Appropriate lube for chains and gears

Random Data

Guest
On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 00:11:01 -0700, Travis wrote:

> What oil do people use for their chains and gears?

Car oil is designed to have relatively low viscosity so it will move about
in the engine. It doesn't need to stay put because it's pumped back up in
a basically closed system, black dots on the driveway notwithstanding.

You're after something with a touch higher viscosity that'll get into the
chain but not splatter off. I've heard reports of chainsaw bar oil being
effective.

I use Pedro's because Phantom was selling something like 3 bottles for $5
a few years back, and I've still got some left. I've also got a few random
bottles that I've been given at races or found in my stuff afterward and
no one laid claim to.

The most important thing is application. You need to get enough in to
lubricate the rollers, then wipe off the excess. A tiny bit on the chain
proper can help it move across the cluster, but won't do much else other
than attract grime. You need lube *inside* the rollers to keep them
moving. Hence, wiping off the excess should leave you with a chain that'll
actually last longer between cleanings.

It's also important that your chain is clean. While you can top up a chain
to keep it going, that tends to wash grit into the rollers. Take it off,
chuck it in a jar full of kero and swish it about until no more grit comes
out (you'll need to replace the kero a couple of times for most dirty
chains). On bike cleaners kind of work, but I reckon they're messier and
not as effective.

--
Dave Hughes | [email protected]
"Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it

What oil do people use for their chains and gears?

The oil I use in my car drips or spatters off the chain while the bike
is parked or in use, the result being my chain gets a bit dry. Some of
the prices for speciality bicycle oils seem a bit steep, so I'm
wondering if people have had any luck using motor oils of a different
grade, like heavy oils used for trucks and tractors? (Or maybe the
opposite extreme, something very light...)

Travis

Motorcycle chain oil - comes in a convenient spray can with little nozzle thingy and definitely doesn't drip off.

You do wipe off the excess, don't you?

In aus.bicycle on Sun, 06 Aug 2006 15:53:51 +1000
Random Data <[email protected]> wrote:

> It's also important that your chain is clean. While you can top up a chain
> to keep it going, that tends to wash grit into the rollers. Take it off,
> chuck it in a jar full of kero and swish it about until no more grit comes
> out (you'll need to replace the kero a couple of times for most dirty
> chains). On bike cleaners kind of work, but I reckon they're messier and
> not as effective.

Ah memories...

afternoons spent removing the chain from the motorcycle, giving it a good
scrub in kero, then putting it in the can of Duckhams grease heated to a
liquid on the stove. Leave it till the grease starts to solidify, take
it out, hang it from a hook till it was cool and had finished dripping,
wipe with a rag, reinstall on bike.

Maybe cyclists who wish to be really good to their chain need to find
some Duckhams?

Zebee

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> What oil do people use for their chains and gears?
>
> The oil I use in my car drips or spatters off the chain while the bike
> is parked or in use, the result being my chain gets a bit dry. Some of
> the prices for speciality bicycle oils seem a bit steep, so I'm
> wondering if people have had any luck using motor oils of a different
> grade, like heavy oils used for trucks and tractors? (Or maybe the
> opposite extreme, something very light...)
>
> Travis

CRC TAC2 - Adhesive spray lubricant. Spray a little in each link.

Bought and tried chain bar oil once, only once. Horrible stringy bits
keep on coming off the gears :(

Ray

On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 19:01:38 +1000, suzyj wrote:

> I wonder how they oil chains when they make them, because they're
> surprisingly good straight out of the packet.

Eeeew! I *hate* the packing grease I've found on out of the box chains.
First thing I do is a quick kero bath to get that **** off. It might be OK
on the road, but offroad it attracts **** like you wouldn't believe.

--
Dave Hughes | [email protected]
"I've found that nurturing one's Zen nature is vital to dealing with

"Zebee Johnstone" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In aus.bicycle on Sun, 06 Aug 2006 15:53:51 +1000
> Random Data <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> It's also important that your chain is clean. While you can top up a
>> chain
>> to keep it going, that tends to wash grit into the rollers. Take it off,
>> chuck it in a jar full of kero and swish it about until no more grit
>> comes
>> out (you'll need to replace the kero a couple of times for most dirty
>> chains). On bike cleaners kind of work, but I reckon they're messier and
>> not as effective.

> Ah memories...
>
> afternoons spent removing the chain from the motorcycle, giving it a good
> scrub in kero, then putting it in the can of Duckhams grease heated to a
> liquid on the stove. Leave it till the grease starts to solidify, take
> it out, hang it from a hook till it was cool and had finished dripping,
> wipe with a rag, reinstall on bike.
>
> Maybe cyclists who wish to be really good to their chain need to find
> some Duckhams?
>
> Zebee

I've heard of a similar strategy being used with a mixture of paraffin wax
and powdered graphite. It lubricates effectively and isn't at all sticky.

Travis wrote:

> What oil do people use for their chains and gears?

I've tried every oil known to mankind. In reverse order of preference:

Wax: Sucks something horrid. It works out of the pivots very quickly, and simply coats everything. After a few days, the chain squeaks.

Oil with Wax/PTFE in it: Still sucks. Coats stuff and is really hard to clean off, and squeaks.

Gearbox oil (60-80W): Okay if you heat it up before you apply it, but this is a PITA, and otherwise it tends to get everywhere and attracts dirt.

Motorcycle chain oil: Good gear for an abused bike (commuter). It's relatively light coming out of the can, so has a high probability of getting in to the rollers, then thickens up a lot, so doesn't come out. Very important to wipe as much off after application as possible, as otherwise it ends up all over your rear rim. As it ends up over the whole chain, it attracts muck, so your chain turns into a gooey black mess after a while.

Motor oil: Good gear for the race bike, but only if used very sparingly. I have a bottle that used to have triflow in it, that I refill with Mobil 1 15W30. After cleaning, I put a teeny drop on each roller, and it works very well. Stays on the roller, and doesn't attract gunge. Only disadvantage is that you have to clean and reapply with reasonably high frequency.

I wonder how they oil chains when they make them, because they're surprisingly good straight out of the packet.

Cheers,

Suzy

gplama wrote:
> Travis Wrote:
>> What oil do people use for their chains and gears?
>>

> ProLink - Little white bottle with yellow label. Best ever.

+1 for ProLink. I never clean my chain, just keep on wiping it down and
re-applying ProLink. Worst I've gotten out of a chain is 7,000kms,
generally get 10,000.
--
Cheers
Euan

Travis

Yes the bottles are stupidly priced, but they go a long way. I lube
every week or two and get 6 months from a $12 bottle of Tri-Flow.

Donga

Travis

Yes the bottles are stupidly priced, but they go a long way. I lube
every week or two and get 6 months from a $12 bottle of Tri-Flow.

Donga

Chainsaw cutter bar oil. Doesn't fling off. I bought a litre for a few
dollars about 15 years ago for lubricating bicycle chains, and it's still
going.

news:[email protected]...

suzyj said:
Travis wrote:

> What oil do people use for their chains and gears?

I've tried every oil known to mankind. In reverse order of preference:

Have OT question, several years ago I briefly encountered a old bloke while I was packing the panniers with the weekly groceries. He mentioned he used to be a trackie & bike mechanic in his youth and said something about Velvet soap being a substitute for when he couldn't afford bike lube. Seriously to this day I've wondered if the old chap was having a lend of me (I've never tried it!) or it's old repair tip a la bush mechanics.

Zebee Johnstone wrote:

> afternoons spent removing the chain from the motorcycle, giving it a
> good scrub in kero, then putting it in the can of Duckhams grease
> heated to a liquid on the stove. Leave it till the grease starts to
> solidify, take it out, hang it from a hook till it was cool and had
> finished dripping, wipe with a rag, reinstall on bike.

You Sir are showing your age....I haven't seen genuine Duckhams in
nearly 20 years...

Travis said:
What oil do people use for their chains and gears?

The oil I use in my car drips or spatters off the chain while the bike
is parked or in use, the result being my chain gets a bit dry. Some of
the prices for speciality bicycle oils seem a bit steep, so I'm
wondering if people have had any luck using motor oils of a different
grade, like heavy oils used for trucks and tractors? (Or maybe the
opposite extreme, something very light...)

Travis

Just use proper bicycle chain lube. It's not that expensive when you consider how little you actually should be applying.

gplama wrote:
> Travis Wrote:
>> What oil do people use for their chains and gears?
>>

> ProLink - Little white bottle with yellow label. Best ever.

Gets my vote too. Had it recommended to me at my LBS and haven't had to
do a big clean on my chain since I started using it.

--
daveL

Travis wrote:
> What oil do people use for their chains and gears?
>
> The oil I use in my car drips or spatters off the chain while the bike
> is parked or in use, the result being my chain gets a bit dry. Some of
> the prices for speciality bicycle oils seem a bit steep, so I'm
> wondering if people have had any luck using motor oils of a different
> grade, like heavy oils used for trucks and tractors? (Or maybe the
> opposite extreme, something very light...)
>
> Travis

I use Tri-Flow which is a teflon containing oil. A drop on each link
and wipe off the excess with a cloth. Lovely! I clean and lube the
chain at least once a month (depending on use and chain condition) and
have had the same bottle of lube for about 3 years.

--
Bean

Remove "yourfinger" before replying

>>> What oil do people use for their chains and gears?

Did anybody tell him _not_ to oil the gears?, ie its just the inside of
the chain rollers that needs chain oil. Wipe off after oiling.

As usual, see Sheldon Brown:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html