Are Helmets Completely Worthless as a Safety Device for a Bike Commuter?

Tom Sherman wrote:
> Sometimes the older days really were better (in my case late 1970's to
> early 1980's).

> It is too bad that people have not shown more restraint in breeding. The
> world would be a much better place with only 1 to 2 billion people.

That's not what we have to work with. Any good ideas from here?
(growing tomatoes in the Sahara by mulching large numbers of humans may
not actually be a workable solution)

Back to topic, I delivered 25~35 bicycles on Christmas Eve and Christmas
morning for many years but not a single one in this century. Kids don't
ride now. My nieces attend a school district where bicycles are not
allowed at school and that is no longer unusual. Beyond, they aren't
allowed to a park 2 blocks away without an adult. The goal of 'safety'
is skewed to salacious and weird dangers which are in fact exceedingly
rare and less common that ever in history. Bicycles are a mere symptom
of larger social failings.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On Mar 6, 9:40 am, Ed Pirrero <[email protected]> wrote:
> Anybody who can read plain English and is not trying to be an asshole
> on the internet can figure out what the actual claims are, and not
> ones made up by Carl Fogel.
>
> That's a logical fallacy.  You can look it up - it's called a "straw
> man".
>
> But please, feel free to quote the "claims" I'm making.  Just so
> everyone is clear.  No paraphrasing.  Actual quotes.

Here is one for you. You've made this same claim several times. I've
asked you a couple of times how this could make sense and got no
reasonable reply. Anyway, this is Carl's question to you:

On Tue, 4 Mar 2008 17:49:17 -0800 (PST), Ed Pirrero

<[email protected]> wrote:
>On Mar 4, 5:04 pm, [email protected] wrote:

>> If the death rate doesn't drop significantly, then either the helmets
>> don't have a significant effect, or else the death rate is so tiny
>> that significant effects cannot be measured in the whole population,
>> making it extremely unlikely that they could be measured in much
>> tinier studies.

>Except that the problem is this: impacts that may cause death are
>grossly in excess of what helmets are meant to protect against.

>The protection comes at the lower end of the injury scale.

>E.P.

Dear Ed,

If helmets have offer some protection in crashes, why wouldn't they
reduce the number of deaths at the "lower end" of the fatal injury
scale, turning them from fatalities into serious injuries?

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

On Mar 6, 9:44 am, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
> The goal of 'safety'
> is skewed to salacious and weird dangers which are in fact exceedingly
> rare and less common that ever in history. Bicycles are a mere symptom
> of larger social failings.

You said it well! The culture of fear and paranoia is certainly
escalating... and when people are afraid they will do all sorts of
crazy things. They can't find or do anything about the real source of
their fear... but they must do *something*!

On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 10:44:17 -0600, A Muzi <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Back to topic, I delivered 25~35 bicycles on Christmas Eve and Christmas
>morning for many years but not a single one in this century. Kids don't
>ride now.

Too bad, but I know that Ipods, Playstation, and other electronic
novelties now compete. Although, kids certainly get just as much
exercise watching virtual grass!

>My nieces attend a school district where bicycles are not
>allowed at school and that is no longer unusual. Beyond, they aren't
>allowed to a park 2 blocks away without an adult.

Strange. Maybe you should move. :)

>The goal of 'safety'
>is skewed to salacious and weird dangers which are in fact exceedingly
>rare and less common that ever in history. Bicycles are a mere symptom
>of larger social failings.

I don't know if it's a failing, or just an evolution. I mean, I like
bikes, but I don't know if everyone has to. Besides, when gas hits
$6/gallon we'll see a resurgence.

Ed Pirrero wrote:

> I'm not sure why this isn't clear from the freakin' REAMS of data
> presented here. What more clarification do you need?

This is a common problem in the helmet threads. I don't believe that
people like Ron and Frank are as uninformed as their posts make them out
to be. It's completely intentional to change the basic premise to one
that fits their position. In their world, if helmets don't prevent 100%
of deaths an injuries then they're worthless. It reminds me of the
Cingular representative explaining to me that since no carrier provides
100% coverage, they all are equal in providing less than full coverage.
In reality, it's not binary like that.

BTW, helmets _do_ provide protection from _some_ forces that would cause
death, there's just a cut-off point at which they make no difference,
but the cut-off is higher than for non-helmeted cyclists (at least if
you believe all the ER data, and all the medical professionals).

On Mar 6, 10:02 am, still just me <[email protected]> wrote:
> I don't know if it's a failing, or just an evolution. I mean, I like
> bikes, but I don't know if everyone has to. Besides, when gas hits
> $6/gallon we'll see a resurgence.

We will see increasing interest in smaller and lighter vehicles, and
maybe even alternative fuel (electric?) long before cycling is deemed
viable for transportation by the vast majority of the population. I
still think a major deterent to more efficient vehicles is the fear
factor... people are afraid to be in a vehicle that is smaller than
others on the road. It is true that in a head-on collision being in
the heavier vehicle will make you safer... but at the expensive of the
person you just ran into.

On second thought, if the lower-class keeps growing and getting
squeezed they might gravitate towards bicycles... if they can't afford
cars at all.

On Mar 6, 10:23 am, SMS <[email protected]> wrote:
> Ed Pirrero wrote:
> > I'm not sure why this isn't clear from the freakin'  REAMS of data
> > presented here.  What more clarification do you need?

> This is a common problem in the helmet threads. I don't believe that
> people like Ron and Frank are as uninformed as their posts make them out
> to be. It's completely intentional to change the basic premise to one
> that fits their position. In their world, if helmets don't prevent 100%
> of deaths an injuries then they're worthless. It reminds me of the
> Cingular representative explaining to me that since no carrier provides
> 100% coverage, they all are equal in providing less than full coverage.
> In reality, it's not binary like that.
>
> BTW, helmets _do_ provide protection from _some_ forces that would cause
> death, there's just a cut-off point at which they make no difference,
> but the cut-off is higher than for non-helmeted cyclists (at least if
> you believe all the ER data, and all the medical professionals).

See, I don't know if I buy that, just because the helmet specs are so
low, and the MK I cranial vault specs are so high (in comparison).

I absolutely believe that Frank spins the available data to benefit
his position. I have seen him do it with other topics, and I'm not
surprised he does it here. I doubt anybody really *knows* for certain
how much protection a helmet can provide. If folks don't wear them
properly, then how can any data forthcoming from that be useful? And
how do medical professionals have any idea if the helmet was being
worn properly?

The case studies don't tell the whole story, and neither do the whole-
population studies. Especially when Franks says there was zero
difference. I mean, come on - helmets can help prevent scalp
lacerations, right? I think EVERYONE agrees about that. Are we to
believe that the injury rate, including lacerations and contusions,
remained EXACTLY the same?

E.P.

On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 08:40:03 -0800 (PST), Ed Pirrero
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Mar 5, 11:13 pm, [email protected] wrote:
>> On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 20:51:39 -0800 (PST), Ed Pirrero
>>
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> >On Mar 5, 5:45 pm, [email protected] wrote:

>> >[snip]

>> >Then you may feel free to ignore my posts, Carl.  that way, you will
>> >not have to "suspect" anything, nor intimate that someone is lying
>> >without actually having the courage to come right out and say so.

>> >That's rather a nasty habit you have, Carl.

>> I've asked several times after you made that curious claim.

>Anybody who can read plain English and is not trying to be an asshole
>on the internet can figure out what the actual claims are, and not
>ones made up by Carl Fogel.
>
>That's a logical fallacy. You can look it up - it's called a "straw
>man".
>
>But please, feel free to quote the "claims" I'm making. Just so
>everyone is clear. No paraphrasing. Actual quotes.
>
>E.P.

Dear Ed,

You're still evading the question.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

On Mar 6, 11:23 am, SMS <[email protected]> wrote:

> In their world, if helmets don't prevent 100%
> of deaths an injuries then they're worthless.

Where did you ever dream this up? I'd be happy with some *real* data
that shows they help *at all*.

> BTW, helmets _do_ provide protection from _some_ forces that would cause
> death, there's just a cut-off point at which they make no difference,
> but the cut-off is higher than for non-helmeted cyclists (at least if
> you believe all the ER data, and all the medical professionals).

The ER data and medical professionals do *not* compile statistical
data on how helmets effect fatalities and injuries in the whole
population. Their knowledge is no better than the anecdotal "evidence"
of popular opinion ("of course helemts prevent most head injuries...
isn't it obvious?").

On Mar 6, 11:42 am, Ed Pirrero <[email protected]> wrote:
> The case studies don't tell the whole story, and neither do the whole-
> population studies.  Especially when Franks says there was zero
> difference.  I mean, come on - helmets can help prevent scalp
> lacerations, right?  I think EVERYONE agrees about that.  Are we to
> believe that the injury rate, including lacerations and contusions,
> remained EXACTLY the same?

You are missing another key point... there are several possible
reasons why helmets *increase* the *occurance* of head injuries, even
though they will surely make some of them less severe. The net effect
is that overall they don't help reduce either fatalities or injury
rates... this we know from the data.

On Mar 6, 12:09 pm, Ron Ruff <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mar 6, 11:42 am, Ed Pirrero <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > The case studies don't tell the whole story, and neither do the whole-
> > population studies.  Especially when Franks says there was zero
> > difference.  I mean, come on - helmets can help prevent scalp
> > lacerations, right?  I think EVERYONE agrees about that.  Are we to
> > believe that the injury rate, including lacerations and contusions,
> > remained EXACTLY the same?

> You are missing another key point... there are several possible
> reasons why helmets *increase* the *occurance* of head injuries, even
> though they will surely make some of them less severe.

I can't wait to hear how helmets cause scalp lacerations. This ought
to be good.

E.P.

Ed Pirrero wrote:

> See, I don't know if I buy that, just because the helmet specs are so
> low, and the MK I cranial vault specs are so high (in comparison).

I go by the ER data and FARS data. There's a narrow band where helmets
make the difference. It doesn't warrant a helmet law, but for those that
want to mitigate this small risk, they can choose to wear a helmet.

On Mar 6, 1:49 pm, Ed Pirrero <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mar 6, 12:09 pm, Ron Ruff <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On Mar 6, 11:42 am, Ed Pirrero <[email protected]> wrote:
> > You are missing another key point... there are several possible
> > reasons why helmets *increase* the *occurance* of head injuries, even
> > though they will surely make some of them less severe.

> I can't wait to hear how helmets cause scalp lacerations.  This ought
> to be good.

It becomes increasingly obvious that arguing with people who don't
understand the concept of logic (or don't "believe" in it) is a waste
of time.

On Mar 6, 2:05 pm, Ron Ruff <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mar 6, 1:49 pm, Ed Pirrero <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On Mar 6, 12:09 pm, Ron Ruff <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > On Mar 6, 11:42 am, Ed Pirrero <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > You are missing another key point... there are several possible
> > > reasons why helmets *increase* the *occurance* of head injuries, even
> > > though they will surely make some of them less severe.

> > I can't wait to hear how helmets cause scalp lacerations.  This ought
> > to be good.

> It becomes increasingly obvious that arguing with people who don't
> understand the concept of logic (or don't "believe" in it) is a waste
> of time.

How ironic - that was exactly my thought. Made up, out of the ether,
is the concept of helmet wearing "causing more injuries". Without any
data to back that up. So desperate are you to put words in my mouth
that you (and others) attempt to set up the straw man that I claim
that helmets prevent serious injuries. BTW, I have never said such a
thing, so you can stop setting that poor guy up already.

I have a hypothesis. It goes like this - the helmet-haters are so
adamant in their positions that they will grasp at ANY straw to make
the point that helmets have no value, even to the point of absurdity.
Set up straw men and making unsupported claims do not make your case
better, and only increase my belief that the agenda drives discussion.

Before you attempt to lecture anyone on logic, it's best that you
actually use it yourself.

E.P.

On Mar 6, 3:20 pm, Ed Pirrero <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mar 6, 2:05 pm, Ron Ruff <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > I can't wait to hear how helmets cause scalp lacerations.  This ought
> > > to be good.

> > It becomes increasingly obvious that arguing with people who don't
> > understand the concept of logic (or don't "believe" in it) is a waste
> > of time.

> How ironic - that was exactly my thought.  Made up, out of the ether,
> is the concept of helmet wearing "causing more injuries".  Without any
> data to back that up.

This of course follows *logically* based on the data which shows no
reduction in fatalities or head injuries when helmets are used. The
argument you keep making is that "of course helmets prevent or lessen
*some* injuries". And I agree with that... even though there is no
data to back that up either... because it makes sense that a helmet
will have *some* effect. But if they didn't somehow also *increase*
the incidence of *some* injuries... or the number of injuries in
general... then we should find a reduction in fatalities and head
injuries. Since we don't, can you think of another plausible
scenario?

The people I've seen who are arguing that helmets don't work are
merely interested in the truth of the matter as far as I can tell. I
just want to know if it makes sense for me to wear one. I *have* worn
one for a couple of decades now so it isn't a big deal. Based on all
the evidence it looks like helmets are very close to offering zero
benefit. That being the case, I might as well leave it off.

The other topic is trying to figure out exactly *why* helmets don't
work. I can think of a lot of possible reasons... but it is best to
remember that this is a separate issue.

On Mar 6, 3:17 pm, Ron Ruff <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mar 6, 3:20 pm, Ed Pirrero <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > It becomes increasingly obvious that arguing with people who don't
> > > understand the concept of logic (or don't "believe" in it) is a waste
> > > of time.

> > How ironic - that was exactly my thought.  Made up, out of the ether,
> > is the concept of helmet wearing "causing more injuries".  Without any
> > data to back that up.

> This of course follows *logically* based on the data which shows no
> reduction in fatalities or head injuries when helmets are used. The
> argument you keep making is that "of course helmets prevent or lessen
> *some* injuries". And I agree with that... even though there is no
> data to back that up either... because it makes sense that a helmet
> will have *some* effect. But if they didn't somehow also *increase*
> the incidence of *some* injuries... or the number of injuries in
> general... then we should find a reduction in fatalities and head
> injuries. Since we don't, can you think of another plausible
> scenario?

We are talking two different kinds of injuries. I am talking about
small injuries of the kind that are not life-threatening. I do not
believe helmets can protect much more than that.

The data that is not included are the head lacerations and contusions
prevented by helmet use. These are not serious, nor life-
threatening. They are also not counted in any way, from anything that
I have seen.

The implication that helmets somehow cause injury has been postulated,
but I've never seen it addressed in any formal way. Conjecture and
hypothesis, yes. Actual testing and data collection, no.

> The people I've seen who are arguing that helmets don't work are
> merely interested in the truth of the matter as far as I can tell. I
> just want to know if it makes sense for me to wear one. I *have* worn
> one for a couple of decades now so it isn't a big deal. Based on all
> the evidence it looks like helmets are very close to offering zero
> benefit. That being the case, I might as well leave it off.

Against scalp lacerations, I would disagree. Against severe TBI, I
would absolutely agree.

It's the reason I wear gloves while MTBing. They won't prevent broken
fingers, hand or wrist in the case of a bad crash, but will prevent
gravel rash if I put my hand down. It's about knowing the limitations
of the equipment you are using. That actually goes for ANY equipment
you are using, bike-related or not.

> The other topic is trying to figure out exactly *why* helmets don't
> work. I can think of a lot of possible reasons... but it is best to
> remember that this is a separate issue.

I think that you raise a good point. I think answering some of the
"why" might help explain some of the data, and fill in the gaps where
data don't exist.

Which is why, in my very first post in this thread, I postulated a
protection curve. One of my assumptions was that the helmet was
properly sized, adjusted and worn. Then, I assumed that the helmet
would protect against some values of force application up to its
design limits, then offer no more protection. Thus, for some run of x-
values, the y value would equal zero. Then, the curve would jump up
some to finally level out some way further up. Note - this is a
hypothesis, and one that I have not seen any data to support or
reject. As far as I know, the y-axis jump might be really small, and
the curve flatten almost immediately (implying that a helmet offers
nothing more than trivial protection.) But there are no data to
support or reject that particular model. It would require looking at
more than merely TBI data. One would have to look at every single
type of data. Including non-head data, just in case something strange
pops up. Because of risk compensation, I hypothesize that other-than-
head injuries would go up in helmet wearers over non helmet wearers.

Other people in this thread may wish to pretend I haven't given this
any thought, but I'll stack my reasoning up against any comers. Just
bring your data, an dleave your preconceptions behind.

E.P.

"Ed Pirrero" <[email protected]> wrote in message

<some stuff, snipped specially to confuse BillS>

Ed, do I understand your argument correctly as this? :

The only thing helmets help with is low speed impact, helping avoid things
such as scalp lacerations/grazes and other things which wouldn't result in a
recordable ER visit anyway?
And the reason this help isn't shown in the stats is that it's not recorded?

If so, I'm not too unhappy about the argument. It's significantly different
from the helmet-proponent norm (eg as used by SMS) which claims that they
help with the more serious stuff, fits the population data, and provides no
support for any helmet compulsion in whatever field.

I do reckon it's unlikely to be true, and the actual reason for the
population level stats is that gains in protection are offset by other
things, eg risk compensation. My reason for thinking that is that it takes a
remarkably small impact to result in a laceration requiring stitches
(experience speaking here), which would be an ER visit - ie even those
little hits would show in the stats.

But I'm not going to let it bother me too much. Personally I get most head
impacts at home - I would have saved myself some painful moments with a
helmet (though could have had others instead), but that's what you get from
having doors which are too low...
(and you should see the scratches on my caving helmet - that's had quite a
few dings too)

cheers,
clive

On Mar 6, 5:13 pm, "Clive George" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Ed Pirrero" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> <some stuff, snipped specially to confuse BillS>
>
> Ed, do I understand your argument correctly as this? :
>
> The only thing helmets help with is low speed impact, helping avoid things
> such as scalp lacerations/grazes and other things which wouldn't result ina
> recordable ER visit anyway?
> And the reason this help isn't shown in the stats is that it's not recorded?

I think that's about the size of it. If the impact to your noggin is
big enough to create a laceration, unhelmetted, then it may also be
large enough to cause some low-level TBI. I think there is a
continuum here, and it may be that one sort of trauma *MAY* blend into
the next. So, here's where the helmet screws stuff up - the impact
that happens protects against the scalp lac, but DOES NOT protect
against the low-level TBI!

I think the range of injury, and the level of protection is actually
quite complicated, and that when you throw in the varying level of
"proper wearing", you have a huge mess not easily sorted out. Even
with sophisticated stat software.

> If so, I'm not too unhappy about the argument. It's significantly different
> from the helmet-proponent norm (eg as used by SMS) which claims that they
> help with the more serious stuff, fits the population data, and provides no
> support for any helmet compulsion in whatever field.

I am a scientist by trade and by nature. When there is a lack of
data, I may hypothesize, but I rarely find a conclusion. It drives my
wife crazy, but has served me well professionally.

> I do reckon it's unlikely to be true, and the actual reason for the
> population level stats is that gains in protection are offset by other
> things, eg risk compensation. My reason for thinking that is that it takesa
> remarkably small impact to result in a laceration requiring stitches
> (experience speaking here), which would be an ER visit - ie even those
> little hits would show in the stats.

I think that there's a range of impacts and impact types that can
cause a scalp lac that vary from person to person. My brother, for
instance, has thin skin, and would bleed profusely from a very small
nick on the noggin. Me, I'd crash heavy on my bike, land right on my
head, and only get a bruise. His light swipe would land him in the
ER, and my spectacular tumble on the couch with an icepack.

> But I'm not going to let it bother me too much. Personally I get most head
> impacts at home - I would have saved myself some painful moments with a
> helmet (though could have had others instead), but that's what you get from
> having doors which are too low...
> (and you should see the scratches on my caving helmet - that's had quite a
> few dings too)

I completely agree. Last scalp lac I got was from working under my
car and whacking my head on a bolt. I come into the house and my wife
says "you're bleeding!" I thought it was just sweat. A bike helmet
might have saved me an ER co-pay that day. :/

But mostly, I think you have characterized my position on the matter
accurately. I don't think helmets do much, but I do think they do
something. And certainly, I do not count on helmets do do anything in
the realm of TBI. It *may* work out that way in some cases, but I
don't see much data supporting that angle.

> [...]

>> helmet (though could have had others instead), but that's what you get
>> from
>> having doors which are too low...
>> (and you should see the scratches on my caving helmet - that's had quite
>> few dings too)

>I completely agree. Last scalp lac I got was from working under my
>car and whacking my head on a bolt. I come into the house and my wife
>says "you're bleeding!" I thought it was just sweat. A bike helmet
>might have saved me an ER co-pay that day. :/
>
>But mostly, I think you have characterized my position on the matter
>accurately. I don't think helmets do much, but I do think they do
>something. And certainly, I do not count on helmets do do anything in
>the realm of TBI. It *may* work out that way in some cases, but I
>don't see much data supporting that angle.

Cool. Thanks for that. I think we may have some slight differences of
opinion, but they're minor enough to not worry about. Getting into a Judean
People's Front situation is such a waste of time. I wonder if it will calm
anybody else's flames? (yes, Ron Ruff, I'm thinking of you here :) )

cheers,
clive

On Mar 6, 7:13 pm, "Clive George" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Ed Pirrero" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> <some stuff, snipped specially to confuse BillS>
>
> Ed, do I understand your argument correctly as this? :
>
> The only thing helmets help with is low speed impact, helping avoid things
> such as scalp lacerations/grazes and other things which wouldn't result ina
> recordable ER visit anyway?
> And the reason this help isn't shown in the stats is that it's not recorded?
>
> If so, I'm not too unhappy about the argument. It's significantly different
> from the helmet-proponent norm (eg as used by SMS) which claims that they
> help with the more serious stuff, fits the population data, and provides no
> support for any helmet compulsion in whatever field.

I wonder: *if* helmets were proven to be effective in reducing
injuries (beyond scalp lacerations, etc.), if they offered a greater
degree of protection, would you then look favorably on "helmet
compulsion" for adult users?

For myself, the answer is no, as I do not see this as a proper matter
for government. But I am curious about what you and others might
think.

<remainder snipped without prejudice>