Another one

cfsmtb

New Member
Apr 11, 2003
4,963
New commuter steed - the Kitten of Doom!

http://cfsmtb.net/2007/11/09/kitten-of-doom/

She's red and black with sexxxyyyy Velocity Deep V's and lots of other tasty bits. Moderately amusing how the low gearing issues sorted themselves after adjusting the seatpost about 2' upwards...

Also has anyone here used a Alfine 8-speed hub? I'm considering changing the rear sprocket from 20T to 18T, ok there's not much in it but I'll hopefully get around the issue with a front 44T with the chain line slightly out of whack, as the clearance btw the chain stay is pretty tight. Actually there's not much more than a nats chaff.

So far a damn lovely ride but will probably take a 100k's or so to run the hub in nicely.

G-S said:
Now that's a yummy commuter! :)

No rack though I notice... I couldn't survive without panniers for the
work clothes.

Early days yet, haven't transferred the AirZound, fore and aft pannier racks, wicker baskets ...

"cfsmtb" wrote:

> G-S Wrote:
>>

>> Now that's a yummy commuter! :)
>>
>> No rack though I notice... I couldn't survive without panniers for the
>> work clothes.

> Early days yet, haven't transferred the AirZound, fore and aft pannier
> racks, wicker baskets ...

Very cool bike, well finished off in the wicked red.

I've done similar things to a Shogun Metro SE hybrid frame

http://sports.webshots.com/photo/2107625630074746151yPLouZ

All LX derailleurs and hubs, Avid brakes, Truvativ Fire X cranks, and that
loverly Brooks B66. This bike also has no rack, but the long term plan is to
set it up with an Xtracycle. Oh and I have a pair of Time Z pedals so I will
be able to use my Shimano shoes or regular hoofs, as I see fit.

On Nov 12, 9:18 pm, cfsmtb <cfsmtb.2zx...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> New commuter steed - the Kitten of Doom!
>
> http://cfsmtb.net/2007/11/09/kitten-of-doom/

Nice. Nice bars too.

> Also has anyone here used a Alfine 8-speed hub? I'm considering
> changing the rear sprocket from 20T to 18T, ok there's not much in it
> but I'll hopefully get around the issue with a front 44T with the chain
> line slightly out of whack, as the clearance btw the chain stay is
> pretty tight. Actually there's not much more than a nats chaff.

I hope to be toting a Nexus Inter8 (red band) once the useless LBS
gets me the grip shifter I want. If you'd like to try an 18T sprocket
I've got a spare from some ancient Shimano 3 speed hubs which I sadly
broke the pawls in (they got me hooked on planetary gears though!)
I'm led to believe that they fit the new hubs and from my cursory
examination while fitting the sprocket to the Nexus (I thought the LBS
would have done that as part of building the wheel) I'm inclined to
think they will.

I hope to be toting a Nexus Inter8 (red band) once the useless LBS
gets me the grip shifter I want. If you'd like to try an 18T sprocket
I've got a spare from some ancient Shimano 3 speed hubs which I sadly
broke the pawls in (they got me hooked on planetary gears though!)
I'm led to believe that they fit the new hubs and from my cursory
examination while fitting the sprocket to the Nexus (I thought the LBS
would have done that as part of building the wheel) I'm inclined to
think they will.

If I can't source anything we'll be in contact. Have a gander here:

http://www.cfsmtb.net/RearWheel1.jpg
http://www.cfsmtb.net/RearWheel2.jpg

On Nov 13, 1:49 pm, cfsmtb <cfsmtb.2zy...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> [email protected] Wrote:
>

> > I hope to be toting a Nexus Inter8 (red band) once the useless LBS
> > gets me the grip shifter I want. If you'd like to try an 18T sprocket
> > I've got a spare from some ancient Shimano 3 speed hubs which I sadly
> > broke the pawls in (they got me hooked on planetary gears though!)
> > I'm led to believe that they fit the new hubs and from my cursory
> > examination while fitting the sprocket to the Nexus (I thought the LBS
> > would have done that as part of building the wheel) I'm inclined to
> > think they will.

> If I can't source anything we'll be in contact. Have a gander here:
>
> http://www.cfsmtb.net/RearWheel1.jpghttp://www.cfsmtb.net/RearWheel2.jpg
>
> --
> cfsmtb

Hmmm, I'd assumed they were the same, but my Nexus doesn't have that
disc on the outside of the sprocket. Then again, it might be nothing,
the cassette joint looks the same. Sheldon says the sprockets are the
same
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/nexus-mech.html
though I couldn't find any pictures.

Worst case scenario I can take a photo of the old 18T sprocket and
supply you a few measurements. I'd try it on my hub but the snap ring
on the new hub was a right ******* to get on, it's quite easy on the
old 3 speed hubs though. I'm hedging my bets since I went with a 38T
front sprocket, if it turns out to be too low (possible, but not
probable considering the hills) I figure I can drop two teeth on the
rear (I've got two 18T sprockets spare) :)

"cfsmtb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> New commuter steed - the Kitten of Doom!
>
> http://cfsmtb.net/2007/11/09/kitten-of-doom/

Absolutely gorgeous! You're giving me lots of evil ideas... I had no idea
you could get 26' Deep Vs.
Noticed your comment about possibly going for horizontal dropouts. I believe
you'll run into hassles with the disks that way. A neat way around it (if
you didn't know already) is to fit an eccentric bottom bracket -
http://tinyurl.com/27lozh or one of these kind of things -
http://www.gunnarbikes.com/board/gunnargallery/1150816502.jpg.

--
www.ozcableguy.com
www.oztechnologies.com

"OzCableguy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "cfsmtb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> New commuter steed - the Kitten of Doom!
>>
>> http://cfsmtb.net/2007/11/09/kitten-of-doom/
>>

> Absolutely gorgeous! You're giving me lots of evil ideas... I had no idea
> you could get 26' Deep Vs.
> Noticed your comment about possibly going for horizontal dropouts. I
> believe you'll run into hassles with the disks that way. A neat way around
> it (if you didn't know already) is to fit an eccentric bottom bracket -
> http://tinyurl.com/27lozh or one of these kind of things -
> http://www.gunnarbikes.com/board/gunnargallery/1150816502.jpg.

There is a guy on ebay in melbourne practically giving red anodised Deep V
rims at $45 a pair!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI...m=140130683951&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=004

Gags

On Nov 13, 11:32 pm, "Gags" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "OzCableguy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>

> > "cfsmtb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...

> >> New commuter steed - the Kitten of Doom!

> >>http://cfsmtb.net/2007/11/09/kitten-of-doom/

> > Absolutely gorgeous! You're giving me lots of evil ideas... I had no idea
> > you could get 26' Deep Vs.
> > Noticed your comment about possibly going for horizontal dropouts. I
> > believe you'll run into hassles with the disks that way. A neat way around
> > it (if you didn't know already) is to fit an eccentric bottom bracket -
> >http://tinyurl.com/27lozhor one of these kind of things -
> >http://www.gunnarbikes.com/board/gunnargallery/1150816502.jpg.

> There is a guy on ebay in melbourne practically giving red anodised Deep V
> rims at $45 a pair!!!
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=1401306839...
>
> Gags

That's almost worth buying a red frame to match! Normal price $220.

cfsmtb said:
New commuter steed - the Kitten of Doom!

http://cfsmtb.net/2007/11/09/kitten-of-doom/

She's red and black with sexxxyyyy Velocity Deep V's and lots of other tasty bits. Moderately amusing how the low gearing issues sorted themselves after adjusting the seatpost about 2' upwards...

Also has anyone here used a Alfine 8-speed hub? I'm considering changing the rear sprocket from 20T to 18T, ok there's not much in it but I'll hopefully get around the issue with a front 44T with the chain line slightly out of whack, as the clearance btw the chain stay is pretty tight. Actually there's not much more than a nats chaff.

So far a damn lovely ride but will probably take a 100k's or so to run the hub in nicely.

Oooooh Ahhhhhhh.

That's nice.

SteveA