Another new cycling/walking bridge open

MikeC

Guest
The first of the new bridges on the Wicken Vision Spine route linking
Cambridge and Wicken
is now open for foot, cycling and horse-riding traffic. Photos and
location are on Cambridge
Cycling Campaign's website at

<http://www.camcycle.org.uk/map/location/13985/>
<http://www.camcycle.org.uk/map/location/13986/>
<http://www.camcycle.org.uk/map/location/13987/>

The final surface on the connecting paths on either side still has to
be laid, so there may
be a short interruption in passge soon.

Mike

Excellent, well done to all concerned.

In article
<cc630c6e-d108-4a3c-8f0a-14cf35fb5181@m73g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,

Jonathan Schneider wrote:

> I've just been out to give the new Cambridge "Tesco" bridge a go
> having put up with months of obstruction on the road. Given it was
> prefabricated I have no idea how it took a year to do.
>
> I wouldn't use it unless I was going to Tesco because Newmarket Road
> is horrible. Ignoring the bad location it's not a bad bit of
> construction. However if I lived next to it I'd be upset at the amount
> of river view it obstructs.

I also couldn't understand why it needed two spans to segregate cycle
and pedestrians over the river itself, whilst the access ramps and
approach paths weren't segregated (except for a white line).

--
Alan

--
SPAM BLOCK IN USE!
Replace 'deadspam.com' with penguinclub.org.uk to reply in email

On Jun 9, 2:23 pm, "Alan" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Jonathan Schneider wrote:
> > I've just been out to give the new Cambridge "Tesco" bridge a go
> > having put up with months of obstruction on the road. Given it was
> > prefabricated I have no idea how it took a year to do.

> > I wouldn't use it unless I was going to Tesco because Newmarket Road
> > is horrible. Ignoring the bad location it's not a bad bit of
> > construction. However if I lived next to it I'd be upset at the amount
> > of river view it obstructs.

> I also couldn't understand why it needed two spans to segregate cycle
> and pedestrians over the river itself, whilst the access ramps and
> approach paths weren't segregated (except for a white line).
>
> --
> Alan
>
> --
> SPAM BLOCK IN USE!
> Replace 'deadspam.com' with penguinclub.org.uk to reply in email

You two are talking about a different cycle bridge.
tim

Tim B wrote:

> On Jun 9, 2:23 pm, "Alan" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Jonathan Schneider wrote:
> > > I've just been out to give the new Cambridge "Tesco" bridge a go
> > > having put up with months of obstruction on the road. Given it was
> > > prefabricated I have no idea how it took a year to do.

> > > I wouldn't use it unless I was going to Tesco because Newmarket
> > > Road is horrible. Ignoring the bad location it's not a bad bit of
> > > construction. However if I lived next to it I'd be upset at the
> > > amount of river view it obstructs.

> > I also couldn't understand why it needed two spans to segregate
> > cycle and pedestrians over the river itself, whilst the access
> > ramps and approach paths weren't segregated (except for a white
> > line).
> >
> > --
> > Alan
> >
> > --
> > SPAM BLOCK IN USE!
> > Replace 'deadspam.com' with penguinclub.org.uk to reply in email

> You two are talking about a different cycle bridge.
> tim

Damn - A bridge too far?

--
Alan

--

Tim B <[email protected]> writes:

> On Jun 9, 2:23 pm, "Alan" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Jonathan Schneider wrote:
>> > I've just been out to give the new Cambridge "Tesco" bridge a go

>> I also couldn't understand why it needed two spans to segregate cycle
>> and pedestrians over the river itself, whilst the access ramps and
>> approach paths weren't segregated (except for a white line).
>>
>> --
>> Alan

> You two are talking about a different cycle bridge.
> tim

Oh no he's not. The bit over the river is segregated.

Jon

On Jun 9, 3:25 pm, Jonathan Schneider <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Tim B <[email protected]> writes:

> >> I also couldn't understand why it needed two spans to segregate cycle
> >> and pedestrians over the river itself, whilst the access ramps and
> >> approach paths weren't segregated (except for a white line).

> >> --
> >> Alan

> > You two are talking about a different cycle bridge.
> > tim

> Oh no he's not. The bit over the river is segregated.
>
> Jon

Silly boy. Look at the original post and photos again. NOT the Tesco
bridge.
Tim

In message <[email protected]>
Tim B <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Jun 9, 3:25 pm, Jonathan Schneider <[email protected]>
> wrote:
> > Tim B <[email protected]> writes:

[snip]
> > > You two are talking about a different cycle bridge.
> > > tim

> > Oh no he's not. The bit over the river is segregated.
> >
> > Jon

> Silly boy. Look at the original post and photos again. NOT the Tesco
> bridge.
> Tim

It's quite understandable, you hang around for ages waiting for a cycle
bridge to arrive, and then two come along at the same time!

There might of course be a fishy explanation.

;-)

Mike
--
o/ \\ // |\ ,_ o Mike Clark
<\__,\\ // __o | \ / /\, "A mountain climbing, cycling, skiing,

On Jun 9, 5:18 pm, Mike Clark <[email protected]> wrote:
> In message <[email protected]>
> Tim B <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On Jun 9, 3:25 pm, Jonathan Schneider <[email protected]>
> > wrote:
> > > Tim B <[email protected]> writes:

> [snip]

> > > Oh no he's not. The bit over the river is segregated.

> > > Jon

> > Silly boy. Look at the original post and photos again. NOT the Tesco
> > bridge.
> > Tim

> It's quite understandable, you hang around for ages waiting for a cycle
> bridge to arrive, and then two come along at the same time!
>
> There might of course be a fishy explanation.
>
> ;-)
>
> Mike
> --
> o/ \\ // |\ ,_ o Mike Clark
> <\__,\\ // __o | \ / /\, "A mountain climbing, cycling, skiing,
> "> || _`\<,_ |__\ \> | caving, antibody engineer and
> ` || (_)/ (_) | \corn computer user"

No point rowing about it.

;-)

Tim