UK and Europe · Public discussion

B&M Ixon / SMART handlebar mount compatibility

Started by kimble · · Last activity · 7 posts · 626 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
17 December 2007
Last activity
20 December 2007
Original author
kimble
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
626
Views / 30 days
13

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. This is probably a bit of a long shot, but...

    I'm a highly satisfied owner of the B&M Ixon IQ front light. Or at
    least, I was until this afternoon, when the somewhat dubious plastic cam
    that tightens the handlebar bracket self-destructed in the cold.
    Luckily I have a second bracket on my other bike, and replacements are
    readily available from bike24:
    <http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;product=4198;group=92;page=1;ID=7694bf121c959f3b2fb1d1389aac3de9>
    but given the less than impressive design (especially compared to the
    high quality of the light itself), I was wondering about alternatives.

    I know there's a fork mount, but tbh I'd prefer the light up on the
    handlebars, away from the mud, and within easy reach for changing
    brightness modes. I hear the fork mount is prone to catastrophic
    failure anyway.

    Anyway, while searching the web for cheap sources of Ixon brackets, I
    discovered the Smart Polaris brackets appear to be identical - see:
    <http://www.fisheroutdoor.co.uk/public/index.php/product/lighting/bulbsandlightfittings/lightfittingbrackets/LB622.html>

    So the first question: is there anyone who happens to have access to
    both who could confirm this, as the Smart brackets seem to be much
    easier to get hold of in the UK?

    I then noticed:
    <http://www.fisheroutdoor.co.uk/public/index.php/product/lighting/bulbsandlightfittings/lightfittingbrackets/LB601.html>
    which seems to be a sensible, screwdriver-requiring (and therefore less
    likely to get knocked loose or randomly nicked) bracket with the same
    type of mount, which, if compatible, is pretty much ideal for my purposes.

    I suppose my other option is to try the oversize version of the Ixon
    mount, with a bit of extra rubber to make up the difference. It's still
    plasticy, but looks a fair bit more solid.

    Kim.
    --

  2. "kimble" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:t5l6kf.v2l.ln@willow...

    Quoted message said:

    This is probably a bit of a long shot, but...

    Kim,

    At an improbability of 10,000:1 I think I can help on two counts.

    I have an Ixon IQ and a SMART Polaris 5. They do both fit on each other
    mounts. Sometimes I fit them the wrong way around by mistake, and have to
    swap back. I used to have the original Ixon too.

    The reason the cam broke is presumably because you did it up very tight
    because it kept swiveling (been there with my original Ixon). IF its the
    same problem I had this is because as you tighten it the one side of the
    mount (the prongs) impact on the other side. This is wrong. You need to open
    the OTHER side of the clamp first so the overall diameter of the mount is
    bigger, and then tighten it with the cam, but not so the two sides touch. If
    they do open the other side further. I was lucky mine bent but did not
    break. This is very counter-intuitive. Apologies if you don't understand
    what I mean, I can take a photo to explain tomorrow if need be. Also, did it
    really snap, or just bend badly? If the plastic prongs bent you can bend
    them back and it can still be serviceable, as they are in tension, not
    compression when done up properly.

    Also, personally I'd avoid the fork mount with the IQ as the beam is wider
    than deep to start with. I find the light pattern is excellent from the
    handlebars, once adjusted to a little higher angle than my old Ixon (non
    IQ).

    Also, also, probably worth dropping and Email to B&M telling them of your
    problems, you never know they might send you a mount. Always worth including
    you postal address, just in case :-)

    Regards,

    Jc.

  3. Josey said:

    At an improbability of 10,000:1 I think I can help on two counts.

    Wow, it's like the newsgroup has an infinite improbability drive 🙂

    Quoted message said:

    I have an Ixon IQ and a SMART Polaris 5. They do both fit on each other
    mounts. Sometimes I fit them the wrong way around by mistake, and have
    to swap back. I used to have the original Ixon too.

    Excellent news.

    Quoted message said:

    The reason the cam broke is presumably because you did it up very tight
    because it kept swiveling (been there with my original Ixon).

    Yeah, pretty much. The handlebars on my folding BSO are shiny stainless
    steel (so the rubber doesn't grip very well), of such a diameter that it
    really wants a half-turn round the thread for optimal tightness.
    Obviously, given the choice of a bit too tight or a bit too loose, I
    went for the former, with the inevitable result.

    Here's a pic of the broken cam:
    <http://www.ductilebiscuit.net/stuff/ixon_bracket_cam.jpg>

    I should say that I've had no such problems with the bracket on my Dawes
    hybrid, where the matte black handlebars lead to considerably less droop
    at saner tightnesses.

    Quoted message said:

    IF its the
    same problem I had this is because as you tighten it the one side of the
    mount (the prongs) impact on the other side. This is wrong.
    [snip]

    Different failure mode, see photo.

    Quoted message said:

    Also, personally I'd avoid the fork mount with the IQ as the beam is
    wider than deep to start with. I find the light pattern is excellent
    from the handlebars, once adjusted to a little higher angle than my old
    Ixon (non IQ).

    Agreed. I did invest in one when I bought the Ixon, as it was cheaper
    than the shipping to buy one separately later. Having experimented I
    also concluded that the illumination is better from the handlebars
    (especially on the folding bike where the fork is so low down), and all
    things being equal, I'd rather it were up where I can reach it and use
    the fork for a reflector.

    Quoted message said:

    Also, also, probably worth dropping and Email to B&M telling them of
    your problems, you never know they might send you a mount. Always worth
    including you postal address, just in case :-)

    Yes, good idea. They obviously put the work into designing their
    lights, so encouraging them to pay a bit more attention to the brackets
    is probably worthwhile. And a free bracket isn't to be sneezed at 🙂

    Thanks,

    Kim.
    --

  4. Quoting kimble <[email hidden]>:

    Quoted message said:

    Yeah, pretty much. The handlebars on my folding BSO are shiny stainless
    steel (so the rubber doesn't grip very well), of such a diameter that it
    really wants a half-turn round the thread for optimal tightness.

    In this situation, I wrap duct tape or a spare bit of rim tape round the
    handlebar, which gives it a rough surface and makes it slightly larger.
    --
    David Damerell <[email hidden]> Distortion Field!
    Today is Sunday, December - a weekend.

  5. Josey said:

    You need to
    open the OTHER side of the clamp first so the overall diameter of the
    mount is bigger, and then tighten it with the cam, but not so the two
    sides touch. If they do open the other side further.

    Having this morning received a Smart Polaris bracket (new but of unknown
    vintage, for a couple of quid on ebay), this now makes sense.

    It seems that although the bit that attaches to the light and
    cam-tightening mechanisms are identical, there are two different
    designs, the Smart having this additional adjustment that you refer to:

    <http://www.ductilebiscuit.net/stuff/ixon_bracket_smart_bracket.jpg>

    My broken Ixon bracket on the left, the Polaris bracket on the right.

    I note that the pin that secures the cam is more solid in the Polaris
    version - the Ixon one was able to slip out sideways if overtightened,
    which is probably how mine broke.

    For reference, the Ixon IQ fits the new bracket perfectly.

    Kim.
    --

  6. kimble said:
    Josey said:

    You need to
    open the OTHER side of the clamp first so the overall diameter of the
    mount is bigger, and then tighten it with the cam, but not so the two
    sides touch. If they do open the other side further.

    Having this morning received a Smart Polaris bracket (new but of
    unknown vintage, for a couple of quid on ebay), this now makes sense.

    It seems that although the bit that attaches to the light and
    cam-tightening mechanisms are identical, there are two different
    designs, the Smart having this additional adjustment that you refer
    to:
    <http://www.ductilebiscuit.net/stuff/ixon_bracket_smart_bracket.jpg>

    My broken Ixon bracket on the left, the Polaris bracket on the right.

    I note that the pin that secures the cam is more solid in the Polaris
    version - the Ixon one was able to slip out sideways if overtightened,
    which is probably how mine broke.

    Funny, I've had the opposite problem.

    The bracket on the left was also supplied by Smart with their previous
    versions of the Polaris light. The new bracket is lighter and can fit all
    bar sizes, but the pin and cam is not as robust, IME.

    By the way, if you ever find a light is too loose and rattly on one of these
    brackets, stick a neat rectangle of insulating tape on top of the bracket
    (as many layers as necessary) to fill up the space. Conversely, apply a dab
    of grease if a light is too tight.

    ~PB

  7. Quoted message said:

    kimble wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    It seems that although the bit that attaches to the light and
    cam-tightening mechanisms are identical, there are two different
    designs, the Smart having this additional adjustment that you refer
    to:
    <http://www.ductilebiscuit.net/stuff/ixon_bracket_smart_bracket.jpg>

    My broken Ixon bracket on the left, the Polaris bracket on the right.

    Apologies, I went and looked with a light, and my two brackets are identical
    to your two (except in one piece). I had forgotten the Ixon supplied bracket
    did not have the other adjuster. I can see now (and had forgotten) I had got
    around this by mounting the Ixon bracket on the center of the handlebars
    where the bar diameter is bigger.

    On the Ixon clip on the larger bar I only need to put very little pressure
    on the cam for it to lock in place, and of course because of the bigger
    diameter bar the prongs dont touch the round bit, glad you know what I
    meant!

    Jc.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.