Are new bikes faster?

Status
Not open for further replies.
MartinM <[email protected]> wrote:

: I used to work with divisional champion TT rider, he said in his day he could never do a 25 below
: a 1hr 2. He put it all down to the bike. Can't argue with that, can't believe the roads are faster
: now than they were.

This is one of my grouches with TT'ing. The roads *are* faster. Specifically if you TT on a big dual
carriageway with 2000 cars/hr going past (like the national 100 last year), then you will go faster
than on the same road with no traffic. By quite a bit.

Makes a mockery of the sport IMO.

I find the just bunging some aerobars on my road bike and lowering the stem I get a 1 mph increase
on the average speed. I'd like to know how much faster I'd go on a fully tricked out TT bike, skin
suit etc..

Arthur

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org "Technolibertarians make a philosophy out of a personality defect"
- Paulina Borsook

Simon Brooke wrote:

> Huh? What does that make me, with a shoe size of 7 and a weight of 81Kg? And 6' 2", to boot. Does
> this make me overheight as well as overweight?

Shoe size seven and boot size 6'2"? Shurely shome mishtake...

I knew a chap at uni who once went on one of those machines wot calculate your ideal weight for your
height or vice-versa. Ever afterwards, Pete (5'6") was known as "Seven Foot Pete".

--

Dave Larrington - http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/
===========================================================
Editor - British Human Power Club Newsletter
http://www.bhpc.org.uk/
===========================================================

MichaelB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Remember aerodynamic power requirements cube with speed - or in other words to go twice as fast
> through air you need 8(!) times the power. Think about it 100mph cars have 75hp whilst 200mph cars
> have 600hp Resistance from the tyres only squares with speed so it becomes less significant
> compared to aero with speed.

I don't think it's as significant as that. The rolling resistance of a tyre is dependent on the
weight of the bike/rider, inflation pressure, and speed. I believe the power vs. speed curve for
rolling resistance is more or less linear, not exponential. In any case with high performance tyres
rolling resistance is always minor compared with aerodynamic drag.

Incidentally aerodynamic drag varies with the square of the speed. It's the power required to
overcome it that varies with the cube.

--
Dave...

"Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> MartinM <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> : I used to work with divisional champion TT rider, he said in his day he could never do a 25
> : below a 1hr 2. He put it all down to the bike. Can't argue with that, can't believe the roads
> : are faster now than they were.
>
> This is one of my grouches with TT'ing. The roads *are* faster. Specifically if you TT on a big
> dual carriageway with 2000 cars/hr going past (like the national 100 last year), then you will go
> faster than on the same road with no traffic. By quite a bit.
>
> Makes a mockery of the sport IMO.
>

Yes, there are riders who will only compete on dragstrips like you mention.

> I find the just bunging some aerobars on my road bike and lowering the stem I get a 1 mph increase
> on the average speed. I'd like to know how much faster I'd go on a fully tricked out TT bike, skin
> suit etc..

About 10 seconds! I worked out spending money on lighter gear worked out at abot £100 a minute
before I gave it up and went into Audax where it makes absolutely no difference.

"Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Dave is right. These relationships are instilled into HPV types at a
/very/
> early age...

But you don't talk about unpleasant relationships like rolling resistance is inversely proportional
to wheel size until they get to the age of 21.

On 13 Feb 2004 09:05:37 -0800, [email protected] (MartinM) wrote:

>"Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>> MartinM <[email protected]> wrote:

>> I find the just bunging some aerobars on my road bike and lowering the stem I get a 1 mph
>> increase on the average speed. I'd like to know how much faster I'd go on a fully tricked out TT
>> bike, skin suit etc..
>
>About 10 seconds! I worked out spending money on lighter gear worked out at abot £100 a minute
>before I gave it up and went into Audax where it makes absolutely no difference.

A lot of 6 minute men would be only too happy to lay out £600 to beat the hour.

--
Dave...

Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. - Mark Twain

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 00:08:05 +0000, Martin Family
<[email protected]> wrote:
> (OK, I have a not so nutty theory that obesity charts should be based on shoe size rather
> than height.

Excellent. 1.84m, 91kg, trousers getting tight.

Size 46 (that's 11 to you) shoes.

Goes to eat more chocolate.

Tim

Dave Kahn <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On 13 Feb 2004 09:05:37 -0800, [email protected] (MartinM) wrote:
>
> >"Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> >> MartinM <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >> I find the just bunging some aerobars on my road bike and lowering the stem I get a 1 mph
> >> increase on the average speed. I'd like to know how much faster I'd go on a fully tricked out
> >> TT bike, skin suit etc..
> >
> >About 10 seconds! I worked out spending money on lighter gear worked out at abot £100 a minute
> >before I gave it up and went into Audax where it makes absolutely no difference.
>
> A lot of 6 minute men would be only too happy to lay out £600 to beat the hour.

A lot of TT riders would sell their grandmother to beat the hour.

On 14/2/04 2:42 pm, in article [email protected],
"Tim Hall" <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 00:08:05 +0000, Martin Family <[email protected]> wrote:
>> (OK, I have a not so nutty theory that obesity charts should be based on shoe size rather than
>> height.
>
> Excellent. 1.84m, 91kg, trousers getting tight.
>
>
> Size 46 (that's 11 to you) shoes.
>
> Goes to eat more chocolate.
>

That gives an index of 23... maybe I shouldn't square the shoe size.

..d

>
> Tim

Tim Hall <[email protected]> writes:

>On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 00:08:05 +0000, Martin Family <[email protected]> wrote:
>> (OK, I have a not so nutty theory that obesity charts should be based on shoe size rather than
>> height.

>Excellent. 1.84m, 91kg, trousers getting tight.

>Size 46 (that's 11 to you) shoes.

>Goes to eat more chocolate.

Are you sure you've got this right? With feet that size I'd worry about chocolate.
--
Chris Malcolm [email protected] +44 (0)131 651 3445 DoD #205
IPAB, Informatics, JCMB, King's Buildings, Edinburgh, EH9 3JZ, UK
[http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

Status
Not open for further replies.