Am I missing the RARE review?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Breezed

Due to a visit from my good friends Sam and Ella just after eating some apparently not very well
prepared chicken friday night, I missed the RARE ride this last saturday. I've been looking for ride
reports since, but haven't noticed any. Has my server been hiding them from me again or was the ride
that uneventful?

"breezed" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Due to a visit from my good friends Sam and Ella just after eating some apparently not very
> well prepared chicken friday night, I missed the RARE ride this last saturday. I've been
> looking for ride reports since, but haven't noticed any.
Has my server been hiding them from me
> again or was the ride that uneventful?

Breezed; yes and no. Friday afternoon and evening was great. Several of us managed a nice 20 miler
near the Hamlin Beach area. Returning at 6:30 we retrieved a 7 pound pork roast basted with DinoSaur
bar-b-que sauce that Gary Updyke had left on the Weber grill before we left for the ride. That
turned out to be the closest most of us got to the Dinosaur for the whole weekend. The usual
campfire gathering finally ended around midnight with a Canadian firedance, and betime stories as
told by Rich Pinto. Around 2 am it started to rain and continued, pretty much I'm told, till around
3 PM. Mike, Dave, and I cooked breakfast under an awning first thing in the morning and around 7:45
Mike offically called the ride off, when those straggling in, that had actually slept in a real bed
and had actually watched the weather channel aprised us of the "Rain Clouds of Doom". Mike went out
to the parking lot with the bad news. Frank Haldeberg and his buddy Bob decided to go anyway. They
are my hero's (have I mentioned you don't have to be smart to be my hero's). Huddled under the
awning the rest of us looked for better weather somewhere on the east coast. Milan Dempko called
home in St. Catherines, Ont. His wife says "It's good weather here eh". We were desperate enough to
ride in another country We gathered up a convoy of Buffalo, Rochester, Ontario and other riders and
headed to Lewiston to the Border crossing. 80 miles and an hour and a half later we all gathered at
Brock Monument, unloaded our bikes and headed up to Niagra on the lake, IN THE RAIN. We road to
downtown NOTL and had a great lunch at the Epicurian, and I'll be damned, it stopped raining about 5
minutes before we left. We rode back to the Brock Monument on the wonderful Niagra trail and after a
potty stop rode down to the Falls. The weather was now very nice. Around 4 pm we returned to the
Monument and we bid farewell to the Canadians and the Buffalonians (that is a word eh ?) and the
rest of us convoyed back to Hamlin Beach. Arriving back at 6:30 we were greeted by Mark Colliton,
Rich Pinto and some of the folks that had stayed behind. There were lots more laughs and catching up
on the days activities. Mike cooked up a fine impromtu dinner (heavy on the meat group) while the
rest of us hoovered like a pack of dogs on road kill. Come to think of it, maybe it was road kill. I
left around evening campfire time, for the long journey home. Mike Brisson,and Dave Larson did a
fine job as leaders and hosts. The other cast of characters were totally entertaining. It was my
pleasure to have spent time with them. As I write this on Wednsday after a long hard day at work,
I'm smiling a big broad smile. Does that give you an idea of what you missed? Denny in Sayre, PA
"Bent but not broken"

P.S. give Sam and Ella my reguards. I don't really miss them, but I do encounter them from
time to time.

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 13:18:21 -0400 (EDT), breezed wrote:

> Due to a visit from my good friends Sam and Ella just after eating some apparently not very well
> prepared chicken friday night, I missed the RARE ride this last saturday. I've been looking for
> ride reports since, but haven't noticed any. Has my server been hiding them from me again or was
> the ride that uneventful?
>
Fortunately, two of us managed to keep the annual RARE event alive. Frank and I (Bob Stan) were the
only two who made the ride in the rain from the Camp Ground and back. Other than a nasty fall on a
metal bridge that claimed us both, the ride wasn't too bad in the rain. In fact, the last 20 miles
or so were actually rainless!!

Maybe next year will be nicer so even the wimps can ride :)

Wimp here, looking forward to next year! Mike Brisson

"Bob Stan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 13:18:21 -0400 (EDT), breezed wrote:
>
> > Due to a visit from my good friends Sam and Ella just after eating some apparently not very
> > well prepared chicken friday night, I missed the RARE ride this last saturday. I've been
> > looking for ride reports since, but haven't noticed any. Has my server been hiding them from
> > me again or was the ride that uneventful?
> >
> Fortunately, two of us managed to keep the annual RARE event alive. Frank and I (Bob Stan) were
> the only two who made the ride in the rain from the Camp Ground and back. Other than a nasty fall
> on a metal bridge that
claimed
> us both, the ride wasn't too bad in the rain. In fact, the last 20 miles
or
> so were actually rainless!!
>
> Maybe next year will be nicer so even the wimps can ride :)

Status
Not open for further replies.