C2.

The Airstrykes would make noise if you go over uneven surface and your arms are not on the pads. And yes, different level of noise is subjective to individuals.

I'm not fast enough to generate the amount of wind noise needed to drown out those kinds of noises. I think I'll go with the C2 for starters.

I was thinking mostly in terms of adjusting the aggressiveness of the position. For example, a short TT might allow a farther forward & lower position, which means those bars might now be too short. For a longer TT, or tri, or simply long road ride, a less aggressive position would be a must -- thus saddle back a bit, bars less extended.

But then again, now that I think of it, maybe just raising the bars via shims is enough?

Maybe my previous post was not clear. To talk about position on a TT bike ...is...to say the least..... difficult. There are so many variables. Lots of pro riders in the tour usually like to stay as close to their road position as possible.

Again, the adjustable Airstryke model does NOT allow you to shorten or lenthen the effective top tube distance. The pads are on a clip that mount just behind the handlebar. A more comfortable and stronger position usually means that the pads will be closer to your elbow. A more agressive position, which one of my LBS racer uses, rests the arms on the pads further away from your elbows. In this position, you may end up "hovering" lower on your bike.
The airstrykes allow you to adjust the bar to fit you!! ....if you were to purchase the Syntace, you would need to determine which size you require (arm length). With the Airstryke, one size fits all.
You want a bar that fits you such that your hands can comfortable grab the bar at its end and helps to control the handling of the bike while riding. Albeit, time trial doesn't usually require much tricky handling because the courses are usually kinda strainght or long winding sections.

Rudy, your point is/was clear. As the saddle moves fore/aft, you are effectively shortening the top tube, no? If you want to run more/less aggressive positions then, you would need to swap stems out to offset the amount of change in the saddle postion. Unless you go with the method I suggested earlier, where your arms would move fore/aft over the arm pads, and the adjustable handles would still leave the handle in the right spot. Of cours,e though, that wouldn't be ideal.

Rudy, your point is/was clear. As the saddle moves fore/aft, you are effectively shortening the top tube, no? If you want to run more/less aggressive positions then, you would need to swap stems out to offset the amount of change in the saddle postion. Unless you go with the method I suggested earlier, where your arms would move fore/aft over the arm pads, and the adjustable handles would still leave the handle in the right spot. Of cours,e though, that wouldn't be ideal.

Yes, as you move the saddle fore and aft, you're effectively changing the top tube length.

Yes, if you deliberately wanted to change the position where your arms will rest, the length of the bar will also need to be adjusted accordingly. But that's a huge change.

If you're thinking that by moving so much more forward without changing the stem and shortening the effective top tube, which may put you in a more upright position, thus less aerodynamic, then, yes, you're right.

But what about the height of your bars? what about your knees position? too far forward may not be a good thing. there's just so many factors to consider though.

But you know....if you know the exact position that you wanted to be in, you can measure the aerobar and get one that size. The airstryke in this scenario would really help you if you don't already know what you need as far as position is concern. I guess from a pure Time Trial perspective, a little extra weight wouldn't matter.

For me, comfort is power. But if you can accomodate such aggressive position for a long time trial, then more power to ya :)
Like I said, the LBS owner who fitted me, he sets up on a very aggressive position where the arm pads are more toward his wrist........whew. I don't see how he can control his bike from this position and he's a certified fitter ..lol. the dude charged me $80 for a fitting session. :mad:

If you look at Lance, he's not like that. His' back is relatively flat, elbows ALMOST 90 degrees, his back keeps a parallel position and so is his sternum, with the ground and he kicks a**

Aztec, are you just now getting into TT? and trying to find out your fitting position?

Rudy,

I'm just now getting into everything! I took the years between ages 22 and 37 off, and am about 10 months back on the bike. I think TT is the best place for me to start racing (low key).

I've been fitted professionally twice ($100 and $150!!!!!) for the road position. For the aero position, the local Cervelo dealer is a tri shop, so they are working with me on that as I'm getting the Soloist from them. For the record, the position they like for me is WAY too aggressive. I'm going to be messing with it (i.e., nowhere near as low, more like some of the longer distance tri positions). I'm totally with you -- comfort is power. Discomfort = no ride!

Rudy,

I'm just now getting into everything! I took the years between ages 22 and 37 off, and am about 10 months back on the bike. I think TT is the best place for me to start racing (low key).

I've been fitted professionally twice ($100 and $150!!!!!) for the road position. For the aero position, the local Cervelo dealer is a tri shop, so they are working with me on that as I'm getting the Soloist from them. For the record, the position they like for me is WAY too aggressive. I'm going to be messing with it (i.e., nowhere near as low, more like some of the longer distance tri positions). I'm totally with you -- comfort is power. Discomfort = no ride!

LOL I'm like you that I spent tons of money on fitting, equipments etc. ...only to find out that I have the same obsession like that of Eddy Mercx, which is..I literally can't stop fussing with my equipment. Worse of all, I've been so busy with my work and a new business I'm trying to get started that my brand new Kestral Talon is sitting there collecting dust.

I've owned the Profile Century and Airstrykes only to finally settle on the Syntace C2.
Nothing against the profiles, but my syntace is just lighter and more comfy.

The more difficult thing here is to achieve a very comfy position where you can stay hammer comfortably for a long time....i.e. flat back, open chest and sternum, no tightness around the hips etc...
There's a winding paved trail where I live that it's just awesome to be able to do this.