Bad Colnago paint?!?

glyde

Jan 16, 2004
I have been considering buying a new ride and, like many, have been drooling over Colnago. However, in my research I have seen more than one review where the Colnago frames have been given low marks for the quality of the paint application. The common complaint I have read is that after a couple of years, the paint begins to separate from the frame, bubble, and peel. Granted the performance should always be the driver for a frame purchase BUT, let's be honest, if you are spending that kind of money for a frame, you expect it to look good too.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this directly or had seen similar reviews.

Cheers!

I've heard of it. However, I have a Colnago Dream Plus that's a few years old (58cm ctt and for sale!) that still has excellent paint finish quality. My new C40 has great finish as well. Sure, it could bubble up later, but fo now it looks fine.

Originally posted by Aztec
I've heard of it. However, I have a Colnago Dream Plus that's a few years old (58cm ctt and for sale!) that still has excellent paint finish quality. My new C40 has great finish as well. Sure, it could bubble up later, but fo now it looks fine.
I have 2, one a 95 vintage and another about 99, and no issues.

I live near a bike shop that sells colnagos, they will take in your old/used colnago if you buy a new one; therfore they have on display/sale few old/second hand colnagos, and I have not seen any problems with the paint.

The real problem with Colnagos is that every paintjob looks outdated after 2 seasons because it's so "fancy";-) Live in rainy Denmark. Have never heard about problems like this from any of the members in my club. I wouldn't worry if I was you ...

Colnagos are hand painted/air brushed in multi-colors free hand while the most of other mfg's frames are basically solid color painting which is staight forward painting. And the decals of Nags are 'painted' using masks and templates instead of transfering mechanically produced decals. That's why no two Nag's are exactly same and they are always so far behind in painting dept.

My Look and Merckx frame is finished impeccably but have very exact mechanical designs on it, if any designs at all where as my Nag have distinctively hand painted beauty to it and also have some minor hand painted flaws on it.