back again / moved to Ipswich

Mr R@t \(2.30 zulu-india\)

Guest
After a long absence from this group (almost 4 years) due to former
employers restrictive IT policies (they blocked Usenet access along with
lots of other stuff) I'm back again...

Used to live in Reading but relocated to Ipswich - am now a finance manager
for a local business. Currently riding a Raleigh Pioneer Metro LX hybrid
which is actually classed as a "company vehicle" - (all our sites are within
5 miles of each other) - will be bringing my Dawes Horizon over from Reading
in time for summer but it needs some servicing done..

Traffic seems a bit calmer than Reading as well! Many of the motorists wait
at side roads and don't rev their engines/hoot; complete strangers say hello
to you in the street - having always lived in Reading or London I'm not used
to this!

Anyway I'm interested to know if there are many other cyclists from Ipswich
on here - I remember Wafflycat was in Norfolk (but I won't be wearing
b*bshorts so needn't fear paving slabs) - and any comments on the best
LBS's....

I got my Raleigh from Moons Cycles on Old Norwich Road incidentally, not
only is it just down the road from my flat but the owner is roughly the same
height as me (1.63m) - when I spoke to him on the phone he seemed to know
about the potential problems in fitting bikes to blokes who are "short but
not *that* short..." (we are "between" a lot of frame sizes it seems)

Alex.

"Mr R@t (2.30 zulu-india)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> After a long absence from this group (almost 4 years) due to former
> employers restrictive IT policies (they blocked Usenet access along with
> lots of other stuff) I'm back again...

Remember it well - I thought you were a "John Troll" :)
Welcome back.

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

Following on from Mr R@t (2.30 zulu-india)'s message. . .
>b*bshorts so needn't fear paving slabs) - and any comments on the best
>LBS's....

Local Beer Shops
- You're in luck.

Town
- Dove
- Fat cat

Country
- Swilland : Moon and Mushroom (Don't take the direct route - details on
application) (6-10m)
- Naughton : Wheelhouse (20m)
- Brent Eleigh : **** (25m)
- Earl Soham : Victoria (25m)
- Framlingham : Station Hotel (Not Railway) (25m)

Distances approx.
Terrain easy - But a few minutes studying the way the rivers cut into
the plateaus (and a moment checking on the 'breeze' on the day) will pay
dividends. You can take your bike on the train to take advantage of a
good wind - the East Suffolk line is a treat.

--
PETER FOX Not the same since the adhesive company came unstuck
[email protected]

I would have thought Mr Whelan of this parish would be best placed to say
where the good shops are, as he's sort of in your area. If you are prepared
to go as far as Diss, there's Madgetts which is a good shop.

If you pootle over to Sudborne on Saturday afternoon, you'll see many a
cyclist doing a time trial. Sudbourne, Tunstall, Bentwaters covered on the
route. HQ is Sudborne village - good cakes. Starts at 2pm, last rider off
3.12pm

Cheers, helen s

> Remember it well - I thought you were a "John Troll" :)
> Welcome back.

I think we exchanged e-mails as well about radio stuff (that reminds me,
must set up the HF receiver in my flat)

I brought a small album of photos with me from Reading, amongst which is the
photo of that bike propped up by the electric cooker and some of the
workshop me and my friends set up; I am going to scan these and upload it to
the gallery of a site I help run :)

Alex

"Peter Fox" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> Town
> - Dove
> - Fat cat

Thanks for this! I'd actually had a look round your site as well a few days
ago.

I saw the Fat Cat mentioned somewhere else; was amused by the pub sign (a
tipsy-looking tom-cat propping itself up against a bin in which is an empty
bottle as well as a fish-head!)

Alex

Mr R@t (2.30 zulu-india) wrote:

> Traffic seems a bit calmer than Reading as well! Many of the motorists wait
> at side roads and don't rev their engines/hoot; complete strangers say hello
> to you in the street - having always lived in Reading or London I'm not used
> to this!

great isn't it? ;)

> Anyway I'm interested to know if there are many other cyclists from Ipswich
> on here - I remember Wafflycat was in Norfolk (but I won't be wearing
> b*bshorts so needn't fear paving slabs) - and any comments on the best
> LBS's....

depends what's your bag. The Ipswich bike shops are a mixed bag from
cheap stuff to silly money, offroad, commuter & road sports, plus
there's a few individuals with fine reputations for servicing & wheel
builds.

which bit of Ipswich are you in? Nearest main road will do, to point you
towards your L'est BS.

You realise you're now 55 minutes from D-Tek near Cambridge, & recumbent
riding lessons? :D

Phil, 4 miles north of Ipswich

"Phil Clarke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Mr R@t (2.30 zulu-india) wrote:
>>

> which bit of Ipswich are you in? Nearest main road will do, to point you
> towards your L'est BS.

the most local one to me is Moons, but I am certainly interested in the ones
in the town centre (although I am still getting used to the layout). Some
kids have been spinning round the bike route signs as well!

Incidentally, where are the safest places to park bikes in the "cobbled bit"
of the town centre? (preferably nearest to Maplins and Jessops...)

> You realise you're now 55 minutes from D-Tek near Cambridge, & recumbent
> riding lessons? :D
>
> Phil, 4 miles north of Ipswich

Hmm - never tried riding one - may give that a try some time

Thanks for your help

Alex

Mr R@t (2.30 zulu-india) wrote:
> "Peter Fox" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:[email protected]...
>

>>Town
>>- Dove
>>- Fat cat

> Thanks for this! I'd actually had a look round your site as well a few days
> ago.
>
> I saw the Fat Cat mentioned somewhere else; was amused by the pub sign (a
> tipsy-looking tom-cat propping itself up against a bin in which is an empty
> bottle as well as a fish-head!)
>
> Alex

http://www.beermad.org.uk/index.shtml is a site run by a chap living in
Ipswich (and aslo a cyclist and beer drinker)

--
"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal" (Fowler, Chicken Run)

Mr R@t (2.30 zulu-india) wrote:
> After a long absence from this group (almost 4 years) due to former
> employers restrictive IT policies (they blocked Usenet access along
> with lots of other stuff) I'm back again...
>
> Used to live in Reading but relocated to Ipswich
>
> Anyway I'm interested to know if there are many other cyclists from
> Ipswich on here -

Several, you've had Phil (waves back) say hello. And there are others from
within an 8 mile radius. I live a couple of miles out of town.

If you come down to St Margarets (middle of town) at 9.30 on most Sundays,
there are a couple of CTC runs (cake, tea and cycling run). The Suffolk CTC
website has all the details, including alternate pickup points, though for a
first trip or two, I think starting in the centre of town has less chance of
confusion or being the wrong place.

http://www.greenlivingcentre.org.uk/ctc/

And to answer the bike parking question, I usually lock mine to the lamp
posts in the street outside the shop in question (there are some near Maplin
and Jessops which you mentioned).
But I use bikes with low "theft bling", they are older tourer or flat-bar,
27in/700c wheels, mudguards, racks, big classic diamond frames. No MTB
flashy or springy bits. No carbon bits.

Outside of town, its fairly safe to leave bikes unlocked outside pubs,
shops, etc., though most people do use a basic lock to stop "ride away"
theft.

> I got my Raleigh from Moons Cycles on Old Norwich Road incidentally,

In town I'd probably start my shopping trips at either Elmy (two shops on
opposite sides of road on edge of town centre heading toward Spring Road) or
Thomas (Heath Road, near hospital, eastern edge of town).

There are two Halfords tin-sheds with bike-hut departments.
Various smaller shops in odd places around the town.
And numerous discounting "£69.95 cheap bike" shops, some of which come and
go rather rapidly.

For longer trips, two others worth a visit are in Bildeston and Diss, plus
the wacky world of D-Tek mentioned by Phil.

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

wafflycat wrote:

> I would have thought Mr Whelan of this parish would be best placed to
> say where the good shops are, as he's sort of in your area. If you are
> prepared to go as far as Diss, there's Madgetts which is a good shop.
>
> If you pootle over to Sudborne on Saturday afternoon, you'll see many a
> cyclist doing a time trial. Sudbourne, Tunstall, Bentwaters covered on
> the route. HQ is Sudborne village - good cakes. Starts at 2pm, last
> rider off 3.12pm
>
> Cheers, helen s

I just hope there aren't any small buses or other near-squish experiences

--
"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal" (Fowler, Chicken Run)

"Pete Whelan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I just hope there aren't any small buses or other near-squish experiences

True. Are you recovered completely from frazzled nerves? Is your good lady
completely recovered from the shock of seeing her beloved dice with death
due to terminally unobservant bus driver?

Cheers, helen s

Mr R@t (2.30 zulu-india) wrote:

> Anyway I'm interested to know if there are many other cyclists from Ipswich
> on here - I remember Wafflycat was in Norfolk (but I won't be wearing
> b*bshorts so needn't fear paving slabs)

I'm at Stowmarket, about a dozen miles away. I cycle to Ipswich every
Wednesday to go to Ipswich Transport Museum (right across the other side
of town from Norwich Road) where I'm vaguely responsible for looking
after the Museum's collection of cycles.

My LBS is, understandably, in Stowmarket but I believe Elmy's is the one
to go to in Ipswich nowadays (Bucks used to be the best, but they closed
years ago).

Further afield, there's Mick Madgett's wonderful shop in Diss and I've
heard nothing but good things about the one in Bildeston (but I still
haven't been there myself, despite it being a regular haunt of the local
region of the Tricycle Association).

--
Andrew

Mr R@t (2.30 zulu-india) wrote:

> the most local one to me is Moons, but I am certainly interested in the ones
> in the town centre (although I am still getting used to the layout).

Elmy is probly the best bike shop in the centre of town, IMHO. Its a sod
to park nearby if in the car though, especially during commuting hours.

> Incidentally, where are the safest places to park bikes in the "cobbled bit"
> of the town centre? (preferably nearest to Maplins and Jessops...)

Ooo, tricky. :) IMHO Ipswich is generally a very low crime area but as
with everywhere there are a few scrotes out there.

If you face Maplin, turn right & go to the next junction (Majors Corner)
there are some of those bit steel U's for locking your bike to, beside
the bus stop layby. (opposite the junction you can see the Milestone,
excellent ale + whisky + live music pub)

Opposite Maplin is Woolworths. To the right (facing Wooly's) is an alley
that leads to car parks behind Woolworths & the Co-op. Dont know if
theyve got any bike parking tho.

exciting fact: Elmy has 2 shops diagonally opposite each other on a
junction. If you come out of the commuter shop (as opposed to the road
racer shop) & turn right, follow that road for 2 miles to a viaduct,
keep following another 300 yards, then on the right is the Fat Cat,
second best pub in the area (after Swilland Moon & Mushroom).

Phil

wafflycat wrote:

> "Pete Whelan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>

>> I just hope there aren't any small buses or other near-squish experiences

> True. Are you recovered completely from frazzled nerves? Is your good
> lady completely recovered from the shock of seeing her beloved dice with
> death due to terminally unobservant bus driver?
>
> Cheers, helen s

I think we are OK. Coping with the flashbacks reasonably well

--
"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal" (Fowler, Chicken Run)