Alternate means of waterproofing carbon seat post interface, revisited

Brian Ray

Guest
My main ride has a carbon fiber sleeve in the seat tube, at the clamping
area. The seat post itself is aluminum, but with a CF sleeve, grease isn't
required or recommended.

I'm trying to keep water from entering the frame at that interface, and will
install a fender. But I thought there was a post here revealing some
alternative to grease in waterproofing frames and CF seat posts--some sort
of tape? Searched via Google Group but came up snake eyes. Maybe my mind is
playing tricks on me.

The wax ring used for installing a toilet makes me consider a bit of beeswax
spread across the notch at the seat clamp, plus a little around the top of
the seat tube ...

Thanks,

Brian Ray

You have to remove the saddle or seatpost to install it, but a 2" section of
inner tube stretched over the interface works reasonably well.

Rick

"Brian Ray" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My main ride has a carbon fiber sleeve in the seat tube, at the clamping
> area. The seat post itself is aluminum, but with a CF sleeve, grease isn't
> required or recommended.
>
> I'm trying to keep water from entering the frame at that interface, and

will
> install a fender. But I thought there was a post here revealing some
> alternative to grease in waterproofing frames and CF seat posts--some sort
> of tape? Searched via Google Group but came up snake eyes. Maybe my mind

is
> playing tricks on me.
>
> The wax ring used for installing a toilet makes me consider a bit of

beeswax
> spread across the notch at the seat clamp, plus a little around the top of
> the seat tube ...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brian Ray

"Brian Ray" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> My main ride has a carbon fiber sleeve in the seat tube, at the clamping
> area. The seat post itself is aluminum, but with a CF sleeve, grease isn't
> required or recommended.
>
> I'm trying to keep water from entering the frame at that interface, and will
> install a fender. But I thought there was a post here revealing some
> alternative to grease in waterproofing frames and CF seat posts--some sort
> of tape? Searched via Google Group but came up snake eyes. Maybe my mind is
> playing tricks on me.
>
> The wax ring used for installing a toilet makes me consider a bit of beeswax
> spread across the notch at the seat clamp, plus a little around the top of
> the seat tube ...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brian Ray

Permatex Hylomar is what yer lookin for. Recommended by Trek.
http://www.permatex.com/heavy_duty/Differentials.asp?automotive=yes&f_call=get_item&item_no=25249