Are you a Trek Tech? Madone Question...

curby

May 9, 2006
New 2008 Madone 6.5 WSD arrived in the shop... the mechanic is stymied by the top tube cable liner, it doesnt fit inside the brake cable housing and therefore must be trimmed to fit between the (2) plastic top tube cable housing stops... but how?

After it is trimmed to the correct length how does one prevent it from falling inside the top tube when the brake cable needs replacing?

I was thinking that it is there only as a guide and that the cable housing runs through the top tube and the liner is removed as the housing is fed through but this does not seem to be the case...

I would love to call the mechanic and give him the solution before Trek gets back to him on Monday... hehe might even get someone their bike sooner!

enjoy,

all's'miles

curby

curby said:
New 2008 Madone 6.5 WSD arrived in the shop... the mechanic is stymied by the top tube cable liner, it doesnt fit inside the brake cable housing and therefore must be trimmed to fit between the (2) plastic top tube cable housing stops... but how?

After it is trimmed to the correct length how does one prevent it from falling inside the top tube when the brake cable needs replacing?

I was thinking that it is there only as a guide and that the cable housing runs through the top tube and the liner is removed as the housing is fed through but this does not seem to be the case...

I would love to call the mechanic and give him the solution before Trek gets back to him on Monday... hehe might even get someone their bike sooner!

enjoy,

all's'miles

curby

Probably just a guide to get the cable thru the top tube when building. Snake the cable thru, pull it out. Internal routing w/o an internal tube built into the top tube can be a real PITA. Like other Trek frames we have built, like some TT ones with all internal routing of cables.

thanks, you make more sense than the bunch of us!

our head scratchin' is over~! let the build continue...

thanks again,

all's'miles

curby