Are Stem Sizes Marked On The Stem?

TrekDen

Feb 18, 2005
Just curious, as I think I may need to switch to a shorter stem. My reach seems to be a little long with my current stem. On longer rides, my arms seem to get tired, which probably means I'm putting to much weight forward on the bars. I imagine 10mm's could make a difference, as it would also bring the rise a little closer as well as the length.
I'm planning on inquiring at my LBS, withiin a couple days. It would be nice to have a little more knowledge about this before I do. Thanks for any help in advance.

Den

Stems are often stamped with their length, but that's up to the manufacturer. You can adjust the rise based on the stem angle:

"Rise" refers to the angle of the "extension" of the stem as referenced to the steering axis,(the head tube angle). Thus, a stem with the extension perpendicular to the steerer might be referred to either as a 90 degree stem, or as a 0 degree stem! (and it will tilt up with the steerer) A road stem stem designed to give you a 90 degree (flat rise as referenced to the ground rather than the head tube) might be referred to as a 73 degree stem, or as having a 17 degree negative rise (from 90): negative to the head tube angle that is. So just remember that the stated angle is to the head tube, not the road, if you mail order and can't test the stem. And you can flip 'em over too.

Thank you for the quick reply. I decided to take a look at my stem, and found it is marked. It is a 100mm in length, and wouldn't you know it, I forgot to look at the angle of the rise. It's not 90 degrees, but it has a slight angle to it, and it is mounted with the angle going up. I've come across quite a few stems on the internet that have much loftier angles that may work. I also found Threadless Stem Raisers which might be worth a try. I'm not a racer, so a little upright position probably wouldn't hurt my recreational riding.