Against the Wind

RapDaddyo said:
I'm curious about something else. You probably didn't make note of it and I didn't suggest that you make note of it, but while it's still relatively fresh in your mind, was there a distinct difference in your RPE and, if so, how would you rate each cadence on the usual RPE scale?
That was a little bit surprising to me also. I did notice a slightly higher RPE on the highest cadence interval than the other two, even though 260w for 4 minutes isn't a real strenuous effort. I don't remember much difference between the middle and lower cadence intervals, other than the lowest one obviously had a much higher muscle tension, like climbing. It didn't seem any harder to me, though, just needing a slow, deep breathing rhythm and a little more concentration to pedal smooth circles because of the high chain tension.

The high cadence interval seemed a little more vigorous right from the start, with a more rapid breathing rate and a little more effort to keep the pedal cadence from slowing.

frenchyge said:
I don't remember much difference between the middle and lower cadence intervals, other than the lowest one obviously had a much higher muscle tension, like climbing. It didn't seem any harder to me, though, just needing a slow, deep breathing rhythm and a little more concentration to pedal smooth circles because of the high chain tension.
But, importantly, the lower cadence didn't seem easier in spite of having the lowest HR of the set.

I just bought an inexpensive heart rate monitor and it made all the difference on windy days. The thing with wind is that slight shifts in speed and direction can made a big difference in how much effort is required to maintain a given speed.

A HRM allows me to maintain a constant effort on a given ride. Sure, 165 bpm might produce different wattages on different days, but at least I know that when I ride into the wind and ride home with the wind, I'm producing the same effort each way.

You could argue that an HRM is a "poor mans's power meter." But for me it works pretty well.

I started this thread in hopes of learning ways to combat the mental effects of the wind and have been very pleased with the direction it has taken.
My agreements with using a heartrate monitor extend to running. No powermeter available there! While I have never used a powermeter (although I would like to try the experince myself) and don't presume to know exactly how it would benefit me, I do know how my HRM works and benefits my workouts. As in running, if I need to step it up I pick up the pace, increase the stride, etc. I do the same thing on the bike. While the intervals may not be ideal for serious training, it works very well for me and my needs. Technique has benefiited me more than any piece of equipment (and if I took my own advice more seriously I would be a much better cyclist!). Like anything else I believe that you need to understand what it is you are trying to accomplish and apply the necessary methods and tools to reach that end.