Are Zipp Wheels too fragile?

tuney

Feb 1, 2004
I want to get everyones opinion on this...
...and I wish I could spell warranty.

Bro Deal said:
You left out the "quality is spotty but customer support is good" option.

That is a very good point! Now how do I add that option! DOH

tuney said:
I want to get everyones opinion on this...
...and I wish I could spell warranty.
No, they are not really that fragile. But I wouldn't use them to train on. Just for racing and the occasional fast century.

When I get Zipp 404 clinchers I will use them everywhere for training, racing, commuting /every day use. I heard that the tubular ones will crack on a pothole. My LBS said a rim costs $580.

JTE83 said:
When I get Zipp 404 clinchers I will use them everywhere for training, racing, commuting /every day use. I heard that the tubular ones will crack on a pothole. My LBS said a rim costs $580.
I'd spend my money on something else. Those Zipps won't last long under everyday commuting and training. You'd be better off getting a set of Ksyrium ES wheels and pocketing the extra cash you saved.

I already have 2 sets of Ksyrium SLs, 1 Campy Eurus, 1 Ritchey Protocols. Just need different wheels.

Well, aren't the clinchers more durable or do they delaminate / separate?

Hey, someone said that HED 3s are no good for everyday use but I used them everywhere too!

dsc_0030.jpg

http://www.cyclingnews.com/track.php?id=track/2007/feb07/sidpatterson07

eyewitness says they "just all fell over"

:p
classic1 said:
About six riders came off in a motorpaced race. There wasn't enough pace on, riders were 3 or 4 wide and someone must have fallen over the wheel in front. They just all fell over. Nobody got hurt or hit the inside barricades or the ballestrade that I could see.

maybe a pedal in the spokes? But still........

hd reynolds said:
Reynolds Stratus DV with limited lifetime warranty.

I second this. I have experience with these wheels and have ridden them everywhere. My favorite aero wheel of what I have been on (someone want to give me a set of Lightweights, maybe I would change my tune lol). While I have no experience with ZIPPs, I have rarely heard anything good about them for use outside of anything other than racing days only - hence why I have no experience with them. ;) Same goes for HED.

FWIW, the biggest reason you hear a lot about Zipp rim/wheel failures is that there are a lot of Zipp wheels and rims out there. FWIW, the new Zipp 303's--at least these, I don't know if this is true across the product range--rims have been upgraded so that they're actually the Pave rims.

I will second Reynolds rims. Most of my riding is done on Stratus DV tubies, and they're plenty robust for everyday abuse.

Iffin' you wanna go for the newest best thing, wait for LEW's new wheels. Less than 900g for a wheelset. Replaceable CF spokes. I get to try a set out when they get in, and the idea of that has got me so horny that it's all I can do to sleep. The wheels are here.

alienator said:
Iffin' you wanna go for the newest best thing, wait for LEW's new wheels. Less than 900g for a wheelset. Replaceable CF spokes. I get to try a set out when they get in, and the idea of that has got me so horny that it's all I can do to sleep. The wheels are here.
That is just too much!!! :eek: :D

John M said:
Ksyrium, Eurus, Protocol.....Hmm. Seems like a rather strong use of the word "need". :)

I have so many wheels because I have 6 road bikes. 1 redundant set of Ksyrium wheels, so I'd like to sell them on ebay but I guess I'd only get $400 for a 2006 Campy set - so maybe I'll just keep them.

Well, no other wheel would go better for my AL and CF Soloist Team bikes than a Zipp 404. Don't like the hassle and expense of tubulars so I'm going clinchers when I have money to burn. And I think most people who have them are racers and since these wheels are so expensive they're just afraid to use them for everyday use. But racing is actually more risky like you can crash in a pack and ruin your wheels.

Seems like I'ved burned too much money on my bike habit as my bikes are worth $23,005 (6 bmx, 2 mtn, 6 road bikes).

Actually, I should quit my bike habit but I use road biking to control my weight and for transportation so I can never quit. Tried racing but I just don't have the dedication to train so much for racing.

I asked my LBS why they went up in price for 2007 and he said carbon went up and the hubs got better.

It would be like driving a Ferrari when I ride my CF Soloist with Zipp 404s in the future! This is my dream bike configuration, although my AL Soloist with HED 3s are good enough too!

JTE83 said:
I have so many wheels because I have 6 road bikes. 1 redundant set of Ksyrium wheels, so I'd like to sell them on ebay but I guess I'd only get $400 for a 2006 Campy set - so maybe I'll just keep them.

Yeah, but that would be $400 toward a new set of wheels. That seems a better thing. It's not as if Ksyriums are special or anything. They're not light; they're not aero; and they're not laterally stiff. Plus they have that stupid proprietary spoke.

JTE83 said:
Well, no other wheel would go better for my AL and CF Soloist Team bikes than a Zipp 404. Don't like the hassle and expense of tubulars so I'm going clinchers when I have money to burn. And I think most people who have them are racers and since these wheels are so expensive they're just afraid to use them for everyday use. But racing is actually more risky like you can crash in a pack and ruin your wheels.

Hassle and expense of tubulars? What is that exactly? According to the wives' tales and kvetching, they're a hassle. A lot of people don't think so. In several ways they're easier than clinchers. Expensive? How so? I use 'em, and I don't see what you're saying.

As for 404's, why? You could probably have a set of wheels built, more cheaply, around a set of Zipp 505 rims (same as 404 clincer), CX-Ray spokes, and hubs better than the Zipp hubs. As a bonus, you could get them with more spokes, front and back, to make them more durable. A set of such wheels built around DT Swiss 190 hubs, White Industries H1 hubs, or Tune hubs would be a killer set of wheels, and at least with the DT or WI hubs, you'd have a set of wheels that would better tolerate dirt, water, etc.

Hell, you could even build the wheels around Shimano or Campy hubs and have an uber durable set. Either way, you'd have a distinctive set of wheels built to your needs.

JTE83 said:
Seems like I'ved burned too much money on my bike habit as my bikes are worth $23,005 (6 bmx, 2 mtn, 6 road bikes).

There are much bigger collections of bikes. Go to Roadbike Review's forums and search for TerryB's bikes. He has a lot of bikes, and he rides them all.

JTE83 said:
It would be like driving a Ferrari when I ride my CF Soloist with Zipp 404s in the future! This is my dream bike configuration, although my AL Soloist with HED 3s are good enough too!

CF Soloist a Ferrari? Isn't that a stretch? A Parlee is more like a Ferrari. A Cyfac is more like a Ferrari. A Crumpton is more like a Ferrari. A Look 595 is....well, a Look 595 is just dead sexy and a near perfect bicycle. For what Cervelos cost, I'd want a much better paint job than the one they come with.

FWIW, don't expect some revolutionary changes when you put good aero wheels on. At 25 mph, the biggest benefit that the best aero wheelsets in the world will give you is 0.4 or so extra mph. Plus, the 404 wheelset ain't exactly light, iffin' you're concerned about weight. Aero wheels are a help, a fair bit of help at that, but the performance differences won't be revolutionary.

alienator said:
FWIW, the biggest reason you hear a lot about Zipp rim/wheel failures is that there are a lot of Zipp wheels and rims out there. FWIW, the new Zipp 303's--at least these, I don't know if this is true across the product range--rims have been upgraded so that they're actually the Pave rims.

I will second Reynolds rims. Most of my riding is done on Stratus DV tubies, and they're plenty robust for everyday abuse.

Thats a lot of money at almost $6grand for the LEWs. Reserved only for those with money to burn or for pro teams. I think versus the LEWs, the Lightweight Obermayers are a bargain.

I agree here on the CF Soloist, it is justtoo sexy and with the zipps it is over the top. CSC er by far the styliest team I think, followed by Caisse Iles. I got a thing for red and black.

You say that for the money a CF Soloist costs you want a better paintjob Alianator in the same sentence you rave about the 595. I find this a bit strange since 595 come in all black standard or all white team issue, at least the Soloist has a paintjob. If I had the money to by a 595 frame, and it is in my top 10 I would certainly spend some extra cash for a proper paintjob. I think manufacturers neglect this aspect thinking knowledgable people spending thousands on a frame only care about the stiffness etc.

Maybe I'm just vain:)

Alienator -- I have 4 bikes with properly calibrated Polar Power meters. And 2 years of workout data to compare them. They are: 2002 Giant TCR Aero 2, 2003 Cervelo Soloist Team HED 3, 2005 Kestrel Talon Eurus, 2006 Raleigh Prestige Ritchey Protocol wheels. When I compared my workout power levels and speed the Cervelo with HED 3s came out as the fastest bike per power level. So look out for my future thread maybe titled - "The power benefits of an aero bike" in the Power Training section. My Raleigh Prestige is a round tube non aero bike so it has the worst aerodynamics and the slowest speed per power level of all my workout bikes. The Parlee, Cyfac, and Look are just similar to the Raleigh, so truly, a Cervelo Soloist Team bike is the Ferrari of bikes!

Maybe Zipp hubs do suck as they've had problems in the past, but my LBS said they improved for 2007.

How many bikes does TerryB have?

The hassle with tubulars -- you can't ride tubular tires till they nearly worn out or else you will get frequent flats, and you have to carry an entire tire around for a spare. I would use tape too. And the tubular Zipps will crack on a pothole.

Capisce said:
I agree here on the CF Soloist, it is justtoo sexy and with the zipps it is over the top. CSC er by far the styliest team I think, followed by Caisse Iles. I got a thing for red and black.

You say that for the money a CF Soloist costs you want a better paintjob Alianator in the same sentence you rave about the 595. I find this a bit strange since 595 come in all black standard or all white team issue, at least the Soloist has a paintjob. If I had the money to by a 595 frame, and it is in my top 10 I would certainly spend some extra cash for a proper paintjob. I think manufacturers neglect this aspect thinking knowledgable people spending thousands on a frame only care about the stiffness etc.

Maybe I'm just vain:)

Quality of finish is what I was talking about with respect to paint job, not design. Cervelo's paint finish quality is not stellar. Look frames are known to have impeccable finishes.

There is nothing in having multiple colors and pinstripes or whatever that makes a paint job good.