Australia: 6, Canada: ZERO

janiejones said:
There is always somewhere warm to ride.
We are very sport obsessed over here - I don't know what it is like in Canada, but over here it is SPORT SPORT SPORT.
I'm not saying this is a bad thing, but sometimes it seems a little unbalanced, my local town for example has a tiny library and public schools screaming out for money, but plenty of well kept sporting fields, indoor and outdoor and massive amounts of sport on television.

Also, if an Australian ever does anything wrong, doping etc, not mentioning names - coughcoughIanThorpecoughsplutter, it's always, "no it wasn't his fault", not our sporting heros and it's forgotten about, even by the Prime Minister.

Oh yeah, if we lose at something it's always the other team's cheating tactics - particularly in the rugby union, swimming and cricket. We blame the Chinese for taking steroids and stealing our swimming medals, the English and South Africans for being too rough and unfair (in Rugby this is!!!) and in cricket, it used to be the New Zealanders but now in the new age of post 9-11 racism, it's Inida and Pakistan

Plus it's always sunny and you want to go for a ride instead of school or work.:) :) :)
Were you born in Australia? Somehow I highly doubt it....

You Canadian's bag your association a lot. Seen this in several threads.

Immigrate to Australia, you can ride all year around :)

I'm an Aussie and follow the adventure's of Fausto vs Cycling Canada with keen interest. As for Aussies 6: Canada 0 well there's only one thing to say really:

BWAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGggggggggghhhh (roflmao)

I hate it when I run out of breath mid laughter. :D

Now all you kiddies that like to attack Fausto coz you've got nothing better to do with your meaningless lives please let him be. He's the only one on the Interwebby thing that's providing any insight on how to create a national failure and maintain it despite alternate mediocrity being available.

BWAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGggggggggghhhh (wheeeeeeze) ahahahaaaaa....

I think one of the main issues in Canada is that most or at least many riders quit at the age of 20-25 and just disappear from the sport. Issues lie in the provinces rather than in CCA and as provincial associations form the CCA these issues spread upwards.

I know Ed disagrees with me but IMO change should be started from provincial cycling associations to make permanent change for better.

Used to be Canada had a number of good cycling provinces. There was, of course, Quebec, always very good, Ontario, Manitoba, Alberta and BC.

Now, Quebec is still the best province, BC is doing very well, Ontario has good riders but poor organization. Alberta and Manitoba as provincial associations sem to have fallen far behind.*

Sure, it would help to improve things in the provinces but without leadership in Ottawa it won't mean much on a national or international scale. you need ntional events and national sponsors.

Speaking of sponsors, looks like things at the CCA are as dead as ever in that regard. Lorraine Lafreniere has done nothing more than Steve Lacelle or Kim Sebrango. She should quit as they did.

*PS Saskatchewan, thanks to Bill Kinash, has been for at least the last 30 years the worst cycling province in the country,