Average Power Output

dannyfrankszzz

New Member
Mar 8, 2003
Just wondered what the average power output a Pro would expend during a race. Obviously, this is dependent on the length of the race etc, but a rough guide would be handy.

I heard from somewhere that Floyd Landis would go at 350W for up to 8-10 hrs during training! I'm able to sustain an average of 200W for 20 mins on the bike in the gym.

dannyfrankszzz wrote:
> Just wondered what the average power output a Pro would expend during a
> race. Obviously, this is dependent on the length of the race etc, but
> a rough guide would be handy.
>
> I heard from somewhere that Floyd Landis would go at 350W for up to
> 8-10 hrs during training! I'm able to sustain an average of 200W for
> 20 mins on the bike in the gym.

That seems about right.
Ignoring rolling friction and assuming that you have a drag coefficient
of 0.85 with a cross section of 0.33m^2 ...
Then you're going nowhere at 23mph while Floyd is heading to the
pharmacy at nearly 28mph.

--
Roger Thorpe

My email address is spamtrapped. You can work it out!

I did read somewhere that Basso was reckoned to put out approx. 450W
while climbing (based on calcs of his known weight and speed during the
climb rather than actually measured power output).

If I've got my figures right, Lance was able to sustain 430W during a
climb (ie for the last 10km rather than the whole race).

I also seem to remember that a sports physiologist thought that a
sustained 450W output was a physical imposibility for a human
being............without some sort of artificial help.

dannyfrankszzz wrote:
> Just wondered what the average power output a Pro would expend during a
> race. Obviously, this is dependent on the length of the race etc, but
> a rough guide would be handy.
>
> I heard from somewhere that Floyd Landis would go at 350W for up to
> 8-10 hrs during training! I'm able to sustain an average of 200W for
> 20 mins on the bike in the gym.
>

> --
> dannyfrankszzz

After busting my hand a couple of weeks ago I can't ride a normal bike
(3 weeks, 6 days and about 12 hours before I'm allowed back on a bike),
so I've been relegated to gym trainer where I can rest my elbows on the
top handlebar and therefore no weight resting on wrist or palm.

It's hard to gauge the effort and resistance, a 1 to 25 setting.
There's no speed reading, but there is cadence, distance, power and
time. So I program in 25km a middle-ish resistance of 11and go for it
and so far I'm averaging about 45-50 minutes and about 270W. It feels
about right, though for the effort I think I'm putting in I feel I
would have gone further on the road.

Laters,

Marz

Marz wrote:

> After busting my hand a couple of weeks ago I can't ride a normal bike
> (3 weeks, 6 days and about 12 hours before I'm allowed back on a bike),
> so I've been relegated to gym trainer where I can rest my elbows on the
> top handlebar and therefore no weight resting on wrist or palm.

Sounds like a good excuse for that recumbent trike ;-)

John B

John B wrote:
> Marz wrote:
>

> > After busting my hand a couple of weeks ago I can't ride a normal bike
> > (3 weeks, 6 days and about 12 hours before I'm allowed back on a bike),
> > so I've been relegated to gym trainer where I can rest my elbows on the
> > top handlebar and therefore no weight resting on wrist or palm.

> Sounds like a good excuse for that recumbent trike ;-)
>
> John B

That would be sweet. I spent a summer working with Peter down at
Crystal Engineering many years ago, an excellent experience where I
learnt alot. Couldn't afford a Trice then, but he used to let me ride
one home most evenings. I guess I can afford one now, I just have to
justify my expendition with my CFO (wife).

Laters,

Marz

In article <[email protected]>
Marz <[email protected]> wrote:

> John B wrote:
> > Marz wrote:
> >

> > > After busting my hand a couple of weeks ago I can't ride a normal bike
> > > (3 weeks, 6 days and about 12 hours before I'm allowed back on a bike),
> > > so I've been relegated to gym trainer where I can rest my elbows on the
> > > top handlebar and therefore no weight resting on wrist or palm.

> > Sounds like a good excuse for that recumbent trike ;-)
> >
> > John B

> That would be sweet. I spent a summer working with Peter down at
> Crystal Engineering many years ago

When was that? We used to see Peter from time to time when he was
working on something new, and got to ride a few prototypes.

Rob Morley wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>
> Marz <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > John B wrote:

> > > Sounds like a good excuse for that recumbent trike ;-)
> > >
> > > John B

> > That would be sweet. I spent a summer working with Peter down at
> > Crystal Engineering many years ago

> When was that? We used to see Peter from time to time when he was
> working on something new, and got to ride a few prototypes.

When? Er, if memory serves, summer of 92 or 93. I'd just dropped out of
Uni and while shopping in Redruth spotted this weird looking bike
(first time I'd seen a 'bent) leaning up against a wall across the
street. So I had to go look, and while I was attempting to work out how
the steering worked (under seat) this dude wandered out of a shop and
said 'Hi'. We got talking, I offered to help out and ended up sending a
few days a week up at his workshop/garage just outside Redruth (name of
the house escapes me). Peter was meticulous about his work and
passionate about his customers and I learnt a lot. Money wasn't the
issue with him, it was more important to get it right.

He'd built this two seater Trice, a side-by-side, about the width of
mini. Square tubing and weighed about 55 pounds. Not much fun on your
own (but rideable), but with two, man that thing could move, easy 40mph
on the flat.

So if you were down there and spotted a 6'5" lanky bean pole trying to
help, that were me. And if any one took receipt of a new Ross or Trice
in that time, but couldn't read the delivery note 'cos the hand writing
was so bad, that was probably me too, sorry.

Laters,

Marz

In news:[email protected],
Marz <[email protected]> tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell us:

> He'd built this two seater Trice, a side-by-side, about the width of
> mini. Square tubing and weighed about 55 pounds. Not much fun on your
> own (but rideable), but with two, man that thing could move, easy
> 40mph on the flat.

Oooh! I've ridden that one! The previous day, some idiot had crashed it
into a flowerbed and broke one of the front hubs, so it had a 16" wheel on
one side and a 17" on the other. The late Steve Donaldson and I raced it to
second[1] place in the multi-rider class in the 200m sprints in
Wolverhampton, topping out at around 33 mph, coz I mistook the 100m line for
the finish and stopped pedalling.

1 - out of two

--
Dave Larrington
Kinder surprise! What's the surprise? Your children are now dead.

Dave Larrington wrote:
> In news:[email protected],
> Marz <[email protected]> tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell us:
>
> > He'd built this two seater Trice, a side-by-side, about the width of
> > mini. Square tubing and weighed about 55 pounds. Not much fun on your
> > own (but rideable), but with two, man that thing could move, easy
> > 40mph on the flat.

> Oooh! I've ridden that one! The previous day, some idiot had crashed it
> into a flowerbed and broke one of the front hubs, so it had a 16" wheel on
> one side and a 17" on the other. The late Steve Donaldson and I raced it to
> second[1] place in the multi-rider class in the 200m sprints in
> Wolverhampton, topping out at around 33 mph, coz I mistook the 100m line for
> the finish and stopped pedalling.
>
> 1 - out of two

That's so funny. I don't think I ever crashed it, so that damage wasn't
me.

But I thought it was a great idea, probably not quite as fast or
efficient as an inline tandem Trice, but so much more social and fun.
Riding that thing around Cornwall wasn't a problem as folks were used
to a lot of slow farming traffic on the roads and on the down hills we
just kept up with the traffic.

Steering was fun, with all that weight on the front wheels the back
wheel had a tendency to skip in corners. :)

laters,

Marz

In article <[email protected]>
Marz <[email protected]> wrote:
> Rob Morley wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>

<snip>
> > When was that? We used to see Peter from time to time when he was
> > working on something new, and got to ride a few prototypes.

> When? Er, if memory serves, summer of 92 or 93.

I'd left Cornwall by then.

> Peter was meticulous about his work and
> passionate about his customers and I learnt a lot. Money wasn't the
> issue with him, it was more important to get it right.

He was a very nice chap, and ISTM did the Trice thing for all the right
reasons.

> He'd built this two seater Trice, a side-by-side, about the width of
> mini. Square tubing and weighed about 55 pounds. Not much fun on your
> own (but rideable), but with two, man that thing could move, easy 40mph
> on the flat.

That was a smart machine - ISTR he fetched it over when he was still
sorting out the gears, and we went for a trundle around town. Do you
know if he ever put it into production, or if not why not?

Rob Morley wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>
> Marz <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Rob Morley wrote:
> > > In article <[email protected]>

> <snip>
> > > When was that? We used to see Peter from time to time when he was
> > > working on something new, and got to ride a few prototypes.

> > When? Er, if memory serves, summer of 92 or 93.

> I'd left Cornwall by then.
>
> > Peter was meticulous about his work and
> > passionate about his customers and I learnt a lot. Money wasn't the
> > issue with him, it was more important to get it right.

> He was a very nice chap, and ISTM did the Trice thing for all the right
> reasons.
> >
> > He'd built this two seater Trice, a side-by-side, about the width of
> > mini. Square tubing and weighed about 55 pounds. Not much fun on your
> > own (but rideable), but with two, man that thing could move, easy 40mph
> > on the flat.

> That was a smart machine - ISTR he fetched it over when he was still
> sorting out the gears, and we went for a trundle around town. Do you
> know if he ever put it into production, or if not why not?

AFAIK he didn't, but I just found this...

http://www.2cancycle.com/

...and they mention Peter's concept.

Laters,

Marz

Bronzie wrote on 14/12/2006 18:05 +0100:

> I also seem to remember that a sports physiologist thought that a
> sustained 450W output was a physical imposibility for a human
> being............without some sort of artificial help.

Is that the same one that said bumble bees couldn't possibly fly?

--
Tony

"...has many omissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least
wildly inaccurate..."
Douglas Adams; The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Bronzie wrote:
> I did read somewhere that Basso was reckoned to put out approx. 450W
> while climbing (based on calcs of his known weight and speed during the
> climb rather than actually measured power output).
>
> If I've got my figures right, Lance was able to sustain 430W during a
> climb (ie for the last 10km rather than the whole race).
>
> I also seem to remember that a sports physiologist thought that a
> sustained 450W output was a physical imposibility for a human
> being............without some sort of artificial help.

But if you remember the Shimano oval chain rings that had to work best
were partly the invention of physiologists who did not understand
cycling ?????

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

in message <[email protected]>, John
Kane ('[email protected]') wrote:

> Bronzie wrote:
>> I did read somewhere that Basso was reckoned to put out approx. 450W
>> while climbing (based on calcs of his known weight and speed during the
>> climb rather than actually measured power output).
>>
>> If I've got my figures right, Lance was able to sustain 430W during a
>> climb (ie for the last 10km rather than the whole race).
>>
>> I also seem to remember that a sports physiologist thought that a
>> sustained 450W output was a physical imposibility for a human
>> being............without some sort of artificial help.

> But if you remember the Shimano oval chain rings that had to work best
> were partly the invention of physiologists who did not understand
> cycling ?????

I've got BioPace rings on my winter bike, courtesy of a kind gentleman on
this group. I used to swear by them, but now having two very similar bikes
with very similar gear ratios, one with BioPace and one (my summer bike)
without, I <mumble>can'ttellthedifference</mumble>.

;; Semper in faecibus sumus, sole profundum variat.

In news:[email protected],
Marz <[email protected]> tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell us:
> Rob Morley wrote:
>> In article <[email protected]>
>> Marz <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>
>>> When? Er, if memory serves, summer of 92 or 93.

>> I'd left Cornwall by then.
>>
>>> Peter was meticulous about his work and
>>> passionate about his customers and I learnt a lot. Money wasn't the
>>> issue with him, it was more important to get it right.

>> He was a very nice chap, and ISTM did the Trice thing for all the
>> right reasons.
>>>
>>> He'd built this two seater Trice, a side-by-side, about the width of
>>> mini. Square tubing and weighed about 55 pounds. Not much fun on
>>> your own (but rideable), but with two, man that thing could move,
>>> easy 40mph on the flat.

>> That was a smart machine - ISTR he fetched it over when he was still
>> sorting out the gears, and we went for a trundle around town. Do you
>> know if he ever put it into production, or if not why not?

> AFAIK he didn't, but I just found this...
>
> http://www.2cancycle.com/
>
> ..and they mention Peter's concept.

Yep, that one is the production version of the GEM...

--
Dave Larrington
Never give a gun to ducks.

In article <[email protected]>
Dave Larrington <[email protected]> wrote:
> In news:[email protected],
> Marz <[email protected]> tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell us:
> > Rob Morley wrote:

<snip>
> >> That was a smart machine - ISTR he fetched it over when he was still
> >> sorting out the gears, and we went for a trundle around town. Do you
> >> know if he ever put it into production, or if not why not?

> > AFAIK he didn't, but I just found this...
> >
> > http://www.2cancycle.com/
> >
> > ..and they mention Peter's concept.

> Yep, that one is the production version of the GEM...

I can see why Peter went for a delta rather than pursuing the tadpole
design, but there was something really appealing about the tadpole
prototype.
Having said that, this looks very much like the tandem that I never got
around to building:
http://www.outsideconnection.com/gallant/hpv/backToBack/
A somewhat different concept. :)
That bloke has made some really interesting homebrew bikes, like this
triplet:
http://www.outsideconnection.com/gallant/hpv/trandem/

Rob Morley wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>
> Dave Larrington <[email protected]> wrote:
> > In news:[email protected],
> > Marz <[email protected]> tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell us:
> > > Rob Morley wrote:

> <snip>
> > >
> > > AFAIK he didn't, but I just found this...
> > >
> > > http://www.2cancycle.com/
> > >
> > > ..and they mention Peter's concept.

> > Yep, that one is the production version of the GEM...
> >

> I can see why Peter went for a delta rather than pursuing the tadpole
> design, but there was something really appealing about the tadpole
> prototype.
> Having said that, this looks very much like the tandem that I never got
> around to building:
> http://www.outsideconnection.com/gallant/hpv/backToBack/
> A somewhat different concept. :)
> That bloke has made some really interesting homebrew bikes, like this
> triplet:
> http://www.outsideconnection.com/gallant/hpv/trandem/

A nice way to change the topic in the middle of a post. Always happens
in this group.

Marz wrote:
> Rob Morley wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>
> > Marz <[email protected]> wrote:

> > <snip>
> > >
> > > When? Er, if memory serves, summer of 92 or 93.

> > I'd left Cornwall by then.
> >
> > > Peter was meticulous about his work and
> > > passionate about his customers and I learnt a lot. Money wasn't the
> > > issue with him, it was more important to get it right.

> > He was a very nice chap, and ISTM did the Trice thing for all the right
> > reasons.
> > >
> > > He'd built this two seater Trice, a side-by-side, about the width of
> > > mini. Square tubing and weighed about 55 pounds. Not much fun on your
> > > own (but rideable), but with two, man that thing could move, easy 40mph
> > > on the flat.

> > That was a smart machine - ISTR he fetched it over when he was still
> > sorting out the gears, and we went for a trundle around town. Do you
> > know if he ever put it into production, or if not why not?

> AFAIK he didn't, but I just found this...
>
> http://www.2cancycle.com/
>
> ..and they mention Peter's concept.
>
> Laters,
>
> Marz

Two riders of equal capacity needed on that one, or the trice will
start turning

[email protected] wrote:
> Marz wrote:
> > AFAIK he didn't, but I just found this...
> >
> > http://www.2cancycle.com/
> >
> > ..and they mention Peter's concept.

> Two riders of equal capacity needed on that one, or the trice will
> start turning

No it won't, and of course it's not a Trice.

--
Dave...