Are the ultra high gas prices hurting you?

JTE83

Jan 28, 2004
Man, gas is getting really expensive! 5-24-08 it's 3.79 / gal in Houston.

Ok, it's time for me to sleep or else I'll get insomina. Will post more later...

You Americans make me laugh. We are now paying something like 1.50 Euro a liter. You still have it easy. :)

And yes, I am walking/taking public transportation/pulling the trigger on the purchase of a commuting bike due to the high price of gas/diesel.

And to think that some analysts do not rule out oil hitting up to $200 per barrel. If only we could get the dollar to appreciate a bit, then things might ease off a bit, but then again that will not happen until after the elections. :(

JTE83 said:

Ok, it's time for me to sleep or else I'll get insomina. Will post more later...
Why are you worrying about gas prices when you have a $26,000 bike collection? Or is that sitting in a showcase somewhere gathering dust while you drive all over the place??

Powerful Pete said:
You Americans make me laugh. We are now paying something like 1.50 Euro a liter. You still have it easy. :)

And yes, I am walking/taking public transportation/pulling the trigger on the purchase of a commuting bike due to the high price of gas/diesel.

And to think that some analysts do not rule out oil hitting up to $200 per barrel. If only we could get the dollar to appreciate a bit, then things might ease off a bit, but then again that will not happen until after the elections. :(
It is around 1.45 euros here PP. But the problem is that Americans have subscribed to a model where they would rather drive from place A to place B (whether they are several tens/hundreds of miles apart or within the city) rather than use "public transport". Except for some parts, there is really no train network worth speaking about.

Also, you know the American mentality of "we have to change the world to suit us" rather than "we have to change ourselves to adapt to the changing world". ;) :p (btw, for the Americans reading this, this is partly a joke, but I think it is partly true as well).

You are right Darklord, but unfortunately here in central Italy people have the same mentality. Cars everywhere. Very few people would even consider cycling as an alternative to driving. C'est la vie.

Only weirdos like me... :)

Well, I'm an American and I couldn't argue with anything negative said about this country, because it's usually true. But, as to using bicycles in place of cars, I think it's totally impractical in most places for most purposes. For example, here in Florida it's very hot for a good part of the year. Just standing outside for ten minutes will make you sweat. How many places would I like to arrive, having gone by bike, soaking wet?

Many of my car trips involve transporting goods of some kind, groceries, books, heavy packages, etc. Most of the time I take my little famous dog with me (www.dogtellsall.com). How about when it rains, either going or on the way back (here, not just a deluge, but lightning, too).

I'm a dedicated cyclist (training and racing), but even if they had beautiful bike paths all over the place, I still wouldn't or couldn't use the bike for most other purposes.

Pendejo, all that you are saying is true, but in your country, like in mine, it is an issue of bicycling culture. You are either a serious recreational cyclist or you do not use a bicycle.

How is it that the northern Europeans use bicycles in miserable weather to get around without any problems?

Prices here are € 1.37 a litre and people here are complaining as well.
Gov are trying to encourage people to use public transport.
I use public transport any time I can ...........or use my bike.
I drive only when I have to.

Pedejo does have a point. Here in the US, many employers do not supply any type of shower facilities for their employees, and usually washing up in the restrooms is not feasable, especially if one has to intereact personally with clients or customers.

Concerning public transportation, we are lagging far behind the rest of the world in providing it. I live a little to the north of the city of Cincinnati in Ohio and there is no public transportation here. I have to go four miles to get to the nearest bus line, which only runs into down town Cincinnati, and bicycling is not an option for me because it is located just off of an Interstate Highway in a high density retail area with extremely high density traffic. We have no light rail in the area at all, no subways, no street cars.

Most of my freinds live 45 miles to the north of where I live. Once again, there is no public transportation from here to there either. I live here because it is close to work. I do bicyle there when it is not raining or extremely cold. I also live here to be close to my elderly parents in case something does happen. Unfortunately if I want to go anywhere else, I usually have to drive.

The public transportation in this area is spotty in coverage and only operates within strict boundries. If there is public transportation in a given area, they do not coordinate with adjacent public transportation entities to be convenient to the rider who has to cross boundries. It is not conveinient at all to have to walk 5 - 8 KM from one bus line to catch another bus line.

Wow, P. Pete - 1.50 / L = $8.95 / gal! Life is expensive in Europe!

Me, my last several fillups for a week of driving ranged from $24 to $28.57 for 7 days of driving, gas between $3.49 and $3.699 / gal. So it's still really affordable to me simply because I bought a 1999 Civic HX M/T beater car that gets me 44 mpg avg weekly tank. I just did a long road trip with it, and for 143 highway only driving at 65mph with A/C on/off every 5 miles I got an awesome 46.3 mpg!

America is highly dependent on the car, because many places don't have good public transportation. I blame it on the layout of the city, mostly, if it's not a grid like Chicago, it has horrible P. T. like Atlanta, Nashville, Louisville, and Houston. Plus many suburbs.

I also planned ahead and got 3 great commuter bikes with racks and 2 Jandd Commuter panniers. Plus a Burley Nomad for heavy duty shopping. I kept records since I bought my OCR 1 in 2005 of how much equivalent gas I saved by biking. Total as of 5-25-08 -> $197 in gas!

Gas can go up to $5.50 / gal and my weekly gas bill would be around $47 - what I used to pay for my minivan at $2.65 / gal!

JTE83 said:
America is highly dependent on the car, because many places don't have good public transportation. I blame it on the layout of the city, mostly, if it's not a grid like Chicago, it has horrible P. T. like Atlanta, Nashville, Louisville, and Houston. Plus many suburbs.
IMO it's because of GM, Ford's and Chrysler's political influence over the last 100 or so years.

the gas prices are definatelhy hurting me...I have to work overtime just to makeup for the higher prices which the inflated prices of food, clothing, entertainment expense...

gas prices here in the DC area has now reached the $4 threshold for regular this past week and diesel for my work truck is $4.99. I'm sure its just going to increase as the summer drags on.

I've rediscovered cycing recently and have been an irregular mtbiker for the last 4 years, but the gas prices are preventing me from going to the trails that requires driving more than 20 miles. Also I have made an effort to commute by bicycle this past week and purchased a road bike for the 12 mile one way ride to work and made my first commute to work by bike this past saturday and hope to do it on a regular basis.

As stated above, very little or no public transportation in the US. What if after WWII we had invested in rail and not in highways? The culture might be different about getting around. “I can afford a car (giant truck) don’t tell me how to drive” is common about driving habits either for safety or going for a 10 mile trip to the store and burning $8 to get a gallon milk. It will not change soon as people feel we are entitled to drive!

Part of the blame why gas hurts many Americans is that they drive gas hogs! Anything less than 32 mpg hwy sucks! Back in the late 80s to early 90's they made cars that got 50 mpg hwy, but now the best new ones can hardly break 40 mpg. There's too much safety requirements now that make even small cars a tank. And then it seems mfgs don't want to make a car that's less than 5 star crash rated.

High gas prices are really gonna hurt suburban and rural Americans. I road tripped past a rural countryside and saw many dependent on gas hog trucks, and nearest shopping was far away.

If gas gets too expensive I'll move closer to work and bike only when the weather is good.

Gas is really, really expensive in Europe. No doubt about it. I suspect gas to increase to at least $6/gallon in the US in the near future, and probably more, simply because even that would still be cheap compared to over there. Granted, the US does have very poor public transportation compared to the EU, due to our culture. There simply has never been a priority to switch to that mentality, and its true too we're stubborn and behind on a lot of issues, as a society. I used to bike to work 6-8 months of the year, rain or shine, and I'd quite seriously consider doing so again. No shower facilities at work, but I didnt push hard on the ride getting there, so it was ok most of the time.

Just to chime in for Aust. I live in rural South Australia, THe price has just gone up to $1.52au/ L for petrol. In the nearest city (300 km away) the price reached $1.62au. The problem in the country here is once the price goes up it doesn't really go down again. Deisel is about $1.80/L, the problem with this is everything in Aus is transported by trucks, they then supposedly pass this on to their customers, which is then passed along again and being so far from a major centre it must be transported further.:rolleyes:
I ride to work aswell, 7km there 7km home, it may not be that much but i figure that i would be saving about $20 in petrol for the week. We used to drive to Adelaide once to twice per month which cost about $30 each way in petrol, now it is about $40 each way. We do not go as often. Now the government here is talking about knocking off about 4cents/litre, what a joke, 4c/l saves about $2.50 for us when we fill our car from empty to full, about 65L.
Public transport is not an option either, it is there but only goes to the next town twice a day. To catch a bus to Adelaide costs $40 anyway so i might aswell drive. Even the PT in Adelaide is terrible, i have tried before and cannot work it out. My father in law who lives in Adelaide used to catch buses into the city, now he rides a motorbike, a lot more convenient and a lot cheaper.
I guess we are like America, we like big gas guzzlers and we have to drive everywhere. I would like to see Australia change but i cannot see it happening for a long time. There is now a lot of talk about bio-fuels, but this creates as many problems as it solves. Then there is the hybrid car, but these still use petrol. Ohwell petrol will be $2/L soon then people will really be screaming. It does not bother me anymore, i just fill up and don't even look at the price. It will be what it will be.:)

TheDarkLord said:
Also, you know the American mentality of "we have to change the world to suit us" rather than "we have to change ourselves to adapt to the changing world". ;) :p (btw, for the Americans reading this, this is partly a joke, but I think it is partly true as well).
Already said by Pendejo, but I'm American, and for the most part proud to be one (remember, almost as many of us voted AGAINST the current idiot in chief as voted for him), and I can't disagree with your assessment.

I know the guys at work don't really "look down" on my bike commuting, but I'm pretty sure some of them think it's a bit weird and I generally get some good-natured ribbing about it at least once or twice a week.

Oh, and due to a holiday weekend on which a huge number of people travel, gas jumped up to the $4.10-4.20 per gallon range hereabouts.

Hearing Americans say "ultra high gas prices" is a laugh. It's about time the American "entitlement" to cheap gas ends.

JTE83 said:

You are hurting? Don't you just go back to your walk in vault and chisel a few chips off your collection of gold bars? High gas prices are only a problem for the proletariat. A self-proclaimed member of the financial aristacracy such as yourself should not be worried about a piddling $3.79.

Crankyfeet said:
IMO it's because of GM, Ford's and Chrysler's political influence over the last 100 or so years.
No. It's due to an overly optimistic faith in free markets that has morphed into disdain and often outrage at any government attempt to forward plan for the long term. It goes far beyond automobiles and petroleum. You can see it in many aspects of America. Citizens, businesses, and government are incapable of planning for anything beyond a time horizon of a year.