(Another) Beginner Who Needs Buying Advice

MG2010

Dec 16, 2009
Hi. I am likely the thousandth new cyclist to ask for advice, but hopefully someone out there will be kind enough to oblige me and make a good suggestion or two. Thanks for the help (and sorry for using the forum for my own personal needs).

OK, so here's a brief description of what I'm looking for. I will use the bike to commute around 18 miles round-trip daily, but sometimes I will make long weekend rides with friends. So I am thinking that a road or urban (if there's even a difference) bike will be best. Upright riding position is important - I want to be comfortable, and I am not necessarily interested in speed. The roads where I live are not ideal for cycling, so the bike should be tough/durable. As a true beginner, I definitely want something low maintenance that will not require much upkeep - I wouldn't know where to start if something were to go wrong with the bike. My budget is ~$1200, so my options may be somewhat limited.

So far, I've looked at Trek and Cannondale online and at local bike shops. The most appealing I've seen so far is the Trek Valencia. Is this model anywhere near what I need? There are many other brands out there that I haven't explored yet, so any and all advice is most appreciated. Thanks for the help. I've been saving for a few months, so this will be an important investment

I am personally not familiar with the Trek Valencia but the best advice I ever got when buying my first road bike was go out and ride them. If you have several local shops go to each one and explain to them what you are looking for. Try out a few different bikes, some shops even let you have extended test rides where you can ride it for a few days. Once you have gone to a few shops and done a few test rides you should have 1-2 bikes that speak to you. These become the ones on your short list.

I have found that shopping for a bike is like shopping for a car, you need to take it out for a spin, get a feel for who you are buying it from, etc.

Hope this helps.

MG2010 said:
Hi. I am likely the thousandth new cyclist to ask for advice, but hopefully someone out there will be kind enough to oblige me and make a good suggestion or two. Thanks for the help (and sorry for using the forum for my own personal needs).

OK, so here's a brief description of what I'm looking for. I will use the bike to commute around 18 miles round-trip daily, but sometimes I will make long weekend rides with friends. So I am thinking that a road or urban (if there's even a difference) bike will be best. Upright riding position is important - I want to be comfortable, and I am not necessarily interested in speed. The roads where I live are not ideal for cycling, so the bike should be tough/durable. As a true beginner, I definitely want something low maintenance that will not require much upkeep - I wouldn't know where to start if something were to go wrong with the bike. My budget is ~$1200, so my options may be somewhat limited.

So far, I've looked at Trek and Cannondale online and at local bike shops. The most appealing I've seen so far is the Trek Valencia. Is this model anywhere near what I need? There are many other brands out there that I haven't explored yet, so any and all advice is most appreciated. Thanks for the help. I've been saving for a few months, so this will be an important investment

MG2010 said:
The most appealing I've seen so far is the Trek Valencia.
The Valencia is a neat bike. It's basically a 7.3 FX upgraded with an "urban" handlebar (whatever that is) and mechanical disc brakes. FXs are available at a variety of equipment and price levels, and each one is a fun, rugged, and practical ride. Other manufacturers have comparable models, but the FX and Specialized Sirrus lines seem to get the most enthusiastic feedback.

If you can go without disc brakes, check out the 7.3 FX for about $110 less. Or, for $170 more, there's the 7.5 FX with a carbon fork and 9-speed cassette. But, yeah, if the equipment is right for you, the Valencia is an excellent choice.

hi there im intrested to in the trek valencia my old raleigh is tired after25 years and its time to move on has anybody got a valencia? if so what do you think of the bike :eek: