avanti discovery or giant cypress?

ridericm

May 20, 2005
From reading some of the posts it seems that most people are spending a lot more money than we intend to but maybe someone has some advice re the avanti discovery (about $450) or the giant cypress (about $500). They are for two late-fifties, early sixties riders who would ride on roads and bike paths for a couple of hours once or twice a week (at first). Our current bikes are both older style racing bikes.

mmmm, ok, but..

A little lighter and faster and few more $, is the Flat Bar range of road bikes.

Look at the Felt SR 91-101, Giant CRX 2-3, Avanti Blade-Blade Sport.

I have 2 felts and an over 55 and I find them ideal.

The trekking bike is more at home on the older footpaths than the road bike. There are some 2003 models of the Felt Trevisa in Ladies and Gents styles still available, e-mail me for details on those if interested.

If you do go for the Cypress or the Discovery, some better tyres will help greatly. The Contis I have on the Trevisa made a big difference to the speed and handling on the road and paths.

ridericm said:
From reading some of the posts it seems that most people are spending a lot more money than we intend to but maybe someone has some advice re the avanti discovery (about $450) or the giant cypress (about $500). They are for two late-fifties, early sixties riders who would ride on roads and bike paths for a couple of hours once or twice a week (at first). Our current bikes are both older style racing bikes.
You should be able to get an Avanti blade for ~$500. Nice bikes.