Arriving in a muck sweat

"[Not Responding]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> Two points. (1) Health is a very minor reason for my cycling; transport and fun are what gets me
> in the saddle. (2) So I give up cycling; I'll have achieved what, precisely?

Improved health may not be among your reasons for cycling, but it's a benefit you reap nonetheless.

> I like to point out that smoking is carbon-neutral (unlike driving) and the effluent from my 'few'
> fags per day is several orders of magnitude less toxic to their fellow humans than the pollutants
> arising out of their commute.

There is an argument that the vast quantities of fertile land used to grow tobacco might otherwise
be producing food. However, it's not so much the damage to the environment as the damage to your
health that ought to concern you. That of course is entirely your business and no-one else's. I have
no doubt, however, that healthwise you're better off smoking moderately and cycling than smoking
moderately and not cycling.

--
Dave...

On 5 Jun 2003 00:17:39 -0700, [email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote:

>However, it's not so much the damage to the environment as the damage to your health that ought to
>concern you. That of course is entirely your business and no-one else's.

Especially now that the 'passive smoking' issue has been challenged.

I have no doubt, however, that healthwise you're
>better off smoking moderately and cycling than smoking moderately and not cycling.

Could try a pipe.

John's Cat wrote:
> On 5 Jun 2003 00:17:39 -0700, [email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote:

>>better off smoking moderately and cycling than smoking moderately and not cycling.
>

> Could try a pipe.

You can only pass a pipe off on a Pedersen and a few other bikes

Colin

On Thu, 05 Jun 2003 08:46:21 +0100, Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> wrote:

>John's Cat wrote:
>> On 5 Jun 2003 00:17:39 -0700, [email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote:
>
>>>better off smoking moderately and cycling than smoking moderately and not cycling.
>>

>> Could try a pipe.
>
>You can only pass a pipe off on a Pedersen and a few other bikes
>
>Colin

I don't think the OP was actually smoking *on* the bike. But I agree, the image is rather more
'tweed plus-fours and an upright' than 'lycra and an MTB'.

[Not Responding] wrote:

> I usually have a *** on arrival and before departure. And on the hour if it's a long ride. People
> are always making comments along the lines of 'why bother cycling if you smoke'.

I used to get that a fair bit before the cost finally drove me to give up. Once I was fumbling my
wallet out of my pannier when a packet of Marlboro tumbled out of the pocket and onto the counter of
the bike shop.

Bike Shop Man: Eeek! Bad Karma!! A cyclist who *smokes*?!?!?
Me: No, I'm a smoker who rides a bike.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

> > Anyways, I lock my bike up outside the office, take off my helmet and
take a
> > walk to the shop to buy a couple of drinks. After that, I have a
leisurely
> > *** outside the office before going in
>
> [snip]
>
> Thereby, of course, undoing all the good you've achieved by exercise and then some! :;

Hehe, I'm young and play jazz piano (albeit badly) - how could I *not* smoke? Besides, I think I'd
be worse off if I spent all day sat on my **** doing nothing :)

Thomas.

xIn article <[email protected]>, "[Not Responding]"
<[email protected]> writes

>I usually have a *** on arrival and before departure. And on the hour if it's a long ride. People
>are always making comments along the lines of 'why bother cycling if you smoke'.

Several years back my flatmate started the Belfast marathon with a self rolled ciggie while he was
waiting for the starting whistle. Then he stuffed his roll up kit down down his sock so he could
have a quick puff half way through it.

--
congokid Eating out in London? Read my tips... http://congokid.com

congokid wrote:

> Several years back my flatmate started the Belfast marathon with a self rolled ciggie while he was
> waiting for the starting whistle. Then he stuffed his roll up kit down down his sock so he could
> have a quick puff half way through it.

The habits that start with cross country at school, can be with you all your life.

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

congokid wrote:

> Several years back my flatmate started the Belfast marathon with a self rolled ciggie while he was
> waiting for the starting whistle. Then he stuffed his roll up kit down down his sock so he could
> have a quick puff half way through it.

One BHPC member, who had better remain nameless, stopped halfway round the annual Darlington 50 km
time-trial in order to build and smoke a veritable Camberwell Carrot of a spliff...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Dave Larrington wrote:

> One BHPC member, who had better remain nameless, stopped halfway round the annual Darlington 50 km
> time-trial in order to build and smoke a veritable Camberwell Carrot of a spliff...

A long time ago I drove the van for a load of mountain bikers going to a race. I seem to recall that
they possesed and shared a great quantity and quality Hebdens best.

Do they still all do that?

--

"AndyMorris" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Dave Larrington wrote:

> A long time ago I drove the van for a load of mountain bikers going to a race. I seem to recall
> that they possesed and shared a great quantity and quality Hebdens best.
>
> Do they still all do that?

According to my mountain biking friends, most certainly yes. There is a big cross over between
mountain biking and the rave scene ;)

I remember Richard Ballantines Bicycle Book where the cavity inside a drop handlebar was marked
"stash". Couldn't help thinking that the unthinking could easily end up with their precious cargo
falling deep into the innards of the handlebar, and visions of 70s hippies having to dismantle parts
of their bikes in the middle of the communal smoking room to retrieve the stashed items!

Alex

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 20:07:27 +0100, "Mr R@t \(2.3 zulu-alpha\) [comms room 2]"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I remember Richard Ballantines Bicycle Book where the cavity inside a drop handlebar was
>marked "stash".

Not in my 1980s copy, though. Can anyone post a link to a jpeg of this esteemed illustration (no
doubt by the equally esteemed John Batchelor)?

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

Mr R@t (2.3 zulu-alpha) [comms room 2] wrote:

> I remember Richard Ballantines Bicycle Book where the cavity inside a drop handlebar was marked
> "stash".

I remeber buying and reading it when I was about 15 (back in 1977) and thinking it was a
technical term.

--

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 20:34:32 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> said:

>> I remember Richard Ballantines Bicycle Book where the cavity inside a drop handlebar was marked
>> "stash".

> Not in my 1980s copy, though.

It's in my "Revised and expanded edition, 1979"

http://www.glaramara.freeserve.co.uk/rbbstash.jpeg

> (no doubt by the equally esteemed John Batchelor)?

Indeed

--
Alan J. Wylie http://www.glaramara.freeserve.co.uk/ "Perfection [in design] is achieved not when
there is nothing left to add, but rather when there is nothing left to take away." -- Antoine de

<[email protected]> wrote:

>"AndyMorris" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> Dave Larrington wrote:

>I remember Richard Ballantines Bicycle Book where the cavity inside a drop handlebar was
>marked "stash".

A friend of mine claimed the "piston rod" of a bicycle pump was a better option. He was stopped 'on
sus' many a time, but no herbal remedies were ever found during the search ;-)

--
MatSav

"Alan J. Wylie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> http://www.glaramara.freeserve.co.uk/rbbstash.jpeg

Thank you.

Stine me - it's my old Galaxy, complete with the Mafac levers with the quick-release tabs!

Or should that be "stoned me?"

I'll get me coat...

--
Guy