are there any combo look and flat platform pedals?

Eric Paul Zamor

Guest
hello. i'm planning on pulling a child's trailer behind my road bike which currently has look
pedals. i'm thinking a pedal with a look system on one side and a standard platform for street shoes
on the other might be good. i'm not sure how much of a safety issue looks are while pulling a child
(i'm adept with them on my own), but was wondering if such a pedal existed? any input would be
appreciated. thanks

eric

fresno, ca.

eric paul zamora wrote:
> i'm thinking a pedal with a look system on one side and a standard platform for street shoes on
> the other might be good. i'm not sure how much of a safety issue looks are while pulling a child
> (i'm adept with them on my own), but was wondering if such a pedal existed? any input would be
> appreciated. thanks

Try for a Look pedal adapter - Winwood was one brand, IIRC. Snap it into a Look pedal and you have a
clip-and-strap arrangement. You could use one on just one side.

Look made an "ATB" pedal that fit regular look cleats on one side and had a grippy surface on the
back, but they don't pedal very well in street shoes (I commute on these). You can still find them
on Ebay from time to time.

Regards,
--
Mark Janeba remove antispam phrase in address to reply

In article <BB1C1A9D.9D19%[email protected]>, eric paul zamora <[email protected]> wrote:

>hello. i'm planning on pulling a child's trailer behind my road bike which currently has look
>pedals. i'm thinking a pedal with a look system on one side and a standard platform for street
>shoes on the other might be good. i'm not sure how much of a safety issue looks are while pulling a
>child (i'm adept with them on my own), but was wondering if such a pedal existed? any input would
>be appreciated. thanks

The Winwood Instep adapter is one solution to that problem.

http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&SKU=PD1120

--Paul

eric paul zamora <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<BB1C1A9D.9D19%[email protected]>...
> hello. i'm planning on pulling a child's trailer behind my road bike which currently has look
> pedals. i'm thinking a pedal with a look system on one side and a standard platform for street
> shoes on the other might be good. i'm not sure how much of a safety issue looks are while pulling
> a child (i'm adept with them on my own), but was wondering if such a pedal existed? any input
> would be appreciated. thanks

"Existed" is the operative here. There were pedals with a Look platform on one side and a ridged
platform on the other. They were sold in 1992-1993 to combat Shimano SPD mountain bike pedals. They
haven't been seen since. You might be able to find some at a swap meet.

Jeff

Mark Janeba <[email protected]> wrote:
> eric paul zamora wrote:
> > i'm thinking a pedal with a look system on one side and a standard platform for street shoes on
> > the other might be good.

> ...Look made an "ATB" pedal that fit regular look cleats on one side and had a grippy surface on
> the back, but they don't pedal very well in street shoes (I commute on these). You can still find
> them on Ebay from time to time.

Look also made a pedal with a very square shaped plastic body, one side takes standard Look cleats
and the other has a flat cage with a little bit of texture. There is even an integrated reflector
(!) They aren't as grippy as, say, a BMX pedal with little pins, but work OK. Again, greedbay is an
occasional source.