UK and Europe ยท Public discussion

Handlebar mounted radio?

Started by KoperniK ยท ยท Last activity ยท 9 posts ยท 623 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
15 March 2006
Last activity
20 March 2006
Original author
KoperniK
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
623
Views / 30 days
3

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1โ€“9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi cycle ppl ๐Ÿ™‚

    Having little joy searching online for a UK stockist of these. At the moment
    I have a shower radio jerry-rigged to the handlebars with masking tape which
    splits every 40 miles or so. Just looking for a AM Radio that I can mount on
    the handlebars - any suggestions appreciated ๐Ÿ™‚

    While I'm here - I'm a 17 stone lad and that's a fair amount of weight to be
    pushing down on a saddle - Any well padded saddles out there for us
    strapping rugby lads?

    Thanks :>

    Jon

  2. Quoted message said:

    Having little joy searching online for a UK stockist of these. At the
    moment I have a shower radio jerry-rigged to the handlebars with
    masking tape which splits every 40 miles or so. Just looking for a AM
    Radio that I can mount on the handlebars - any suggestions appreciated
    ๐Ÿ™‚

    No link, but suggest either:

    Headphones and pocket radio (you can use the volume control if you want to
    hear the traffic)

    Gaffer tape. It's bomb proof.

    Quoted message said:

    While I'm here - I'm a 17 stone lad and that's a fair amount of weight
    to be pushing down on a saddle - Any well padded saddles out there for
    us strapping rugby lads?

    If you've just started cycling the [censored] can ache a little. Often tho, it's
    the squishy bits in the perineum (particularly if you've got low handlebars
    and need to lean forwards). A soft saddle will put more pressure on the
    squishy bits and less on your 'sit bones'.

    You want your weight to be taken by your 'sit bones'. Prod your butt
    cheeks and you'll feel two boney bits. A firm saddle of the right width
    will let these bones take your weight. If you're taking some weight on the
    perineum a cutout bit in the middle of the saddle should solve the problem.

    Any bike shop that sells Specialized saddle will have a measuring wossname
    -basically just a gel filled pad that you sit on - that'll tell you which
    saddles will fit.

  3. On 15/03/2006 at 23:10:40 KoperniK said:

    Hi cycle ppl ๐Ÿ™‚

    Having little joy searching online for a UK stockist of these. At the
    moment I have a shower radio jerry-rigged to the handlebars with
    masking tape which splits every 40 miles or so. Just looking for a AM
    Radio that I can mount on the handlebars - any suggestions
    appreciated ๐Ÿ™‚

    While I'm here - I'm a 17 stone lad and that's a fair amount of
    weight to be pushing down on a saddle - Any well padded saddles out
    there for us strapping rugby lads?

    Thanks :>

    Jon

    Tandy used to do them, possibly ebay may have some used ones.

    Or change your bike :-)
    http://www.nostalgic.net/database/ListItem.asp?Item=131

    --
    d{รด_รด}b _PK_

    "Some mornings, it's just not worth
    chewing through the leather straps."

  4. On 15/03/2006 at 23:10:40 KoperniK said:

    Hi cycle ppl ๐Ÿ™‚

    Having little joy searching online for a UK stockist of these. At the
    moment I have a shower radio jerry-rigged to the handlebars with
    masking tape which splits every 40 miles or so. Just looking for a AM
    Radio that I can mount on the handlebars - any suggestions
    appreciated ๐Ÿ™‚

    Found one on eBay ๐Ÿ™‚
    http://tinyurl.com/qcs8e

    --
    d{รด_รด}b _PK_

    "Some mornings, it's just not worth
    chewing through the leather straps."

  5. KoperniK said:

    Any well padded saddles out there for us
    strapping rugby lads?

    There's only one saddle for any self respecting strapping rugby lad
    http://sheldonbrown.com/real-man.html ;-)

    --
    Tony

    "The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the
    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

  6. in message <[email hidden]>, KoperniK

    (') said:

    Having little joy searching online for a UK stockist of these. At the
    moment I have a shower radio jerry-rigged to the handlebars with
    masking tape which splits every 40 miles or so. Just looking for a AM
    Radio that I can mount on the handlebars - any suggestions
    appreciated ๐Ÿ™‚

    Little teensie radio in the back pocket of your jersey, headphone wire
    through a little hole in the pocket and up inside the jersey.

    Quoted message said:

    While I'm here - I'm a 17 stone lad and that's a fair amount of weight
    to be pushing down on a saddle - Any well padded saddles out there for
    us strapping rugby lads?

    DO NOT get a padded saddle if you're doing any distance. Seriously. As
    hard as possible. With padded saddles your sitbones sink into the
    padding, transferring weight onto your urethra and other soft tissues,
    leading to everything from erectile disfunction to (allegedly) cancer.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    ;; L'etat c'est moi -- Louis XVI
    ;; I... we... the Government -- Tony Blair

  7. "KoperniK" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi cycle ppl ๐Ÿ™‚

    Having little joy searching online for a UK stockist of these. At the
    moment I have a shower radio jerry-rigged to the handlebars with masking
    tape which splits every 40 miles or so. Just looking for a AM Radio that I
    can mount on the handlebars - any suggestions appreciated ๐Ÿ™‚

    While I'm here - I'm a 17 stone lad and that's a fair amount of weight to
    be pushing down on a saddle - Any well padded saddles out there for us
    strapping rugby lads?

    Thanks :>

    Jon

    Greetings, Jon

    Well-padded saddle *does not* automatically equal comfort - even for those
    of us who are large. Honest.

    They key to saddle comfort is saddle fit and wearing a pair of proper
    cycling shorts (the ones with padded bottoms). If you don't fancy showing
    your rear in Lycra to the assembled hoardes, wear them under trousers.

    Saddle fit is very much an individual thing, so what is devine bliss for one
    bottom is hell on earth for another.

    Happy pedalling, helen s

  8. "KoperniK" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi cycle ppl ๐Ÿ™‚

    Having little joy searching online for a UK stockist of these. At the
    moment I have a shower radio jerry-rigged to the handlebars with masking
    tape which splits every 40 miles or so. Just looking for a AM Radio that I
    can mount on the handlebars - any suggestions appreciated ๐Ÿ™‚

    Get an el cheapo one of these from ebay. Since I pods came out people are
    "giving them away."

    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sony-MZ-G755-Minidisc-Player-Recorder-with-AM-FM-Radio_W0QQitemZ5879980959QQcategoryZ15056QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

    Not only can you play 5 hrs of music on 1 disc - there is an AM/FM radio in
    the remote control which you can attach to your jacket. 10 AM and 20 FM
    presets are available. Should get one for less than 20 quid!

    --
    Simon Mason
    http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

  9. Thank you all for your help ๐Ÿ™‚

    nice to see an active and friendly newsgroup!

    Jon

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users ยท 0 guests ยท0 bots ยท0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.