Any experiences with Wheelies?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Text.News.Ntlwo, Aug 26, 2003.

  1. The company that is. I recently had a bike stolen from my garage and was put in touch with
    Wheelies Direct by my insurance company to provide a replacement. I decided that this would be a
    good time to upgrade so decided to pay the difference and opt for better spec'd and pricier bike
    than my original.

    I wanted a Specialized Sirrus Sport/Expert but was persuaded due to lack of availability of '03
    models to go for a Dawes Discovery 601 which, supposedly, they (or Dawes) had in stock and could
    deliver immediately. That was two weeks ago and I've just been told that I will have to wait a
    further two weeks if not longer. The only reason I went for the Dawes in the first place was that I
    could get it straight away but now it looks like when I do eventually receive it, the 2004 range of
    bikes from Specialized and possibly Dawes themselves will be out and I could have got the bike I
    originally hoped for not to mention the fact I will have paid full price for a 2003 model.

    Has anyone else had similar experiences with this company?

    --
    Neil M

    Tags:

  2. "text.news.ntlworld.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > I wanted a Specialized Sirrus Sport/Expert but was persuaded due to lack
    of
    > availability of '03 models to go for a Dawes Discovery 601 which, supposedly, they (or Dawes) had
    > in stock and could deliver immediately.
    That
    > was two weeks ago and I've just been told that I will have to wait a
    further
    > two weeks if not longer. The only reason I went for the Dawes in the first place was that I could
    > get it straight away but now it looks like when I
    do
    > eventually receive it, the 2004 range of bikes from Specialized and
    possibly
    > Dawes themselves will be out and I could have got the bike I originally hoped for not to mention
    > the fact I will have paid full price for a 2003 model.
    >
    > Has anyone else had similar experiences with this company?

    No experience but have you tried talking to them about cancelling your order because of misleading
    sales information?

    Always worth a try before complaining to everyone else.

    Rich

  3. Jim Price

    Jim Price Guest

    text.news.ntlworld.com wrote:
    > Has anyone else had similar experiences with this company?

    Someone just down the road from me had an insurance replacement bicycle from a company which could
    have been this one. There were two problems - the first was the bicycle was delivered with a fault,
    which was probably caused during shipping. The fault was a bent derailleur hanger, probably caused
    by a knock of some kind, which had also left a mark on the rear derailleur. The new owner sent it
    back (a second time, IIRC) after the derailleur crashed into the rear wheel, causing mucho damage.
    Having looked at it before she sent it back (the first time), I advised her to also tell them that
    the likely cause of the problem was the derailleur hanger, and that it should be replaced. Well,
    what they actually did was rebuild her rear wheel using a new rim and spokes, but neither rim nor
    spokes matched the front wheel. The bike now has a front wheel with black spokes and silver rim and
    rear wheel with silver spokes and black rim. She didn't notice that, and didn't care when I pointed
    it out, so that was sort of OK. What they didn't do, however, was replace the bent derailleur
    hanger. Having lost all confidence in the companies ability to listen to her, she asked me to get a
    replacement derailleur hanger and she is going to send the old one back to the insurance company
    with a letter explaining what happened. I was very unimpressed with the service from this company,
    but I am not sure if it was this one. It did have "wheelie" in the name, I think, and it was a
    company which her insurance company wanted her to use. Anyway, it then only took a few months to get
    the derailleur hanger through a veritable hail of excuses, delays, and being given incorrect advice
    and hangers. Tomorrow, she's getting her bike back!

    I would think that if your bike arrives in one piece, it will be fine, but if its not perfect,
    you may suffer the same fate. Good luck in getting it sized right, if its not a bike you are
    already familiar with. If I were you, I would get to a dealer and try out whatever it is you are
    getting if it isn't the exact same model and year of the bike you are replaceing, but you
    probably already did that.

    --
    Jim Price

    http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com

  4. Toby Barrett

    Toby Barrett Guest

    "text.news.ntlworld.com" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > The company that is. I recently had a bike stolen from my garage and was put in touch with
    > Wheelies Direct by my insurance company to provide a replacement. I decided that this would be a
    > good time to upgrade so decided to pay the difference and opt for better spec'd and pricier bike
    > than my original. [snip]

    My insurance company put me in touch with Wheelies and I opted, like you, for a higher spec
    replacement (where I would pay the difference). They couldn't supply it immediately, so I shopped
    around for someone who could (I was going for a Dawes Super Galaxy). Not only that, the other shop
    was offering last years model at a substantial discount.

    Phoned the insurance company and said that I wanted to use the other company. They said that was
    fine, but I wouldn't get the full replacement value of my old bike, only about 80% of it. More
    to-ing and fro-ing and Wheelies agreed to get me this years model of the SG at the same price as the
    discounted last years model. They said this would take a month, and it did. I had a bike to ride in
    the meantime, so I was relatively happy with the deal.

    My advice: get the insurance company involved and argue a bit.

    Tob
    --
    Remove spamtrap to reply by mail

  5. Stevie D

    Stevie D Guest

    Toby Barrett wrote:

    > My insurance company put me in touch with Wheelies and I opted, like you, for a higher spec
    > replacement (where I would pay the difference). They couldn't supply it immediately, so I shopped
    > around for someone who could (I was going for a Dawes Super Galaxy). Not only that, the other shop
    > was offering last years model at a substantial discount.

    Direct Line sent me to Wheelies, but I decided I wanted a second-hand bike that would be less
    attractive to thieves, and would hopefully be a better quality than I could have bought new for the
    same price. DL weren't very happy about this, but did in the end cough up and send me a cheque.

    --
    Stevie D \\\\\ ///// Bringing dating agencies to the \\\\\\\__X__///////
    common hedgehog since 2001 - "HedgeHugs" ___\\\\\\\'/