Affordable carbon frames

eselalex

Aug 22, 2005
Hi everyone,
I have decided to upgrage my aluminium road bike frame to full carbon. Now, I cant afford an exotic Kuota or Colnago. So I found a couple of companies that are actually doing afordable carbon frames (Pedal Force, Token and Velo Carbon). The thing is, there is very little information about these "cheap" frames on the net. So I am asking you guys if you have seen or even rided these cheap frames ? What do you think ? Are these worth the money ? Do you know of other companies that sell cheap carbon components ?
Thanks for youre help,
Alex
From Montreal.

eselalex said:
Hi everyone,
I have decided to upgrage my aluminium road bike frame to full carbon. Now, I cant afford an exotic Kuota or Colnago. So I found a couple of companies that are actually doing afordable carbon frames (Pedal Force, Token and Velo Carbon). The thing is, there is very little information about these "cheap" frames on the net. So I am asking you guys if you have seen or even rided these cheap frames ? What do you think ? Are these worth the money ? Do you know of other companies that sell cheap carbon components ?
Thanks for youre help,
Alex
From Montreal.
Good Aluminum will beat cheap carbon. You are in Montreal! Call Marinoni and get a full custom Altec2 frameset.

eselalex said:
Hi everyone,
Thanks for youre help,
Alex
From Montreal.
I now have a Trek 5200T all carbon bike. It is the most uncomfortable bike I have ever had. Over the past fifty years or so I have had one aluminum bike and five steel framed bike this is the first one I have felt that way about. I ride strictly road but the pavement is in poor condition mutch of the way. I will be very interested in your experience, though if you are not a racer and am concerned about weight, I can see no need for you to go carbon.

Why dont you try Titanium frame. I just replace my GIANT TCR-2 carbon with titanium frame made by TST. I am pretty satisfied with this Ti. frame and no more carbon for me.;)

I don't know why you'd want to switch to carbon if you can't afford a good frame. You are much better off on a decent aluminum frame. Better save your money and get a good one. One crash and your frame could be toast. That's the sucky thing about carbon. I'd look into Titanium rather than carbon too. It won't give you the same problems as carbon.

HFC!! What does it take to get a straight answer around here without all the BS?? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: The topic was inexpensive CF, muppets and carpet smokers!!.......Check Supergo CF. Apparently lots of satified users,and no gripes I have heard.

nanook08 said:
You are much better off on a decent aluminum frame. Better save your money and get a good one. One crash and your frame could be toast.
And that wouldn't happen with good aluminum.....Eh?? ...LOL... :rolleyes:

Robert Gardner said:
.........though if you are not a racer and am concerned about weight, I can see no need for you to go carbon.
That's nonsense. CF is where it's at. What's the zip code of that cave you must live in??

First thanks a lot for the good input. I'm not decided and all these advice help.

Second. I hear a lot of coments on "bad" carbon fiber. I agree that small companies may not obtain the same quality of production as bigger ones (TREK for example). On the other hand the ZX3 frame from Pedal Force looks pretty nice. They seem to test the frames with big weight loads (at least it's what they say on the web site). So how to tell if it's a good frame ? What to you mean by "cheap carbon fiber".

Third. I know some of you prefer aluminium, titanium or even steel. I respect that but I want to learn about carbon. So speak carbon please...;)

Thanks again for your posts.
Alex

Ok, here is a considered reply that may help.

Carbon fiber is what you want and cheap is all you can afford.

As far as costs are concerned cheap carbon costs about the same as cheap titanium. That said, it's more important you get a bike that properly fits you, no matter what material you get for the frame.

In my personal opinion nice components and nice wheels make me happy. You need to balance the cost of the frame vs the cost of the bits you have to put on it to make a complete machine such as a bicycle.

I only have experience with a full custom carbon fiber bike so I can't help you with the cheaper ones. That said, I have read up on a lot of companies leveraging the cheap labor in Asia to spec and import carbon fiber tube frames to stick ok parts on them to make a complete bike. This is the range you are looking in. It's not a company reputation you need, you need to know if the frames are well-made. I suggest you google those brands and see what you come up with.

Education, my friend is much better if you look for answers yourself rather than inviting opinionated and ignorant people to voice the opinions they have. I am not saying anyone here has given you ignorant advice. Everyone who speaks here gives their personal opinion, only.

Those are words of wisdom Insight Driver.
I think you are totally right. It's better to have an old and heavy bike that fits you than a super fancy one that will injure you because it's too small.
To avoid this, I was planning on buying the carbon frame on the net, then transfer all the components of my alu bike (basically 2004 105 groupo and Shimano 540 wheels) and finally get fitted and positioned by a professional at my LBS (which offers this service for 80$ if you don't buy the bike there).
So for 1000$-1500$ I could get a nice alu frame for sure. Even an Italian one. Fondriest (for ex.) prices are affordable and the classic geometries are beautiful. But I see all these carbon frames out there and hear that they are so comfortable and light. Now I want one of those. Hey I'm like that... The problem is that those affordable carbon frames on the net don't have dealers where I could see and try the bike. And strangely there is almost no info on them on the net. So I had to turn to this forum to see if someone had any experience with them.
Anyways, thanks for the advice. I'll try to find more info elsewhere. If I find any, I'll pass it by here. If not, well... I'll have to buy that Kuota Ksano frame at my LBS !!!;)
Just joking...
Alex

eselalex said:
Hi everyone,
Thanks for youre help,
Alex
From Montreal.
check out Leopard cycles. they have a crash replacement program

JS

I just checked Leopard. Beautiful but not affordable.
Is it impossible to get a nicely finished carbon frame for under 1500$ ?
Alex

jrstevens said:
check out Leopard cycles. they have a crash replacement program
JS

If you're not racing in UCI sanctioned events, you can do what I did - get on ebay and pick up a Trek Y-Foil frameset. (that's the funky looking bike in my avatar)

A clean, unscratched Foil frameset will set you back $500-$600, rides very smooth, handles tight. It's fairly cheap now because the UCI banned beam bikes back in 2000. I belive it is still legal in USCF right now, though I believe they will disallow beam bikes in 2006.

I've been riding mine for three years, and have no complaints at all. My electric gold Foil still draws a crowd at group rides. Yahoo hosts a Y-Foil discussion group if you want to know more.

eselalex said:
I just checked Leopard. Beautiful but not affordable.
Is it impossible to get a nicely finished carbon frame for under 1500$ ?
Alex
Yes, a stock-geometry CF frame from our local builder, SANO is priced at $1500 including the Ouzo Pro fork, Megatech Ti BB, and headset. Check it out at:

http://www.sanobike.com/pro stock road A6.htm

Note, the fancy "team" paint shown is extra. Standard price includes one color of your choice, plus painted on SANO on downtube, plus your name on TT. I have one of their bikes, but don't get any referral kickbacks!

dhk said:
Yes, a stock-geometry CF frame from our local builder, SANO is priced at $1500 including the Ouzo Pro fork, Megatech Ti BB, and headset. Check it out at:

http://www.sanobike.com/pro stock road A6.htm

Note, the fancy "team" paint shown is extra. Standard price includes one color of your choice, plus painted on SANO on downtube, plus your name on TT. I have one of their bikes, but don't get any referral kickbacks!
Wow, I had no idea there was a custom frame builder right here in the Rocket City.

Hey, dhk, I just started riding a road bike for the first time a month ago. Yesterday I tackled Keel Mountain. Made it past the "Got Epo?" grafitti near the top but couldn't quite make it. I was too exhausted to be ******. I pedaled until I fell over. The ride down was a bit scary.

Calfee Luna Pro is a great option $1495 without fork. Made in the US with a great warranty and excellent construction.

The made in Asia frames are very dependent on what the buyer specs and how well they police quality control. The best is world class and the worst is junk and they can come out of the same factory.