anyone tried Optygen?

shming123

May 1, 2004
has anyone tried that Optygen supplement? does it help at all with performance? is it safe?

shming123 said:
has anyone tried that Optygen supplement? does it help at all with performance? is it safe?

Haven't tried that product, but here is a link to Amino Vital which I have been using for about a month, and I find it really does work. Plus, it has some pretty good research behind it.

I have had a number of occasions to ride with and without using it, and I can definitely tell the difference. It's available at drugstore.com and at GNC stores.

http://amino-vital.com/

gruppo said:
Haven't tried that product, but here is a link to Amino Vital which I have been using for about a month, and I find it really does work. Plus, it has some pretty good research behind it.

I have had a number of occasions to ride with and without using it, and I can definitely tell the difference. It's available at drugstore.com and at GNC stores.

http://amino-vital.com/

There's no evidence that amino acids during exercise, or even pre and post are beneficial to exercise performance. in fact the ACSM advice is that most people can get all their protein needs and more from normal dietary intake. In the western world we abundantly overconsume protein, and do not require supplementation even with elite endurance athletes - whose protein intake is increased (but still met by a normal diet).

the web page carries some miss truths and is just marketing rubbish.

protein supplementation maybe required if you were on a severely restricted diet where there was significantly large weight loss.

it's the consumption of "good" carbohydrates (e.g., starchy carbs such as rice, pasta, bread, veggies, etc) that are important to exercise, and during exercise it's high glycaemic carbs that are even more important

ric

ric_stern/RST said:
There's no evidence that amino acids during exercise, or even pre and post are beneficial to exercise performance....

Ric, I respect your opinion, but I also know that I would hate to live in a world where innovation and efficacy were based solely on scientific merit. Many of todays trusted procedures and medicines were at one time disdained as not having scientific basis -- acupuncture and shark cartilage are among them. Just this year, leeches and maggots were approved as medical devices by the FDA -- imagine that!

I agree that science should be basis for viewing "new innovations" with skepticism, but that does not mean that science is the holy grail. Sometimes you have to try things yourself and decide if it works or not.

gruppo said:
Ric, I respect your opinion, but I also know that I would hate to live in a world where innovation and efficacy were based solely on scientific merit. Many of todays trusted procedures and medicines were at one time disdained as not having scientific basis -- acupuncture and shark cartilage are among them. Just this year, leeches and maggots were approved as medical devices by the FDA -- imagine that!

I agree that science should be basis for viewing "new innovations" with skepticism, but that does not mean that science is the holy grail. Sometimes you have to try things yourself and decide if it works or not.

i hear what you're saying -- leeches and maggots have been used for quite a while here in the UK.

I'm not sure of the history of the evaluation of these techniques, however, they now have been carefully evaluated and the maggots (etc) have been accepted.

on the other hand there's lots of research looking at amino acid supplementation and the overwhelming evidence is that it isn't valid.

ric