Anyone know where to get those little cable end thingies?

babybunny

Oct 5, 2004
You know, those tiny metal cylinders that you crimp over the end of a cable to prevent it from fraying... where can I get some? It's the stupid little things that I always can't find.

babybunny said:
So mooch off them? Sounds good.

I went to Home Depot and got the liquid plastic stuff you coat tools with and did my cable ends,comes in colors to.

shokhead said:
I went to Home Depot and got the liquid plastic stuff you coat tools with and did my cable ends,comes in colors to.
Oooo... good idea.

However, I already went to the bike shop and got some cable ends. I expected those little things to be free, but I guess the LBS guy was still perturbed that I didn't buy my bike from him so he charged me 20 cents for each. Originally he said 35 cents each, but later the nice cashier girlie **** said that they were only 20 cents.

babybunny said:
Oooo... good idea.

However, I already went to the bike shop and got some cable ends. I expected those little things to be free, but I guess the LBS guy was still perturbed that I didn't buy my bike from him so he charged me 20 cents for each. Originally he said 35 cents each, but later the nice cashier girlie **** said that they were only 20 cents.
Sounds like you need to find another bike shop. I do business with 3 LBSs and all of them know that I have "new" bikes bought elsewhere, and none of them let that get in the way of good service, fair prices, and free advice!

babybunny said:
You know, those tiny metal cylinders that you crimp over the end of a cable to prevent it from fraying... where can I get some? It's the stupid little things that I always can't find.

I have used electrical splices and cut them in half, pick them up at your local hardware store or Radio Shack. Or just solder the ends. :p

I've got this bike shop by my house that has every single little part you could ever imagine, he does charge for them, but for something like that he'd only want pennies, all the stuff you never thought you'd find anywhere, you guys should move to pittsburgh...

My LBS (Wards Cycles, Morley) gave me 2 on Monday for the new Tektro V-821 calipers on my MTB.

It finishes the job off real nice, thanks to BB for posting the question.