another first bike beginner post!

timesofgrace

Mar 18, 2011
So i've done some research and i know what size bike i need and kind of bike i want and i'm going to buy used and have read most of the other posts i saw on this subject, but there were some things i didn't see in other posts.

first; are there any brands i should stay away from? some of the brands i've seen in my price range were peugeot, atala, and trek.. are there any brands i should seek out?

second; after i've picked one out and go to meet the seller, what are some things i should look for? i don't want to be one of those tire kickers walking around the used lot, you know? do frames stress in certain spots? how do i tell if tires are good or a ride away from being replaced? should i just hop on and take it for a spin to see how it feels?

it's been about 16 years since i've been on a bicycle. i'm anxious to return but don't want to jump into it and buy a bike that only some other sucker will buy from me after i put it back on craigslist..

thanks a lot for your help :)

-chris

I would stay away from the Peugeot because the BB may have the old obsolete French threads which means that it would be difficult to replace the BB if you needed to. I also would not pick up a bike that is an 8-speed or less due to the difficulty in finding replacement drivetrain parts. Make sure that you test ride the bike and test it in each gear. If the bike skips in any gear, have the seller drop the price by $30 - $40 because you are going to need to replace the cassette. If it skips in every gear, have him drop the price another $30 because you will need to replace the chain. Look at the chainring teeth and try to gage the amount of wear on them. If they are noticeably worn, you are looking at approximately $30 for the small chainring and anywhere from $90 - $200 for the large chainring depending upon the make and model of the crankset.

If you are looking at a steel or aluminum bike, the first thing that you want to look at are the condition of all of the welds and the tubes in general. You are looking for cracks in the paint as that is how a crack in the metal first shows up. There will most certainly be scrapes and chips in the paint, but if there is a clearly discernible crack, forget about that bike. Carefully check the underside of the down tube right behind the head tube for ripples or any kind of deformity. This is the weak point of a bicycle and a deformity means that the bike has been in a serious accident.

One thing that you want to do is have the owner pull the seat post out of the seat tube and look down into the seat post with a flashlight looking for corrosion. If you see any rust on a steel bike or any white powdery residue on an aluminum bike, reject it because of corrosion.

These are the main points. Good luck.

If you see something you like, just post the link to it on here...

I don't know about Peugeot frames in the US but the ones sold in England from the early 80's onwards had English threads in the BB shell. Either way it doesn't really matter as Phil Wood sells bottom brackets in pretty much every concivable threading that's been put in a bike - even old Chater Lea and silly Raleigh threads - and a Phil Wood unit would likely outlast whatever bike you put it in.

kdelong, thanks a lot. that is exactly the kind of information i was looking for, i'm sure it'll save me a lot of heart ache later on. i also found out my uncle has 3 or 4 bikes in his garage he hasn't used since 1978 that i can have so it'll be interesting to see what kind of shape they're in - at least they're free if nothing else.

chris.

Originally Posted by timesofgrace .

kdelong, thanks a lot. that is exactly the kind of information i was looking for, i'm sure it'll save me a lot of heart ache later on. i also found out my uncle has 3 or 4 bikes in his garage he hasn't used since 1978 that i can have so it'll be interesting to see what kind of shape they're in - at least they're free if nothing else.

chris.

Your Uncles bikes may be good enough for you to get started on. This way here you can sharpen your riding skills and be confident in your riding ability when you go for a test ride.